Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

I am also still waitlisted at Windsor. I am wondering how many people they put on the waitlist... do you think that they actually sent out "rejections" to anyone, or do you think that they only have sent out acceptances, and everyone else is on the "wait list" by default? 

I am just starting to wonder about that now because I don't think I've heard of anyone getting rejected yet, only acceptances.

They said that they sent out 90 rejections to the lowest ranked applicants at the time they sent out the first round of acceptances. They have filled 15/30 spots thus far. They had about 200 applicants to begin with. So by that math there are 95 that are either on the wait list or have to yet to respond to their acceptance offer. Rejections won't be sent out again until all the spots are filled. They said this could take until the end of the month or even until the beginning of July. Sigh

How did you find out they filled 15/30 spots? - Did you talk to someone at the school? My status hasn't changed on my Uwindsor account. I'm still on the wait-list at U of T as well...wishing this process wasn't so stressful and drawn out

They said that they sent out 90 rejections to the lowest ranked applicants at the time they sent out the first round of acceptances. They have filled 15/30 spots thus far. They had about 200 applicants to begin with. So by that math there are 95 that are either on the wait list or have to yet to respond to their acceptance offer. Rejections won't be sent out again until all the spots are filled. They said this could take until the end of the month or even until the beginning of July. Sigh

:( I'm right there with you. At least you have two schools though - double the chances!

Yes, I spoke to social work admissions at Windsor this morning.

Anyone else questioning their decision or finding it challenging to leave their paid job? I have recently been offered a promotion which offers huge connections in the field as well as great experience and I've turned it down in order to pursue an MSW. I'm concerned that it might be awhile before I get a similar opportunity and that the time I take to complete my education might actually in some ways put me behind in my career advancement, even though in the long term it will help. I dunno, food for thought.

My situation is actually the near opposite. I want to go back to school so that I can get a job that's more challenging, more interesting and in higher demand than what I'm currently doing. I still have the same job since my undergrad days and I don't feel like my BA has helped me to advance professionally, until I was accepted into an MSW program. Now I see my current job and my BA as stepping stones to a better career path.

I am a bit concerned about leaving my job mainly because of the costs associated with attending school fulltime. I am anticipating the upcoming two years will cost around $45,000 and that's a bit scary. It would be easier if MSW programs gave funding to grad students, like most researched based degrees do. But if that were the case, they would probably admit far less students into their programs and have very low acceptance rates, somewhere along the lines of admiting 4-5% of applicants.   

If you have a BSW or perhaps a degree in psychology it might not be so difficult to find social work related employment. But for people coming in with other degrees, I think it's extremely difficult to find employment in the area and a degree is the best way to go.   

Anyone else questioning their decision or finding it challenging to leave their paid job? I have recently been offered a promotion which offers huge connections in the field as well as great experience and I've turned it down in order to pursue an MSW. I'm concerned that it might be awhile before I get a similar opportunity and that the time I take to complete my education might actually in some ways put me behind in my career advancement, even though in the long term it will help. I dunno, food for thought.

Perhaps in your situation, part time or online studies would fit your needs better. Just a thought.

That's really helpful to know-- thanks! I had no idea they already sent out that many rejections. Well, hopefully they send out the next round of admissions soon! I'm finding it very tough to not know what's going to happen in September for me in terms of where I'll be moving, depending on if I get accepted into an msw program or not.

How did you find out they filled 15/30 spots? - Did you talk to someone at the school? My status hasn't changed on my Uwindsor account. I'm still on the wait-list at U of T as well...wishing this process wasn't so stressful and drawn out

I'm in the exact same position as you-- on the waitlist for both Windsor and U of T. I can definitely relate to the stress of being in this position. At least we should know by the end of June whether or not we'll be accepted to Windsor (which is better than U of T's waitlist, which goes till September!!). Let's hope that things work out for the best for all of us on the waitlist. 

Looking ahead to options for next year - does anyone know the average number of applicants and the number accepted to Lakehead's 1 year BSW program?

This year they received a large number of applicants and there were between 450-500 for 85 spots. There are a lot more spots at the Orillia campus compared to Thunder Bay (don't remember the exact numbers though).

Looking ahead to options for next year - does anyone know the average number of applicants and the number accepted to Lakehead's 1 year BSW program?

Oh speaking of BSW - Does anyone know of any universities that are still accepting applicants? The few I've looked at closed already - anyone know of any I may have overlooked?

My situation is actually the near opposite. I want to go back to school so that I can get a job that's more challenging, more interesting and in higher demand than what I'm currently doing. I still have the same job since my undergrad days and I don't feel like my BA has helped me to advance professionally, until I was accepted into an MSW program. Now I see my current job and my BA as stepping stones to a better career path.

I am a bit concerned about leaving my job mainly because of the costs associated with attending school fulltime. I am anticipating the upcoming two years will cost around $45,000 and that's a bit scary. It would be easier if MSW programs gave funding to grad students, like most researched based degrees do. But if that were the case, they would probably admit far less students into their programs and have very low acceptance rates, somewhere along the lines of admiting 4-5% of applicants.   

If you have a BSW or perhaps a degree in psychology it might not be so difficult to find social work related employment. But for people coming in with other degrees, I think it's extremely difficult to find employment in the area and a degree is the best way to go.   

York provides funding for all admitted MSW students.

You're right. It's one of the only ones that does as far as I know. But it's also the only MSW program that I have no interest in because they don't have a clinical option, unfortunately.

From what I've heard, it's very hard to get into funded programs. (Only 20 spots for York I believe and they get hundreds of applicants). I'd probably need straight A's to have a shot at a fully funded program, an A- wouldn't cut it. My GPA is enough to get in somewhere but not enough to stand out for a scholarship.

I guess I've been hanging out too much with grad students in other fields who get more than $20,000/yr to go to school, nice lab space and their own office, free trips to conferences in other countries, etc. But they're students of a different calibre (many of these programs only take about 5 out of 250 applicants) and social work departments just don't have that kind of funding. Even if they did, I don't have a near perfect GPA so I wouldn't be considered for these kinds of opportunities. 

I will just have to pay as much as I can and take out a loan for the rest. It's a scary thought, but there's no other way around it. 

York provides funding for all admitted MSW students.

Edited by jenste

Check it out. All the schools are here:

http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/study-programs/

Oh speaking of BSW - Does anyone know of any universities that are still accepting applicants? The few I've looked at closed already - anyone know of any I may have overlooked?

Edited by jenste

They were doing that at first with the first two rounds of offers. But then someone here received an offer less than 1 week after the 2nd round of offers was made. Perhaps, as the number of remaining spots has decreased, they aren't doing them in batches anymore.

Given that's it's already June, if you want to attend this school you might want to check your myuwindsor account every couple of days or so (rather than every 2 weeks) so that you'll have more time to prepare for your return to school.

I know I'm not attending the program even if I get an offer, yet I still check my account to see if I was admitted. How silly is that?!  :P

Does anyone know when Windsor will send out the next round of offers? I think someone previously posted that they send out offers of admission every 2 weeks! I keep checking my UWindsor, but my status hasn't changed-- still says "Referred to department." 

They were doing that at first with the first two rounds of offers. But then someone here received an offer less than 1 week after the 2nd round of offers was made. Perhaps, as the number of remaining spots has decreased, they aren't doing them in batches anymore.

Given that's it's already June, if you want to attend this school you might want to check your myuwindsor account every couple of days or so (rather than every 2 weeks) so that you'll have more time to prepare for your return to school.

I know I'm not attending the program even if I get an offer, yet I still check my account to see if I was admitted. How silly is that?!  :P

I have been checking my UWindsor account every day, hoping that my status would change! lol, and I guess I was just wondering if it was useless to keep doing that-- but it is good to know that they're sending out acceptances more often now! 

& it's totally understandable that you'd still check your UWindsor account even if you don't plan on going there! lol I know I would do the same thing in your shoes! 

Has anyone heard of any movement with the Laurier or UofT waitlist?

Nope.

I have a feeling some people got into more than one program or into more than one school and are waiting to make a decision. Or waiting for other programs and holding onto social work for now. I think there will be more spots opening up towards the end if summer/early September. But that's speculation.

Edited by DreamingMSW

Hey everyone

Sorry if this is the wrong place but I am kind of going crazy. Does anyone know anything about the Uvic BSW waitlist?! I was told about a month ago I was on it, and I am in the top 5. But I haven't heard anything yet about it moving. I got accepted to a Social Work Diploma in Alberta but I would rather the BSW and Victoria but I need to apply for funding soon and I am losing hope.

Does anyone know if the BSW Uvic waitlist is moving? Or better, someone who rejected their offer?!

Has anyone waitlisted for U of T's 2-year MSW porgram been accepted? Seems as though there's movement on the advanced standing wait list, but unsure about the 2-year ...