What were you doing when you got accepted?

Orims

I had just finished a meeting and checked my phone, I literally said, almost dejectedly even, "shit, I got another acceptance." I don't know why I wasn't super excited, but I think I felt bad because a few of my friends didn't get funding and/or offers, so I didn't want to make a big deal about it.

I should probably add, I screamed like Oprah gave me a car when I got my first acceptance. I was VERY excited. I couldn't even form words.

Edited by DTY

Both times I received acceptances, I was sitting at my desk at work. I just kind of calmly sat there for a minute then I would whisper to my coworkers, "I got in at [whatever school]" and then they would get super excited.

For my first acceptance, I called everyone that knew how stressed out I was over applications, and my coworkers basically threw a party because they both have ties to the institution. To be honest it was all very low-key.

Typically check my emails roughly 50 times a day. That started to wind down about the last two weeks since I had convinced myself to start prepping for plan B and plan B which was finding fulltime employment was surprisingly going well. So well that at for the last few days before I got accepted I never checked anywhere. Then in the off chance I decide to check one schools portal system...an acceptance letter was sitting in the folder and it had been their a few days and only had another week to respond.  Almost screwed that up.

Just woke up from a light nap. Decided to refresh my email.... And then boom!! There it was. Full tuition waiver plus sizeable stipend.

Electric!!!!

I was at work when I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. As I was in lab I couldn't really answer but when I checked my voicemail, I did one of those really excited *silent* screams (because ya know, i'm at work  <_< ). Very excited feeling!

• 5 weeks later...

I am a software developer at the university that I applied to (why not - free tuition)

I found out before actually getting any official notice. One day, I got a call from a co-worker, about an unusual amount of data in one of the feeds that I am responsible for

co-worker: we got an unusual amount of data in the feed this morning, did something happen last night?

me: we did cancellations for non-payment last night, that is probably the reason, let me check. log onto system & check data file. yep, that is the reason. oh it looks like we are starting to see grad admits also. woo-hoo! one of the grad admits is me!

wait...wait... - 3 more days before I got the official notice via email.

I just left class and was walking back to my apartment. I decided to check my emails on my phone as I usually do and that's when I saw an email from my top choice telling me to go check my application status but at that moment my phone died!! I calmed myself while walking back and prepared for the rejection, then I saw my friend on the way home and he decided to stop to talk to me. THE SUSPENSE!! I finally got home 15 mins later and opened the decision letter to see my acceptance. I jumped so high that I almost hit my head on the ceiling!

Woke up from a nap and the first thing I did was check the mail (it was a routine back then :D). So, this email with the admission decision popped up--top unread email. My heart raced as I clicked it. "Congratulations!" I...honestly didn't know what to feel. Completely unexpected. The two rejects I had before UMich's acceptance (one of them being my top choice, Purdue University) left me emotionally downtrodden. I breathed a sigh of relief, got up, and then informed my dad of the good news. All praise and thanks belong to God. Couldn't stop trembling for quite a while afterwards.

• 2 months later...

I got home from my (night shift) job and was skyping the bf about all the fun stuff we were gonna do when he came to visit the next day. He fell asleep on me, so I checked my app status just 'cause and there it was!!! Best way to start our weekend together and celebrate Americaaaaa!!

• 3 weeks later...

My mom was going on and on telling me how I needed to clean my room and it was my turn to do the dishes and I just happened to be checking my email on my phone and I interrupted her with "Mom...MOM. STOP TALKING" And of course she's like "What?" And I'm trying to reread the email to make sure that what I'm reading is real and I show it to her to read and she starts hopping up and down and she starts shaking me saying "Do the dishes later!!! You got into grad school!"

I think she was even more excited than I was. She was moonwalking in the grocery store later that day because she was on this all time high. It made the acceptance even better.

• 2 weeks later...

Was patrolling the halls of the psych department, when I got the email. I immediately ran to the first office door that was open to share the news. They were very excited, and brought me to share the news with the rest of my department. My undergrad advisors were very happy for me. I was also so ecstatic, as was everyone else. 

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up in the morning and had an email notification on my Blackberry. I'd had a migraine the night before and felt like crap, but I jumped out of bed, ran to my computer, and opened the email which had a link in it. I was in a half-sleep post-migraine daze and couldn't believe it when it said I'd been accepted. I chugged water and some aspirin, went and got a cup of coffee, and enjoyed the day after that.

• 7 months later...

I had been refreshing my email and checking my phone every 5 minutes that day because I knew that the committee was supposed to meet that morning. After being waitlisted at 4 other schools, I figured I should get out of the house, so I went to the store. After just arriving at the store, I noticed that I missed a phone call from someone in the area code of the school. I thought about leaving my grocery cart and running out to my car to return the phone call, but I tried to keep some control. I tried to return the call when I got home, but no answer. My POI didn't end up calling me back until the next day. This time, I had been waiting around all day, glued to my phone, but I had to take a shower. Of course, that is when I get a phone call. Luckily, I jumped out of the shower on time to hear the good news!

• 1 year later...

Can we start this up again?!

I just got my first interview (not acceptance, but still all sweaty and shaking and excited)!!! I have been checking that schools email every day for weeks, about 10 times a day to be exact. YESTERDAY, I made myself a promise to stop obsessing over it as it was seriously taking over my life (ironic timing huh???). I was just procrastinating at my job looking up grad school stuff on this forum, as usual, when I thought I would reward myself for not checking my email yet. I get on the email, but I'm so used to seeing "no new mail" that my hand just automatically exited out. But as soon as I did, I realized there was something there. I started shaking and hurry and scrambled to type in the site again and see a message stating "important information for application". I click on it and try to skim for key words and see no "good news" or "congratulations". I then read "we had a stronger application pool than normal this round" and my heart sunk...

WORST INTERVIEW EMAIL EVER. It took me a solid 5 minutes to realize that I had an interview. YIPPEEEEEE!!! I'm now trying to call my boyfriend and everyone in my family, but no one will answer. So... here I am posting on gradcafe...