Fall 2014 applicants??

I saw that you have offers from 2 others schools. So the question, you'll have to ask youself is, how much would you wanna go to this particular school if it were funded? I'm assuming they give everyone the same amount and then it's up to you how to get there, so people who live close by are probably at an advantage.

If you want to take that risk you might write back to tell them, that you can't afford the visit although you want to come, but that you'd have to decline if they can't fund you---but in a nicer way. If you play your cards right, they might be able to fund more of your travels. I still find it weird to offer funding based on that...

I think you're absolutely right. Honestly, the other two programs are more compelling to me--it's really more a matter of funding. I guess I'm trying to keep my options open until a clearer picture of funding comes through. But yeah, it does seem a bit weird.

Feeling puzzled about Minnesota. Lots of acceptances, lots of waitlists, lots of rejections, including one via a random website check tonight, but my application still just says "awaiting program decision." What the heck is that about? I'm assuming a rejection at this point, but I have to wonder what the hold up is.... I seem to have ended up in limbo somehow.

Anyone else still in limbo? Not particularly anxious or concerned about it, but it'd be nice to officially cross another school off the list. Perhaps they're still updating the website with all of the rejections. 

It's still so early in the process, and yet my impatience stubbornly remains untempered by that knowledge. Cannot wait to regain my sanity when this whole mess is over! 

Time to ban myself from gradcafe for the evening... 

The UMass acceptance is freaking me out :o I logged into my spire account and didn't see anything different, but maybe it's because this person was American Studies...

Not sure if this will help with your anxiety, but I did the same and mine had been updated. The application status still says "applied," but the front page of spire had tons of new areas to look at and also a link to the official letter from the graduate school.

Not sure if this will help with your anxiety, but I did the same and mine had been updated. The application status still says "applied," but the front page of spire had tons of new areas to look at and also a link to the official letter from the graduate school.

Mine hasn't updated, but I'm also just English lit. I hope this isn't bad news for me. Last year they contacted people about interviews first.

Really would like to get in here. Crossing my fingers...! Congrats to you and the other acceptance!

Feeling puzzled about Minnesota. Lots of acceptances, lots of waitlists, lots of rejections, including one via a random website check tonight, but my application still just says "awaiting program decision." What the heck is that about? I'm assuming a rejection at this point, but I have to wonder what the hold up is.... I seem to have ended up in limbo somehow.

Anyone else still in limbo? Not particularly anxious or concerned about it, but it'd be nice to officially cross another school off the list. Perhaps they're still updating the website with all of the rejections. 

It's still so early in the process, and yet my impatience stubbornly remains untempered by that knowledge. Cannot wait to regain my sanity when this whole mess is over! 

I'm not sure what you're seeing that I'm not seeing, but on the results board I only see a bunch of wait listers (including myself), one rejection, and no acceptances. Am I missing something? My guess is that you could be in any of the three categories since today is the first day they've sent out anything (from what I can tell)...

Mine hasn't updated, but I'm also just English lit. I hope this isn't bad news for me. Last year they contacted people about interviews first.

Really would like to get in here. Crossing my fingers...! Congrats to you and the other acceptance!

I have my fingers crossed for you, too!! Sending good thoughts your way.

I'm in UC-Davis limbo. There have been acceptances, rejections, and waitlists but I'm just over here, you know, waiting. It's fun.  :mellow:

I'm in UC-Davis limbo. There have been acceptances, rejections, and waitlists but I'm just over here, you know, waiting. It's fun.  :mellow:

I only get my rejection from Davis because I emailed them. They are really great; if you ask for feedback on your application so that you can be more competitive in the future, the DGS will write you a really personal email with advice. 

That being said, I really hope you are accepted! :)

I only get my rejection from Davis because I emailed them. They are really great; if you ask for feedback on your application so that you can be more competitive in the future, the DGS will write you a really personal email with advice. 

That being said, I really hope you are accepted! :)

Thank you! It's extremely unlikely for me to be accepted at this point, but I'm a wuss and won't email the DGS and ask. As of right now I prefer delayed heartbreak, but that might change in the near future  :P

Haha someone down voted my post?? How evil! It was just a question. Sheesh! Thanks for having my back. :)

They probably down voted it because there's a big rivalry between MSU and U of M, so it's important to know the difference...especially if you applied to one of them.   ;)

I'm not sure what you're seeing that I'm not seeing, but on the results board I only see a bunch of wait listers (including myself), one rejection, and no acceptances. Am I missing something? My guess is that you could be in any of the three categories since today is the first day they've sent out anything (from what I can tell)...

Hmmm... If I type in "English Minnesota," there are a bunch of recent waitlists, but then back around January 31st- February 8th there are 5 acceptances. And I see 3 rejections scattered throughout. (Looks like I did overstate the number of rejections by accident, sorry about that!) But yeah, I'm seeing all three types of results scattered over nearly 2 weeks now. 

I, personally, believe the rivalry is a little overrated and over emphasized.

They probably down voted it because there's a big rivalry between MSU and U of M, so it's important to know the difference...especially if you applied to one of them.   ;)

If anyone else applied to Tufts you may not get an email. I just checked my status on the website and it had changed but there was no notification. Now I'm going to try to go work out the rejection angst at the gym instead of eating my feelings. Sigh...

Kinda wish I'd not applied to BU also. I have an MA and applied knowing they don't take many with MAs. I only applied because I heard they were very strong in my area of interest. Plus, I love Boston. But technically, I've heard some negative things about BU, not in terms of academic quality but in terms of faculty-student and student-student relations/dynamics.