MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Anyone heard from UCSD and UCLA? I had to change my email AND phone  for security reasons a month ago and Im still trying to get both departments to change my email/phone on their file so I can log in and see whats up or they can call me. Its frustrating and im sure im frustrating them calling them all the time. Before people go WHAT WHY DID U CHANGE YOUR CONTACT INFO--- I truly wish I hadn't there wasn't a way around it

Can't say on SD cause I didn't apply, but I heard from UCLA. I guess I can shed some light on their process for sculpture anyway. I got an email from the area head to talk on the phone and was told I was a finalist, after the interview I was moved to recommend for admission and had to be cleared by the graduate division (I'm assuming the larger administrative body of the University). I can't say for sure if I'm in (knock on wood) or if having gone this long means a rejection for other hopefuls, but that's been my week. Suffice to say it's been nerve racking, exciting, barely ate/slept, and way too many of my peers/teachers here at my school know now lol.

Can't say on SD cause I didn't apply, but I heard from UCLA. I guess I can shed some light on their process for sculpture anyway. I got an email from the area head to talk on the phone and was told I was a finalist, after the interview I was moved to recommend for admission and had to be cleared by the graduate division (I'm assuming the larger administrative body of the University). I can't say for sure if I'm in (knock on wood) or if having gone this long means a rejection for other hopefuls, but that's been my week. Suffice to say it's been nerve racking, exciting, barely ate/slept, and way too many of my peers/teachers here at my school know now lol.

congrats!!! very exciting

I was put on the waitlist at Rutgers last year and they didn't notify me of it until the end of March. I think they do not have a hard-set schedule for how and when they notify people. With them, I would say as long as you haven't been told you were rejected, you probably still have a shot. 

really good to know, thanks robet. where did you end up - brooklyn or nyu?

Did they call you back and tell you about the move to admission or did they tell you on the phone the first time?

Congrats!!!!!

Did they call you back and tell you about the move to admission or did they tell you on the phone the first time?

Congrats!!!!!

It was mentioned on my first call then an email notice and now I'm waiting for some official confirmation. Thanks all.

I see in your signature that you got an email request for an interview with RISD. What department did you apply for, if you dont mind me asking?

I applied for Digital + Media.

congrats!!! very exciting

really good to know, thanks robet. where did you end up - brooklyn or nyu?

I ended up going to NYU and finishing up my first year now. Congratulations on the U. Of Chicago acceptance, that program seems awesome.

I ended up going to NYU and finishing up my first year now. Congratulations on the U. Of Chicago acceptance, that program seems awesome.

Ohh have we been roaming the same halls this whole time?

People that applied to Carnegie Mellon:

Check your slide room and see what it says pleasseeee and tell me!  

They are reviewing apps today.  Mine went from "MFA 2013" to "Sort"  LOL!   Doesn't sound good, but I'm curious if anyone has something different on theirs.  I KNOW I'm not getting in there, but I want a rejection ASAP because I need to do things soon. I've never been so impatient to get rejected from something!  

Mine says "Sort" as well. Hmmm. Oh well. This is a little like reading tea leaves. Who knows. 

Mine says "Sort" as well. Hmmm. Oh well. This is a little like reading tea leaves. Who knows. 

I don't know!  Supposedly they only accept like 6 people out of over 400 apps.  I'm expecting to be rejected, but i hope they get it over with.  

For all of you waiting on a reply from Rutgers: 

From what i have heard - and I have no "official" word on this, so take it with a grain of salt - they have changed their wait-list procedure from last year. So, until you receive an official notification from them either way, don't assume rejection. Personally, I received a snail-mail letter last year, while others were called - and then my status wasn't changed in the system until sometime after I had been notified. 

And just as a general rule of thumb, from my experience last year: no news is good news. Until you have have a definite decision, don't assume anything. There was one school for me last year that I didn't get an official acceptance from until April. All these institutions are working on their own timetable - annoying for sure, but don't automatically assume all hope is lost. 

Hi,

I have interview scheduled with RISD (3 year MFA Graphic Design) this friday. I am really freaking out. Can anyone please give me some hints about the questions they ask in the interviews.

Thanks

Ohh have we been roaming the same halls this whole time?

Oh, you're an undergrad at NYU, right? Yeah, I guess so then! I don't use the basement often so I don't know any of the undergrad sculpture students.

Big time congratulations on UCLA, that program is crazy awesome right now!

For all of you waiting on a reply from Rutgers: 

From what i have heard - and I have no "official" word on this, so take it with a grain of salt - they have changed their wait-list procedure from last year. So, until you receive an official notification from them either way, don't assume rejection. Personally, I received a snail-mail letter last year, while others were called - and then my status wasn't changed in the system until sometime after I had been notified. 

And just as a general rule of thumb, from my experience last year: no news is good news. Until you have have a definite decision, don't assume anything. There was one school for me last year that I didn't get an official acceptance from until April. All these institutions are working on their own timetable - annoying for sure, but don't automatically assume all hope is lost. 

I think this is sound advice. Some schools work on a very rigid schedule of notifying people, but many don't. I know here at NYU for example it is not super structured as far as dates they notify people. If you haven't been notified of flat out rejection, there is always hope still.

It has probably been addressed before, but I figured I'd ask for advice on meeting with Graduate Directors?

I was accepted and invited to visit the campus, the professor I've been speaking to set up a meeting for me with the department grad director. Is that the sort of thing where we might discuss funding opportunities, or is it just to help get a sense of direction?

Also--- anyone have any pointers on what sort of questions I can ask of them to help to flesh out our possible future relationship (the department & I)?

I've seen a few people ask about Concordia.  I still haven't heard anything from them.  Anyone got an answer - positive or negative - from Concordia MFA? 

Hi!

I have received a rejection on the 28th through email.

Hope that helps!

Hi!

I have received a rejection on the 28th through email.

Hope that helps!

MisiaMisia, if you don't mind me asking, what program were you applying for?

Edited by Lucia Weird

Acceptance email from Penn State! Ahhhjdsarjmbxuogew!!!!! And it's my birthday weekend, ah time to go celebrate!

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!!! Go have some fun!

Ahh... finally some good news! I received an email from RISD today about making it into their semi finalists group. I will have an interview this week! I'm nervous about questions, that could be asked. Has anyone had an interview with RISD yet?? Any pointers would be most welcome. 

Ahh... finally some good news! I received an email from RISD today about making it into their semi finalists group. I will have an interview this week! I'm nervous about questions, that could be asked. Has anyone had an interview with RISD yet?? Any pointers would be most welcome. 
Congrats! Do you mind me asking if you applied to ceramics or sculpture for risd?