MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Hey everybody,

Just received an Interview request for Columbia's New Genres / Sculpture programs for Thursday March 14th.

Check your emails y'all and good luck!!!!!

Congrats on Rutgers! I haven't heard a peep from them. Someone mentioned getting a rejection e-mail? I don't even have that. So confused. This process is a sort of torture, isn't it?

awesome.

they have a fantastic printmaking program.  Nicola Lopez went there.... she's one of my fav. artists.

Props on liking Nicola Lopez, she's really dope. By the way, to anyone who applied to MICA they'll be sending final decisions the 2nd week of March. As for Tyler, Rutgers, and Hunter I haven't heard anything from them so I'm assuming the longer silence doesn't bode well for my chances. 

Edited by chefgummydee

Hey everybody,

Just received an Interview request for Columbia's New Genres / Sculpture programs for Thursday March 14th.

Check your emails y'all and good luck!!!!!

- got that interview request also. Congrats. My interview date is a day after yours though.

received an email from rutgers and assumed it was a rejection... but it ended up being about transcripts. called to see what was going on, and apparently theyre "still notifying accepted applicants."

also called ucla. "the graduate division (mfa-painting) has not notified any applicants of decisions." "the graduate division" seems like a loose term, but who knows...

received an email from rutgers and assumed it was a rejection... but it ended up being about transcripts. called to see what was going on, and apparently theyre "still notifying accepted applicants."

also called ucla. "the graduate division (mfa-painting) has not notified any applicants of decisions." "the graduate division" seems like a loose term, but who knows...

It's hard not to freak out (when I saw you were posting in here I assumed you were going to say you had been accepted to Rutgers and I was going to have to scratch it off my list) but looking through last years forum this seems to just be how it goes with Rutgers. People were hearing back via e-mail, phone calls, and the status page for a few weeks.

I don't know what is going on with UCLA, I visited the school and went to an information session and the admissions woman seemed pretty adamant that they don't interview. But all the evidence seems to be to the contrary, what is up with that? I know that one of the painters that I talked to there said she hadn't been interviewed, but just got a call saying that she was excepted. Has anyone heard that their references were being called? They also seemed to insist they only did that if they had "specific questions," whatever that might mean.

Then there is the elusive USC, which it seems like no one knows anything about. I actually forgot to bring a pen with me to the info session there, so...

Hopefully we can both hear back some good news from Rutgers soon, I am pretty excited by their program and they are actually reasonably priced. 

Edited by bengston

just had my phone interview with VCU. I think it went okay. I did my best and we will see what happens but when he was telling me more about the program I just wanted to yell "your program is perfect for meeeee!" haha I'll definitely be disappointed if I get rejected. it seems like such an awesome school! :wub:

anyways.. the questions were: "talk me through the work in your portfolio", "what interests you about VCU?" "what are some of your influences? (artists, authors etc)" "tell me something else about your self/what do you like to do outside of your art practice?" and  "do you have any questions..." to which I asked him to tell me more about the program/a typical week/interaction with faculty and also how often students engage with each other across disciplines within the school of art... I think that was it.. *crossing fingers like a maniac*

the USC deadline was fairly recent - Feb 1. Considering that some of us are still waiting on schools with deadlines in early Jan, I personally think it is safe to say that it is a bit early to expect to hear from USC. 

That said, I don't have any info on them at all either... this is just my own reasoning. 

It's hard not to freak out (when I saw you were posting in here I assumed you were going to say you had been accepted to Rutgers and I was going to have to scratch it off my list) but looking through last years forum this seems to just be how it goes with Rutgers. People were hearing back via e-mail, phone calls, and the status page for a few weeks.

I don't know what is going on with UCLA, I visited the school and went to an information session and the admissions woman seemed pretty adamant that they don't interview. But all the evidence seems to be to the contrary, what is up with that? I know that one of the painters that I talked to there said she hadn't been interviewed, but just got a call saying that she was excepted. Has anyone heard that their references were being called? They also seemed to insist they only did that if they had "specific questions," whatever that might mean.

Then there is the elusive USC, which it seems like no one knows anything about. I actually forgot to bring a pen with me to the info session there, so...

rutgers takes the cake for "weirdest admissions process" so far. ucla and usc are tied for "most mysterious." there was word of a possible ucla-painting acceptance on here last week, so my hopes arent too high.. but i cant say they ever were.

Hopefully we can both hear back some good news from Rutgers soon, I am pretty excited by their program and they are actually reasonably priced. 

yes! me too. seems like a pretty great fit as well

the USC deadline was fairly recent - Feb 1. Considering that some of us are still waiting on schools with deadlines in early Jan, I personally think it is safe to say that it is a bit early to expect to hear from USC. 

That said, I don't have any info on them at all either... this is just my own reasoning. 

im under the impression that they interview some people via phone right around this time/next week. could be wrong

Edited by indigoconcord

im under the impression that they interview some people via phone right around this time/next week. could be wrong

I keep thinking in my head that if they were to do interviews this week, then they should have notified applicants last week so they could prepare for the interview, right? Same goes if they interview next week, we should be hearing this week about a possible interview? Man, I just want an interview with them. They'll chat with me on the phone and be like, yeah shes cool lets take her! 

I got a call from University of North Texas this afternoon. They informed me I was one of five applicants selected. I politely declined, as I've already sent in my acceptance to Boulder. My biggest thought was that I'm so happy that my decline gave a second chance to someone who was wait-listed :).

I keep thinking in my head that if they were to do interviews this week, then they should have notified applicants last week so they could prepare for the interview, right? Same goes if they interview next week, we should be hearing this week about a possible interview? Man, I just want an interview with them. They'll chat with me on the phone and be like, yeah shes cool lets take her! 

I dunno, seems like southern california is all about the casual surprise.

Props on liking Nicola Lopez, she's really dope. By the way, to anyone who applied to MICA they'll be sending final decisions the 2nd week of March. As for Tyler, Rutgers, and Hunter I haven't heard anything from them so I'm assuming the longer silence doesn't bode well for my chances. 

No, not for Hunter.  If you look on their calendar it says "MFA admissions phone interviews" for March 13.   Since no one seems to have heard anything at all from them, I certainly wouldn't cross them off your list yet.  

Well, my Columbia app now says I applied to New Genres? WHY! I applied to painting! It just switched me? Or, I might be an idiot. Well, no MFA after my name so there we have it. I actually would rather it be my fault... Moving right along! 

Best of luck to all who have Columbia interviews!

What do you guys mean by an "MFA" after your name? Where would that be?

I am not 100% on this, but just in program applied for in Slideroom, mine just says New Genres. Instead of New Genres MFA? BC apparently that was the program I applied for. I just have to laugh at myself at this point.