Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Hello! I'm not sure if there is an official way to proceed but from what I've read, at this point it cannot hurt.  Of course, there is a fine line between reiterating interest and being pushy. As long as you can send a *brief* professional email stating that you are still very interested in their program, I honestly don't see the harm.  Anecdotally, I've had one friend who called a few times while being waitlisted and was ultimately accepted.  Mind you, this was a few years back.  Basically, what I took from it was that it didn't hurt her because she was expressing interest but not being annoying.  Also, we are almost into July so I suspect that the admissions dept is slowing down considerably.  If it was still April or May, it might be a different story.

Good luck!

I know that this comment wasn't for me, but I was just wondering whether it is a good idea to contact U of T to reiterate an interest in the program? I always thought that it was better to not bother them as they're really busy with admissions right now... but do you know from experience if they actually prefer waitlisted individuals to send an email to let the admissions committee know that they're still interested? I'd really appreciate some guidance for whether or not it's a good idea to contact them, as I've never done that before! 

After some long, long, and longer consideration, I retracted my acceptance to U of T. I've been reading this thread for a long time and have always been so impressed by the encouragement and support that everyone gives. I can only hope that my spot opens up for someone on the waitlist here.

Whatever the reason you had to retract your acceptance, that must have been an incredibly hard decision.  If you don't mind me asking, were you accepted elsewhere or did you decide that an MSW is not the best career direction for you?

After some long, long, and longer consideration, I retracted my acceptance to U of T. I've been reading this thread for a long time and have always been so impressed by the encouragement and support that everyone gives. I can only hope that my spot opens up for someone on the waitlist here.

That must have been a difficult decision for you. Was this for the one or two year?

I'm still waitlisted for my BSW program. I was told I the waitlist moved so I am now at #2 and I have good chances but I am really stressed out about it. It would be terrible to be cut off at number 1 or 2. I don't really have much of a plan B either. Does anyone have info on Uvic's BSW program? I feel like I am alone in the whole Internet world (this site seems to be only MSW people from Ontario).

You are definitely in a good position for being at the top of the waitlist!  I know that the stress can be overwhelming but hang in there. There is still plenty of time to get admitted. Plan B can be as simple as volunteering at different organizations and getting more experience under your belt. It could be taking relevant courses to buff up your gpa.  The bottom line is that if the worst happens and the waitlist stops moving, you have plenty of opportunity to better your application for next time.  Believe me, as much as it sucks to have to wait another academic year to get your dream started, it is not the end of the world.  Have faith that everything will eventually fall in to place.

All the best and good luck!

I'm still waitlisted for my BSW program. I was told I the waitlist moved so I am now at #2 and I have good chances but I am really stressed out about it. It would be terrible to be cut off at number 1 or 2. I don't really have much of a plan B either. Does anyone have info on Uvic's BSW program? I feel like I am alone in the whole Internet world (this site seems to be only MSW people from Ontario).

I know that this comment wasn't for me, but I was just wondering whether it is a good idea to contact U of T to reiterate an interest in the program? I always thought that it was better to not bother them as they're really busy with admissions right now... but do you know from experience if they actually prefer waitlisted individuals to send an email to let the admissions committee know that they're still interested? I'd really appreciate some guidance for whether or not it's a good idea to contact them, as I've never done that before! 

I messaged someone who was wait listed last year and got in the very first week of September. She said she contacted admissions about once a month to let them know she was still interested, she also said it's a good idea to send in an updated resume. I think the second suggestion makes a lot of sense and I sent in an updated resume last month. I recently signed up for a free social work course offered by the University of Toronto...I might try finding a way to add this to my resume as well so I can subtly show them that I'm 100% committed to improving my skill set. 

I messaged someone who was wait listed last year and got in the very first week of September. She said she contacted admissions about once a month to let them know she was still interested, she also said it's a good idea to send in an updated resume. I think the second suggestion makes a lot of sense and I sent in an updated resume last month. I recently signed up for a free social work course offered by the University of Toronto...I might try finding a way to add this to my resume as well so I can subtly show them that I'm 100% committed to improving my skill set.

It's always encouraging to hear about people who have gotten off the waitlist. Also, if I may ask, what is your experience like?

Edited by DreamingMSW

You are definitely in a good position for being at the top of the waitlist!  I know that the stress can be overwhelming but hang in there. There is still plenty of time to get admitted. Plan B can be as simple as volunteering at different organizations and getting more experience under your belt. It could be taking relevant courses to buff up your gpa.  The bottom line is that if the worst happens and the waitlist stops moving, you have plenty of opportunity to better your application for next time.  Believe me, as much as it sucks to have to wait another academic year to get your dream started, it is not the end of the world.  Have faith that everything will eventually fall in to place.

All the best and good luck!

Thanks a lot for the encouragement!! I am definitely trying to stay positive, especially since admissions told me I have a very good chance. It's just so agonizing to be so close yet so far! I hope I find out one way or another very soon, so at least I can plan for the fall. Waitlists are painful!!

Thanks a lot for the encouragement!! I am definitely trying to stay positive, especially since admissions told me I have a very good chance. It's just so agonizing to be so close yet so far! I hope I find out one way or another very soon, so at least I can plan for the fall. Waitlists are painful!!
It definitely is!! But you are in a good place. It's great they tell you your rank. It's only late June. Still time for movement. Stay hopeful!

It's always encouraging to hear about people who have gotten off the waitlist. Also, if I may ask, what is your experience like?

Unfortunately my experience is on the low side. I attended UofT for undergrad and I had pretty great grades but had to sacrifice more hands-on experience so I could study during the year without having a million anxiety attacks. I also got pretty lazy in the summers up until 3rd year so might have some gaps on my resume. Other than that I volunteered here and there at a food kitchen and early years centre...I recently got a job working with young adults who have developmental challenges. Hopefully if I don't get in off the waitlist, the experience I gain in the next few months will help improve my chances. Compared to most, my experience is extremely minimal so I definitely think my grades are what landed me on the waitlist. 

Unfortunately my experience is on the low side. I attended UofT for undergrad and I had pretty great grades but had to sacrifice more hands-on experience so I could study during the year without having a million anxiety attacks. I also got pretty lazy in the summers up until 3rd year so might have some gaps on my resume. Other than that I volunteered here and there at a food kitchen and early years centre...I recently got a job working with young adults who have developmental challenges. Hopefully if I don't get in off the waitlist, the experience I gain in the next few months will help improve my chances. Compared to most, my experience is extremely minimal so I definitely think my grades are what landed me on the waitlist. 
Well just as you said- if you don't get in (which hopefully you will) you are young and just out of school. You have plenty of time to get more experience. More experience will help you land a job after the program as well since you would be competing with everyone who graduates.

Whatever the reason you had to retract your acceptance, that must have been an incredibly hard decision.  If you don't mind me asking, were you accepted elsewhere or did you decide that an MSW is not the best career direction for you?
It definitely was hard. And I don't mind. My goal had always been to go into clinical psych, and after applying last year and not getting in, I was accepted to an American school this year. I also applied to some other programs, including social work. For many reasons, social work at U of T had some major advantages compared to the clinical psych program I got into (e.g. 2 years vs. 5, less costly, more flexibility in terms of future opportunities, etc.). But after some major lulling on the matter, I realized that clinical psych was the better option for me.
That must have been a difficult decision for you. Was this for the one or two year?
2 year.

Congratulations!! Clinical psych is unbelievably competitive to get into. Typically 250 people compete for as little as 5 spots. You will have many great career opportunities with that degree and get solid training in both counselling and research. Sounds like you made a great choice.

It definitely was hard. And I don't mind. My goal had always been to go into clinical psych, and after applying last year and not getting in, I was accepted to an American school this year. I also applied to some other programs, including social work. For many reasons, social work at U of T had some major advantages compared to the clinical psych program I got into (e.g. 2 years vs. 5, less costly, more flexibility in terms of future opportunities, etc.). But after some major lulling on the matter, I realized that clinical psych was the better option for me. 2 year.

Hey everyone!

This is my first post in this group. I've been following along for months now. At times it helped, and at times it stressed me out if I'm being honest haha. Anyways, I am also on the wait-list for UofT. I am wondering if anyone has heard anything as of late? I saw there was a few previous posts late May of people getting moved off the wait-list (congrats to you!). Also, does anyone know how you are informed if you're accepted from the wait-list? Everytime my phone rings with a new number I nearly stop breathing!

Welcome and congrats for getting waitlisted! I haven't heard (or read about) anyone recently coming off of the waitlist. Did you check the results page?  As far as I know, U of T calls waitlisted students prior to mailing out an acceptance package. I don't know if this helps at all but I have received a couple of calls from U of T and each time the name was displayed on my phone. As well, they are really good about leaving messages.

Hey everyone!

This is my first post in this group. I've been following along for months now. At times it helped, and at times it stressed me out if I'm being honest haha. Anyways, I am also on the wait-list for UofT. I am wondering if anyone has heard anything as of late? I saw there was a few previous posts late May of people getting moved off the wait-list (congrats to you!). Also, does anyone know how you are informed if you're accepted from the wait-list? Everytime my phone rings with a new number I nearly stop breathing!

Windsor's waiting list is moving as I was just emailed an acceptance! Woohoo! So excited to be accepted but I will be going with Laurier :) Goodluck to everyone!!

Congrats!! and thanks for the update.

What's the protocol on asking for waitlist updates? Should I ask again and have my hopes shattered or stay in my semi-hopeful state? Haha. I am overthinking this. I just got no info other than admissions telling me I had a really good chance which was 2wks ago and now I am really beginning to panic. Geez.

Peetabread,

Since you asked 2 weeks ago, I would personally wait another 2 weeks before asking again. Once a month seems reasonable to show that you are still interested, without coming across as being impatient or redundant. Perhaps you could call in mid-July and, if needed, in mid to late August. It's up to you. As long as it doesn't get to the point that the secretary knows what you are calling about as soon as she hears your name. That would be a sign that someone is calling too much. :)

Edited by jenste

Peetabread,

Since you asked 2 weeks ago, I would personally wait another 2 weeks before asking again. Once a month seems reasonable to show that you are still interested, without coming across as being impatient or redundant. Perhaps you could call in mid-July and, if needed, in mid to late August. It's up to you. As long as it doesn't get to the point that the secretary knows what you are calling about as soon as she hears your name. That would be a sign that someone is calling too much. :)

Literally as I wrote this I got admitted off the waitlist!! So relieved!! Thanks for the support!! Now, on to applying for loans and moving across the country in August!!

Congratulations Peetabread!!!!  Oh and Jenste, that was great advice :)

Literally as I wrote this I got admitted off the waitlist!! So relieved!! Thanks for the support!! Now, on to applying for loans and moving across the country in August!!

That's wonderful news! Perhaps you'll be back on here in a few years when applying for an MSW. Enjoy the program. :)

Edited by jenste

Congratulations!!!!!!

Hey all,

For those of you still waiting on Windsor like me I spoke to the dept. just now. So what she told me seemed to slightly contradict what I was told before but here it goes:

she said about 6-7 spots left. about 40 are still on the waiting list. and it could take until *hopefully* the end of the month (which she said was normal for them, however a month ago I was told end of June, first week of July). Regardless, there's still hope for us yet.

Edited by hails11

They jsent out a few more acceptances at the end of June so once those people reply, more spots should be available.  I just back my cancellation so one spot will be open probably next week for someone else :) Goodluck everyone!!

Hey all,

For those of you still waiting on Windsor like me I spoke to the dept. just now. So what she told me seemed to slightly contradict what I was told before but here it goes:

she said about 6-7 spots left. about 40 are still on the waiting list. and it could take until *hopefully* the end of the month (which she said was normal for them, however a month ago I was told end of June, first week of July). Regardless, there's still hope for us yet.