MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

only "semi-unofficially" because of my own initiated contact... i think theyre still working on funding or something? who knows. email alison - shes got the scoop.

Was she able to tell you of your admissions standing or just that they were still in the process of distributing funding?

Thank you so much for sharing!

Was she able to tell you of your admissions standing or just that they were still in the process of distributing funding?

Thank you so much for sharing!

She was. I emailed her 2 days after the interview (Friday) out of immature impatience because I was super-wooed by the program/faculty/building/campus/everything... Couldn't help it (and regretted it the whole weekend for fear it would annoy them). She got back to me the following Monday (last Monday) with the best news I could have hoped for. However, she said official word wouldn't be for at least a few days and up to a few weeks. The funding comment was pure speculation, I have no idea what their process/situation is. For all I know, they could still be deciding on a spot or two.. Seemed like a pretty impressive group of interviewees Edited by indigoconcord

I just got an email notifying of acceptance to UCL Slade (in Painting) and am totally over the moon! It's been only a week since the interviews, so I am very impressed by their speediness. I thought the interview was delightful (!) and so were the people I met. Slade is absolutely one of my top choices. It'll all depend on funding, so we'll see, but this is the best possible first news I could have gotten.

Ok, maybe, I'll try to calm down now. I've been reading this forum for ~3 years now, so it is a total relief that for once I have some good news, too. PHEW.

Congrats to all others with good news and good luck on those upcoming interviews!!!!

Edited by Lightswitch

For risd, it seems like only architecture, graphic design and MAYBE some painting. No ideas on any of the others

Someone earlier this week mentioned that they knew a RISD printmaking grad, and this person said that they were reviewing people starting on Monday. So hopefully no news is good news for the moment... 

Someone earlier this week mentioned that they knew a RISD printmaking grad, and this person said that they were reviewing people starting on Monday. So hopefully no news is good news for the moment... 

Correction: they were reviewing people starting this past Monday

does anyone out there have an undergrad in art ed. vs. bfa? my degree is in art ed. though i took plenty of studio and travel abroad programs i'm wondering if this is hurting my chances of getting into grad school? out of 9 schools i've only heard back from 1 (decline). if i don't get in, i'm wondering if i should get my bfa?

does anyone out there have an undergrad in art ed. vs. bfa? my degree is in art ed. though i took plenty of studio and travel abroad programs i'm wondering if this is hurting my chances of getting into grad school? out of 9 schools i've only heard back from 1 (decline). if i don't get in, i'm wondering if i should get my bfa?

I don't think getting your BFA would help you very much, it would be better to just work on your portfolio.

No longer wait-listed at Ohio State.....Full tuition, TA and stipend! Now if all of my other schools would join in on the negotiations so I can make my decision and get on with my life!!!!

Congrats!! How were you contacted?

I don't understand this statement, the K Foundation burning a million quid points at the "BS PROCESS" of Bemis? The people you scammed? The Turner Prize?

I think people deciding to burn a million pounds, all the money they had and more than most people can ever make is an interesting act, not something that can actually be taken as lightly as so many other acts of protest or political action. If only for the true difficulty that exists in making that choice and following through.

Agreed that the topic of burning a million quid is loaded. I still have to check that video out. I was only talking about the BS process that one goes through to apply for big name residencies just to get rejected. It's how it is, but its all a big rig. These places want to promote their status by accepting people from big name art affiliates. Realized it first hand.

I applied to a university for a solo show in their gallery. They accepted my application and when I showed up to set up, the director was very surprised that I was so young and work so developed. Couldn't believe I didn't even have an MFA. Shit, i was only 22. He goes 'we normally don't accept such your artists early in their career, guess I should have read your resume.' Without knowing, he was looking for some connection to a bigger organization and all he got was me, some nobody in the grand scheme of the art world.

Show was a success and at least I got some fancy food from some fancy restaurant. What a bunch of hacks!

You can post your work and people can give feedback on if they think your work is MFA ready. One thing I've noticed on this forum is people applying to the wrong school for them. I've been tempted to tell a few this, but haven't. While these folks are definitely grad school ready, they are picking schools like Yale and Columbia when they would have a great shot at great schools like UGA.

Don't worry about only hearing back from one school.

I applied to 7, got rejected from 2 early on, accepted by 1 (no interview) and was freaking out about the other 4, but just got a call for one. So I'd say don't give up hope yet...not everyone interviews!

Alfred-Phone call rejection from head of sculpture....urged to apply next year. 

UNM-letter of rejection a few weeks ago.

UNCG-Phone interview last week

University at Albany-wait listed until April....urged to come visit

RIT-hasn't gone through any applications.

yay!  Apparently my transcripts disappeared into thin air!  (trying to not blame it on my school being incompetent).  Payment showed up on credit card, and I received confirmation emails that they had been sent.  But none of the schools received them.  (and this was back in December.)  I think that the schools are being merciful to me though because they said they will accept my unofficial ones until I can resend them.   

I really feel like going into the Registrar's office and telling someone off. Instead I think I will harness my anger into a new painting. LOL