What were you doing when you got accepted?

Orims

My third acceptance came in today, when I was getting ready for my wisdom teeth surgery... I'm in the dentist's office right now and am freaking out

*Dentist walks into the room, EngineerGrad sits in the dentist chair that is facing away from the doorway*

Dentist: Ok, EngineerGrad, how are you feeling now?  

EngineerGrad: *turns around in the chair, smiling from ear-to-ear* I've never been better!! Bring it on!!

Or at least that's how I imagined you, pre-wisdom teeth removal.  

Seriously, that's the best time to receive the news!! That kind of happiness can easily overcome pre-surgery nerves!!

The first 2, I was standing in front of my mailbox. After having not checked my mailbox in approximately 3 weeks. Didn't ever think schools would send SNAIL MAIL acceptances in 2014!

The third came in the form of a phone call while I was asleep. I didn't recognize the number and ignored the call. She left a message, which I ignored til the next day. Or was it later that day? I don't remember. Either way, I listened to the voicemail while I was in drive-through line at Bojangles waiting for my bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit. I called her back after I'd gotten said biscuit. So, I was driving down the road when I found out I was admitted to Penn, lol.

The fourth, same way as numbers 1 and 2. In front of the mailbox, checking the mail.

My fifth, my first and only rejection thus far, I was sitting on my couch, angry that I hadn't heard back sooner. But screw them, I didn't want to go there anyway. Muhahaha.

I just got my acceptance packet from UofT today and it came in a big brown envelope.  I was very excited because I knew what that meant!

Funny how grad school acceptances that come via snail mail don't come in big envelopes like they did in undergrad.

Twice, I received acceptances in regular sized envelopes that I was afraid to open because I thought they were rejections!  :lol:

I was archiving some files on my computer.  Checked my email, and the offer was there.  Wasn't expecting it, as it arrived the day before they had said offers were going out.  I was quite happy that they made decisions a day early, however!

I GOT INTO USC OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! I was crying of pain because of my wisdom teeth surgery :-(((((((((((((((((( and then BOOM AN EMAIL

Wait, one acceptance BEFORE surgery and one acceptance AFTER surgery??

That is an acceptance sandwich I would have loved to have!!   That is living the DREAM!!!! You are a legend!!!!

Wait, one acceptance BEFORE surgery and one acceptance AFTER surgery??

That is an acceptance sandwich I would have loved to have!! That is living the DREAM!!!! You are a legend!!!!

I know, right??? I haven't heard anything from my top choices until yesterday. Then got two acceptances at once! Feels really good!

Good luck on yours!!

I know, right??? I haven't heard anything from my top choices until yesterday. Then got two acceptances at once! Feels really good!

Good luck on yours!!

That's so amazing!!  I'm so happy for you!!

Thank you so much! I've heard from all of my schools (yay!), so the wait is over for me! :D

I've heard from all of my schools (yay!), so the wait is over for me! :D

So jealous that you're done.  

I don't even care about the likely rejections I'll be receiving from my last two schools...I just want to hurry up and get the rejections so I can close the door on all this application madness and get on with my life.  

HOLY FUCK I GOT ACCEPTED TO MY TOP CHOICE OMFGGGGGGGFGFF AHGEUQOAOXYYR4161

Tip: TAKE YOUR WISDOM TEETH OUT! I RECEIVED THREE ACCEPTANCES IN THE SPAN OF A DAY LOL

Well, sure. I mean, you just had all of your wisdom taken out! They figure that you really need that PhD to get that wisdom back into your head somehow!! ;)

Congratulations on all the acceptances!

Well, sure. I mean, you just had all of your wisdom taken out! They figure that you really need that PhD to get that wisdom back into your head somehow!! ;)

Congratulations on all the acceptances!

Haha that's true! I'll have to fight to get my wisdom back!

When I got my very nice, personalized acceptance from the UK (Kentucky), I REALLY needed it. I was coordinating the the arrival/funding/event planning of a visiting professor (and personal idol) and the student government had rejected the funding THE DAY BEFORE THE LECTURE. As you can imagine, I was sweating, freaking out, and stressing out my whole cohort that shares a tiny office when I heard the gmail alert. I said something to the effect of, "Great. Now I get to read my third rejection in a row,"... and I ate those words so hard. It was the nicest letter I'd ever had written to me by a stranger and they had also submitted me for like three other scholarships. I gave no... fracks... for the rest of the day. (The funding for the professor got worked out, btw!)

got my second acceptance (and i was waiting for it soo long) while doing a robot in lab, which can sexually harrass the opponent robot.

yes the robot gets behind the opponent other robot and touches it.

well my department says they wrestle... but ummm.. idk maybe i am the only one thinks like that. maybe i have a dirty mind. but it did not keep me asking to professor: "could we trap the opponent on the corner of the playground and keep pushing it from behind periodically to get tons of points?" i was so naive to ask such a question..they all laughed, including the professor. i guess you all have dirty minds.

btw i only said "heh i am admitted...cool!" maybe i used all my credit for first acceptance by going crazy.

i am gonna write a book called "robots can make love"

Sitting here, sipping coffee  (2nd cup of the day).

Phone rings, "Newark, DE" shows up on caller ID.

Holy crap.

I get accepted, DGS tells me again how my application is so strong and that they'd love to have me.

I don't end up crying on the phone this time (they called me before to have me for a recruitment visit, and I cried tears of happiness).

I just keep sputtering "Thank You" like a bumbling idiot.  This is me "keeping it cool."

Tell him I'll call him in a couple days with my decision (only have one other school to choose from).

A great Monday indeed.

It had been a while since I last heard from one of my schools so I emailed them and asked if they had a general timeline for when admission decisions would be made and I got an email back saying they weren't sure. Literally ten minutes later when I was eating lunch with my friends I got another email letting me know I had been accepted into the program!

I was delivering the mail at work and came back to an email with the subject line stating "Graduate program acceptance." I promptly started screaming/crying.

I knew I was supposed to hear back this week but I was trying not to be obsessive about checking emails. I checked one time before leaving work and didn't see anything. When I got home, I talked to my grandma about how long it would take and as I was in the middle of saying "well, if I don't hear by Friday I'll give them a call" my email loaded and THERE IT WAS!!!

I was sleeping! I woke up, sleepily checked my phone, saw the email, had a squee (got up to post about it on social media, of course), and had intended on going back to sleep, but got up and started my day instead, lol.

I honestly can't even remember. All I recall is running around my room looking for my laptop because I first saw the e-mail on my phone and wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.

Then started crying and woke my roommate up and called my mom (who of course said, "I knew you would get in!") and then texted my boyfriend and then sat on the floor so I could breathe a bit.

[Mind you this was my FAR OUT OF REACH school that I never expected to be able to get into. Ever.]