Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Had an acceptance from my favorite program on Monday and now I'm questioning it. In the US, the ALA accredits all MLS/MLIS degrees. My fav program is in the UK and accredited by CLIP. I thought that wouldn't be a problem for jobs but... the LinkedIn Society of American Archivists' page said it is next to impossible to get a job in the US without a degree from an ALA school.

Which leaves me a few choices- ask more people whom I actually *know* in the field if UK Archives degree will hold up in the US 2) Scratch (sadly) the program off my list 3) Realize I might have to live in the UK to get a job or 4) Say to hell with it and know my CV will help since I've interned at probably the world's most prestigious museum institute.

Any suggestions?

I'm actually in the opposite boat. I'd read that not having an actual ALA-accredited degree made it difficult to get a job in the U.S. (even if you had a UK equivalent). I have since read, though, that it really depends on the employer. From what I remember reading, there are some places that choose not to look at degrees that aren't technically ALA-accredited... but that there are also a lot of places willing to accept a CLIP-accredited degree, and that it can also make your application stand out; so now I'm kind of wishing I'd applied to some schools in the UK. That said, I was mainly researching in regards to public librarianship rather than archives, so I don't know in that regard.

Also, I need to stop researching craigslist apartment listings in my prospective cities. It is literally the most pointless endeavor. It either makes me doubtful about my ability to afford/find a decent apartment/roommate; or I find the perfect listing, and then get disappointed because it's at least four or five months before I can actually start lining up an apartment.

Also, I need to stop researching craigslist apartment listings in my prospective cities.

i'm both very happy and very sad that i'm not the only person who does this, hah!

i'm a worrywart by nature, so i try to keep myself in check, but ma dukes (who's pretty much queen worrywart) has been heckling me about looking up housing info since square one! everything from neighborhood safety to prices. woof. it's a little bit intimidating that it's becoming more reasonable to think about, though..

Also, I need to stop researching craigslist apartment listings in my prospective cities. It is literally the most pointless endeavor. It either makes me doubtful about my ability to afford/find a decent apartment/roommate; or I find the perfect listing, and then get disappointed because it's at least four or five months before I can actually start lining up an apartment.

Man, true dat!  It's taking up a lot of my time...and, like you said, none of the places are advertising for July/August move-ins yet.  Bleh!

I'm so stressed. Just cracked open a bottle of Pink Moscato. I'm pouring you and myself a glass right now.

I'll probably need two, friend. Thanks very much though ;)

Haha, just imagine what a gradcafe waiting-for-an-acceptance letter party would be like ... nerves, an open bar, manic rants and raves and who knows what else.

Got my first rejection.  It burns and stings -- but I'm 1-1 so far, and it's on programs 1&2. I'm not devastated, but I do have a sad. 

Sorry to hear this :( it's never pleasant. Don't give up hope though, you still have many more to hear back from.

I now hate weekends. They're the WORST because apparently school admissions committees take unnecessary two-day vacations. FML.

Hahahahaha! You mean to tell me that members of admissions committees have lives while we are sitting here hitting refresh all the live long day? So unfair. ;)

Oh, all right: they deserve weekends, too. It's not their fault we are obsessing instead of enjoying our Sunday!

I have an interesting dilemma that is now making me go a little nuts. I got accepted into my favorite program, and classes start the first week of August. However, they require my completed transcript that shows my degree was conferred before that date. Even though I'm defending my masters thesis in June, my degree won't be conferred until mid-August. There is a chance I can graduate in May, but it is slim. Here is to hoping I can get a waiver from my new school!

I totally caught myself doing this the other day when I had plenty of real work to get done.

Now that I have 1 acceptance I can relax a bit more and just enjoy the rest of the semester. I'm still waiting on all of my other apps, but it's nice to know that I do have a place to study next year and I won't have to scramble.

I definitely agree that the GradCafe results page just makes me all the more antsy. Especially when I see feedback from humanities departments already :wacko:

I totally caught myself doing this the other day when I had plenty of real work to get done.

Yep. Especially since I'm moving with a large breed dog, which complicates the renting situation significantly. Which is silly. Many breeds of large dogs are often much better apartment dogs, they're quieter, calmer, have larger bladders and far less likely to destroy anything than tiny yappers, but so many places have 30 lb limits. Frustrating.

Yep. Especially since I'm moving with a large breed dog, which complicates the renting situation significantly. Which is silly. Many breeds of large dogs are often much better apartment dogs, they're quieter, calmer, have larger bladders and far less likely to destroy anything than tiny yappers, but so many places have 30 lb limits. Frustrating.

Sorry to take things off track, but I'm really keen on distracting myself right now...

OhMySocks, what kind of dog do you have? I have a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog so I can sympathize. :) Not that I've dared to look up apartments yet, right about now I'm not sure if I'll get in anywhere!

Sorry to take things off track, but I'm really keen on distracting myself right now...

OhMySocks, what kind of dog do you have? I have a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog so I can sympathize. :) Not that I've dared to look up apartments yet, right about now I'm not sure if I'll get in anywhere!

I have a greyhound, which is basically the definition of an apartment dog. Quiet and beyond lazy. I live in a 300 sq. ft. studio right now, and I could probably fit another 2 greys in here and nobody would even notice until I take them outside. 

I have a greyhound, which is basically the definition of an apartment dog. Quiet and beyond lazy. I live in a 300 sq. ft. studio right now, and I could probably fit another 2 greys in here and nobody would even notice until I take them outside. 

Ah, love it! I'm hoping to be able to afford a dog within the next few years. Swissies and greyhounds are awesome dogs. I'm partial to the large breeds.

so many places have 30 lb limits.

if it's an option, have you looked into any apartments in co-ops that allow pets? my mom is on the board for her co-op in nyc, and although there's a "30 lb. limit," larger dogs (up to 50 lb. or so) are often allowed if they're well behaved. many of her neighbors have larger dogs that are a lot more well behaved than the little yappy things, so nobody minds at all. depending on the reviewing committee and how long you'd be staying in an apartment, it might be worth getting in touch with people and asking anyway!

I'll probably need two, friend. Thanks very much though ;)

Haha, just imagine what a gradcafe waiting-for-an-acceptance letter party would be like ... nerves, an open bar, manic rants and raves and who knows what else.

Let's just share the bottle and call it even lol :)

You're right, that would be one hell of a party. If I'm drinking now, I'll really have to drink after my interview. I have a feeling that the wait after that will be worse than the wait now.

Must. Go. Buy. More. Liquor.

Yeah, you're dead on about large breeds being apartment dogs. My Swissy is go go go for 15 minutes then passes out for four hours. My boyfriend and I ended up just buying a place because it was impossible to find anyone who would rent to a large dog, even though he is a champion show dog! Meanwhile, my friends with loud, destructive chihuahuas can find a place anywhere! Ruby, dogs are wonderful in grad school. Such a help during those long nights of reading! I'm always thrilled when someon is familiar with Swissies, if you're ever looking for a breeder let me know! ;)

Yeah, you're dead on about large breeds being apartment dogs. My Swissy is go go go for 15 minutes then passes out for four hours. My boyfriend and I ended up just buying a place because it was impossible to find anyone who would rent to a large dog, even though he is a champion show dog! Meanwhile, my friends with loud, destructive chihuahuas can find a place anywhere! Ruby, dogs are wonderful in grad school. Such a help during those long nights of reading! I'm always thrilled when someon is familiar with Swissies, if you're ever looking for a breeder let me know! ;)

An old doctor of mine had a Bernese that he brought to the office with him every day! That was how I became acquainted with them and their shorter-haired cousins. My family has had a 100-pound German shepherd for about ten years now, and she's the best. It's hard to imagine why anyone would prefer having an ankle-biter.  :D

I was losing my mind for the whole month of January and on February 1st...my first acceptance email out of thin air!! So so happy!!

Woo! Congratulations, eaboo!

Lucky! Those are so adorable.
Those are adorable!
An old doctor of mine had a Bernese that he brought to the office with him every day! That was how I became acquainted with them and their shorter-haired cousins. My family has had a 100-pound German shepherd for about ten years now, and she's the best. It's hard to imagine why anyone would prefer having an ankle-biter.  :D Woo! Congratulations, eaboo!
Yay Berners and German shepards! I'm such a sucker for pups. I love Berners, but I gotta say the lack of grooming on a Swissy is pretty great. Yes, congrats eaboo!!!! That's amazing!