MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

hey -- i have not heard from syracuse yet =(

have any clay people heard back from notre dame, or vcu, or risd, or cranbrook or mass art or tyler?

thanks!

great news about those of you with interviews!

Hey -- I haven't heard from VCU but I had an interview with Tyler a couple of weeks ago. Other than that I didn't apply anywhere else you listed. 

Hopefully this is helpful for some of you. It has been a busy week and I am so happy to not have to wait for some of these responses until mid march!

Was accepted to boulder (photo) on Tuesday via email.

Rejected yesterday from UCSD via email and Purchase via snail mail.

Edited by awuth

What's the deal with SAIC photo? I know some people on here have received interviews. but their fb page says that they'll send out notifications within the next 2 weeks. are those rejections then? or acceptances based on the interviews? both? I'm assuming I got rejected at this point but I just want to know for sure! are their interviews this weekend btw!

Hey Y'all,

New to the forums.  MFA Painting 2013 applicant.  Couple things...

people been hearing from Columbia? Rutgers? RISD? Carnegie Mellon? UCLA? 

I've been rejected by Yale and through some sleuthing today I found out the same is true for me with Temple.  Interviewed with New School, interviews with Cranbrook and SAIC forthcoming.  Got an email today from Otis inviting me to their accepted students page on FB.  Checked their website and saw I was accepted.

Anybody have any thoughts on how many applicants these schools bring in for interviews?  Just curious.  

Saw something about Columbia emails/ interview requests.  These were recent (as in yesterday) correct?  I want to get in thereeeeeeeeeeeee...

Has anyone resorted to calling admissions offices and asking about their statuses?  

I want to get my ducks all lined up in a row...

Best of luck everyone.  Love how people are non-judgmental and open to sharing on this website.  POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Hey Y'all,

New to the forums.  MFA Painting 2013 applicant.  Couple things...

I've been rejected by Yale and through some sleuthing today I found out the same is true for me with Temple.  Interviewed with New School, interviews with Cranbrook and SAIC forthcoming.  Got an email today from Otis inviting me to their accepted students page on FB.  Checked their website and saw I was accepted.

Anybody have any thoughts on how many applicants these schools bring in for interviews?  Just curious.  

Saw something about Columbia emails/ interview requests.  These were recent (as in yesterday) correct?  I want to get in thereeeeeeeeeeeee...

Has anyone resorted to calling admissions offices and asking about their statuses?  

Best of luck everyone.  Love how people are non-judgmental and open to sharing on this website.  POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Columbia: People have heard back, you can check Slideroom and if under "Submissions" your program name says "Painting 2013" and not "Painting 2013 MFA" you are probably out of the running. Or so it seems looking at evidence from the past couple years. Calling probably isn't going to get you anywhere.

Rutgers: As far as we know no one applying to painting at Rutgers has been notified yet, last year I think people were hearing into the first week of March.

RISD: I think some people have heard about interviews, someone correct me if I am wrong.

UCLA: I don't think anyone has heard anything back who applied to painting, once again, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Carnegie Mellon: Don't know anything, sorry.

Is this really true about the MFA next to Sculpture or Painting for Columbia's Slideroom page? 

How does one "sleuth" to find out Temple decisions? 

Also a thank you to everyone who has been posting, ya'll are great! 

Hi all.

Got the Otis Facebook email today which means acceptance. 

Still painfully waiting to hear from UC Riverside and UCLA.

I hope I don't wear out the refresh button on my email hitting it 600 times a day.

And I hope good things are coming your way.

Is this really true about the MFA next to Sculpture or Painting for Columbia's Slideroom page? 

How does one "sleuth" to find out Temple decisions? 

Also a thank you to everyone who has been posting, ya'll are great! 

they didnt notify me (or I havent gotten the letter in the post yet). I had to dig through their application a little.  sorry my vocabulary had to make you use quotation marks.  ditto ab Columbia.  gotta think the admissions dept there would catch onto that thing if it's so widely known.  or at least I can keep deluding myself.

Columbia: People have heard back, you can check Slideroom and if under "Submissions" your program name says "Painting 2013" and not "Painting 2013 MFA" you are probably out of the running. Or so it seems looking at evidence from the past couple years. Calling probably isn't going to get you anywhere.

Rutgers: As far as we know no one applying to painting at Rutgers has been notified yet, last year I think people were hearing into the first week of March.

RISD: I think some people have heard about interviews, someone correct me if I am wrong.

UCLA: I don't think anyone has heard anything back who applied to painting, once again, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Carnegie Mellon: Don't know anything, sorry.

For Columbia, was it through the post?  I seem to remember someone mentioning they made telephone calls? :P

UCLA has taken so long.  Cranbrook got back to me 7 days after the app was due in.  UCLA has been ab 7 weeks now.  

Any other CMU applicants out there?

Congrats on Rutgers! I haven't heard a peep from them. Someone mentioned getting a rejection e-mail? I don't even have that. So confused. This process is a sort of torture, isn't it?

Hey,

Just visited Rutgers today, Steven said they are still notifying folks!!!!

Yes, assuming rejection too. 

Skowhegan doesn't seem impossible. Just tough. Did you (or anyone else?) apply to the Vermont Studio Center? I live in Vermont, and have known a lot of people who've gotten in. Pretty good aid , plus "work-study"-ish opportunities available. Feb 15th deadline is past, but I'm sure there is another one coming up....

NURTUREart app is due tomorrow as well: 

http://nurtureart.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/opencallmaterials/Artist_AppliPack2013_14.pdf

I was a resident at the Vermont Studio Center in November/December of 2011.  It's pretty amazing.  I received a fellowship and I believe most of the folks I met were offered some type of combined work study and aid deal or were awarded a fellowship.  It's definitely worth the application fee. Apps are due in June, October, and Feb of every year.

Hey Y'all,

New to the forums. MFA Painting 2013 applicant. Couple things...

I've been rejected by Yale and through some sleuthing today I found out the same is true for me with Temple. Interviewed with New School, interviews with Cranbrook and SAIC forthcoming. Got an email today from Otis inviting me to their accepted students page on FB. Checked their website and saw I was accepted.

Anybody have any thoughts on how many applicants these schools bring in for interviews? Just curious.

Saw something about Columbia emails/ interview requests. These were recent (as in yesterday) correct? I want to get in thereeeeeeeeeeeee...

Best of luck everyone. Love how people are non-judgmental and open to sharing on this website. POWER TO THE PEOPLE

When were you asked to and when did you interview with New School/Parsons? I haven't heard anything from them..

Edited by cranejn

they didnt notify me (or I havent gotten the letter in the post yet). I had to dig through their application a little.  sorry my vocabulary had to make you use quotation marks.  ditto ab Columbia.  gotta think the admissions dept there would catch onto that thing if it's so widely known.  or at least I can keep deluding myself.

For Columbia, was it through the post?  I seem to remember someone mentioning they made telephone calls? :P

UCLA has taken so long.  Cranbrook got back to me 7 days after the app was due in.  UCLA has been ab 7 weeks now.  

Any other CMU applicants out there?

CMU actually has on their calendar that they are having an "MFA admissions committee meeting" for March 1.  I think it was all day, like 9-5.  So maybe they just go over all the apps. in one day?  Last year, people received rejections on March 2, so I'm expecting a rejection(haha) next week maybe?  Or over the weekend perhaps.  

Edited by hwrios

What did you think? Did you meet with current students and faculty? I'm going to try and visit next month.

Definitely try to make the trip!

I met with Stephen Westfall (Painting and Grad Director), Patrick Strzelec (Sculpture) and Ardele Lister (Media) and spoke with some of the painting and sculpture grads. Everyone was really down to earth and gave me some great advice.  The faculty knew the other programs I applied to and Stephen gave me a rundown of differences between Rutgers and Columbia. (Stephen teaches at Columbia once a semester).  I had really wonderful and frank conversations.

The facilities were really great!  There are two art buildings, the main building that houses the administrative offices, media, print, painting, and whatever else in New Brunswick and the sculpture building in Pacataway - a 10 minute drive down the road - that houses all the sculpture stuff. There are project spaces in both buildings that you can sign up for throughout the semester.  The sculpture building could be a problem if you don't have a car...

I saw the various sizes of studio spaces, I think the smaller spaces in the main building are still manageable depending on the type of work you are doing.  All of the studios in the sculpture building are the same size, size big.  Stephen mentioned the studio sizes are similar to Columbia, this was surprising since I've heard that the Columbia studios are really small.

My only concern is the media equipment.  In the New Brunswick building are several large Mac media labs that are loaded with every program you can think of - which is awesome.  Sculpture has a media lab as well, but no pro video editing software.  The media department definitely needs more equipment for folks interested in media installations like multi-channel monitor pieces and surround sound works though Stephen and Ardele said they will be getting some new thangs to update what they already have.

I have my BFA in Expanded Media from Alfred University where our media culture is heavy. We had access to a ton of old and new school media equipment from sophomore year onward so I'm unsure if that last critic is fair...I may just be in withdraw from my spoiled undergraduate media experience.

Overall, Rutgers is dope.

Hope this helps!

Edited by capers

I was accepted but still waiting to hear back from 2 other programs.

Did Stephen mention where they were in the notification process (how many more they are looking at)? I have yet to hear from them but am still hopeful. I feel they would be a good match for the work I am making.

Edited by ptsd-2013

Has anyone who interviewed at UChicago heard anything at all??

only "semi-unofficially" because of my own initiated contact... i think theyre still working on funding or something? who knows. email alison - shes got the scoop.

Did Stephen mention where they were in the notification process (how many more they are looking at)? I have yet to hear from them but am still hopeful. I feel they would be a good match for the work I am making.

most of us are under the impression that the accepted painters have not been notified yet.

Definitely try to make the trip!

I met with Stephen Westfall (Painting and Grad Director), Patrick Strzelec (Sculpture) and Ardele Lister (Media) and spoke with some of the painting and sculpture grads. Everyone was really down to earth and gave me some great advice.  The faculty knew the other programs I applied to and Stephen gave me a rundown of differences between Rutgers and Columbia. (Stephen teaches at Columbia once a semester).  I had really wonderful and frank conversations.

The facilities were really great!  There are two art buildings, the main building that houses the administrative offices, media, print, painting, and whatever else in New Brunswick and the sculpture building in Pacataway - a 10 minute drive down the road - that houses all the sculpture stuff. There are project spaces in both buildings that you can sign up for throughout the semester.  The sculpture building could be a problem if you don't have a car...

I saw the various sizes of studio spaces, I think the smaller spaces in the main building are still manageable depending on the type of work you are doing.  All of the studios in the sculpture building are the same size, size big.  Stephen mentioned the studio sizes are similar to Columbia, this was surprising since I've heard that the Columbia studios are really small.

My only concern is the media equipment.  In the New Brunswick building are several large Mac media labs that are loaded with every program you can think of - which is awesome.  Sculpture has a media lab as well, but no pro video editing equipment.  The media department definitely needs more equipment for folks interested in media installations like multi-channel monitor pieces and surround sound works though Stephen and Ardele said they will be getting some new thangs to update what they already have.

I have my BFA in Expanded Media from Alfred University where our media culture is heavy. We had access to a ton of old and new school media equipment from sophomore year onward so I'm unsure if that last critic is fair...I may just be in withdraw from my spoiled undergraduate media experience.

Overall, Rutgers is dope.

Hope this helps!

Yes, thank you, this is super helpful! Would you be able to elaborate on the differences between Columbia and Rutgers? I am really familiar with Columbia's program structure, but not as much with the details of the program at Rutgers. I've seen the studios at Columbia, I didn't think they were terribly small, though not all studios are created equal. I'm curious to check out the printmaking facilities at Rutgers, from what I've heard, they're supposed to be great. I can't wait to visit!