Fall 2013 Chemistry and Biochemistry

Khearts

Just got an email saying georgia tech didn't receive 2 of my LOR.  I wish they had an online system that let me know whether or not they were received like every other school because I would've emailed my profs until they did it.  Luckily the graduate coordinator said I could have them email her the letter directly.  Hope it all works out but both profs told me they submitted all of mine.  Does anyone know if this will negatively effect my chances?

They actually do have an online system, but I assume you did the free chemistry "pre-application" instead?

I'm pretty sure it will be fine, the deadline wasn't that long ago, they're probably still right in the middle of reviewing applications. This situation is probably fairly common exactly because there aren't any automatic confirmations.

Has anyone heard anything from Princeton yet? I haven't seen any except for the one in December, and they had sent out almost all of their decisions by this time last year.

Has anyone heard anything from Princeton yet? I haven't seen any except for the one in December, and they had sent out almost all of their decisions by this time last year.

So I have a very small connection to Princeton's Chemistry program and I was indirectly told that a few of the important admissions people were sick this year so they were delayed in getting the decisions out, but they were hoping to have them done by late this week or early next week. So we'll see I guess.

So I have a very small connection to Princeton's Chemistry program and I was indirectly told that a few of the important admissions people were sick this year so they were delayed in getting the decisions out, but they were hoping to have them done by late this week or early next week. So we'll see I guess.

thanks

They indicated a similar thing to me in their last email. 

I get more pumped for Stanford every day. I would really like to hear back from Columbia though - I hope they still have some offers to make! Anyone got info on Columbia's admissions perchance?

Heard nothing from Columbia either or from any of my other top choices, but I have also been incredibly pumped for Stanford for a while now.  It was my top choice going in and I just can't wait to visit at this point!!

When do you think you are visiting, Ajak?

Just got an email saying georgia tech didn't receive 2 of my LOR.  I wish they had an online system that let me know whether or not they were received like every other school because I would've emailed my profs until they did it.  Luckily the graduate coordinator said I could have them email her the letter directly.  Hope it all works out but both profs told me they submitted all of mine.  Does anyone know if this will negatively effect my chances?

The fact that they contacted you directly about the issue is a good sign, if they were not interested in your application I don't imagine they would have taken the time to do that so look at it in a positive light.

They indicated a similar thing to me in their last email. 

Thanks! I've been freaking out about it, so it's nice to hear the reason for the delay.

I received a generic email from the Yale Office of Graduate Studies to check my online account because a decision had been made. I honestly thought it was a rejection because of the way it was sent but was pleased to see I was accepted. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Applied: Princeton, Yale, UT-Austin, WashU, Georgia Tech, UCLA, UChicago, UCSB

Accepted: Yale, UT-Austin, WashU, Georgia Tech, UCSB

Denied:

Thank you for the insider information - that's useful to know. Just goes to show how arbitrary decision dates can be.

I figure that as long as people aren't posting Acceptances on the Results List it means I'm still in with a chance. 

Has anyone heard from BU or Columbia yet? Guesses as to when then will make a decision?

I haven't heard anything from BU yet, but according to the results from last year we probably wont hear back until mid-late february

Has anyone heard from BU or Columbia yet? Guesses as to when then will make a decision?

I haven't heard from Columbia either but have seen some acceptances on the results page, no rejections yet though.  Hoping that there is still another round of acceptances to come.

Got Madison and Yale today! I'm liking my results this year.

Heard nothing from Columbia either or from any of my other top choices, but I have also been incredibly pumped for Stanford for a while now.  It was my top choice going in and I just can't wait to visit at this point!!

When do you think you are visiting, Ajak?

I have absolutely no idea when I'm going to visit. Honestly, I havn't even begun to plan visit weekends yet. Now that my application season is pretty much over I'm going to start planning stuff. Pretty sure Stanford is my top choice - I somehow managed to find another professor (Kanan) who I'm interested in. Must have accidentally looked over his webpage before... don't know how???

I finally booked all the flights and everything for visiting. For three straight weeks in March (1st, 8th, 15th), I will be flying to California from Boston. I'm so excited for these weekends! However, I have a feeling I'll be like a zombie during the weekdays...

I finally booked all the flights and everything for visiting. For three straight weeks in March (1st, 8th, 15th), I will be flying to California from Boston. I'm so excited for these weekends! However, I have a feeling I'll be like a zombie during the weekdays...

Hopefully they are all non-stop!

Accepted to Princeton via an email just now, maybe they're finally rolling out decisions.  Visitation days are : February 15-16, March 8-9, March 22-23.  I also got a phone acceptance from Yale yesterday, and they only have one visitation weekend in February as someone already mentioned.  

I wonder what the vibe is like if you opt for an informal visit that doesn't fall on one of these visitation dates.  The profs probably wouldn't be as available, but you might get a more honest impression of the department...

@coppernanotubes (from a few weeks ago): I got the call from prof Chris Chang at Berkeley, and I'm interested in working wither either him, Arnold, Hartwig, or Tilley.

I wonder what the vibe is like if you opt for an informal visit that doesn't fall on one of these visitation dates.  The profs probably wouldn't be as available, but you might get a more honest impression of the department...

I visited a couple of schools very informally over the summer (just for half days, really). I can't really compare to any formal visitation weekends, but I imagine you'd feel less rushed off your feet and have more chance to talk with students & explore on your own. I would also find it easier to pick up the vibe of the place when I wasn't surrounded by a large group of applicants. The Professors might be otherwise engaged, but if they're not then at least you aren't the 20th prospective student they've spoken with that day...

Oh, and congratulations on getting admitted!

I'll be there that weekend.

Cool. It looks like there will be three GCers there that weekend. I'm not sure what to expect as this will be my first visit anywhere, so it should be an interesting experience. How many people do you think they will have that weekend?

Edited by Faraday