What were you doing when you got accepted?

Orims

It was after business hours on a Friday. I'd just had a stupid argument with the SO and came to refresh the Gradcafe and my inbox and there it was. The subject line was perfunctory but attached was the best news possible...took me hours to tell the girlfriend, we were still not speaking...

I live in Europe, so morning/midday US emails reach me at night. I was sitting at my computer watching TV and had just finished dinner when I heard my inbox ping. I saw that it was my first grad school notification link and immediately clicked on it as I was expecting a rejection for sure (my first choice and first-ranked school). The link led me through to the website and at the top it said "admitted." I just stared at for it for about ten seconds, checking to make sure it was real, and then I started laughing and screaming alone in my apartment at 9pm and I am sure that my neighbors all thought I was crazy. I called my mom and said, "I GOT INTO BERKELEY!!" and she said, "you're shitting me. FOR REAL?" The next day at work I couldn't pay attention to anything anyone said, and it was like I was walking around in a golden haze. 

I was eating a bowl of really good cream-top yogurt dotted with firm, fresh blueberries. I felt like MFK Fisher, Alice Waters, or Ruth Reichl, savoring the perfect simplicity of it... the full, richness of the yogurt. The wild, tart burst of a large blueberry on my tongue.

My cell phone rang, and it was a number I didn't recognize. A number in Berkeley, CA. I remembered that in previous years, successful candidates reported that my dream program had notified them by phone. I spit a large mouthful of pretty nasty-looking yogurt, blueberry goo, and saliva straight back into the bowl and answered the phone.

It ruined my breakfast, but it was the best phone call of my life.

Tonight I went to an Earth, Wind & Fire concert with some friends. It's the start of the weekend here in Dubai (because Friday is the holy day, Thursday night is like Friday night back in the Western World), so we were living it up. During the concert there was no 3G or wireless reception (I checked often), so I just danced and enjoyed myself with my friends (finally -- I've been a stressball over admissions for the last couple weeks, leaving my e-mail permanently up, constantly refreshing gradcafe on my phone). It was a lot of fun. The music was loud and live. There was a hard cider in my system. The company was good. No complaints. No thoughts of grad school. Just living in the moment.

After the concert was over, we started walking back to the parking lot, and someone asks a question that I deem necessary to find an answer to online and pull out my phone. Trying to hit the Safari button I accidentally open my mailbox and it vibrates telling me I have new mail. Instead of telling them the name of the leader of the band on the Muppets (Dr. Teeth), I stammer, "I got into grad school!"

My stomach still hasn't recovered yet from the excitement!

I was lying on my sofa feeling nauseous from a migraine watching Grey's Anatomy when I saw the email notification. I said, "Oh great just what I want" because I assumed it was a rejection. Two minutes later I was crying with joy on the phone to my parents!

I was going to text my friend that I can't make it to Katsucon due to weather, so I was dreading my phone, when I saw an email that said "congratulations"! I knew what it must have meant, so I yelled out loud "where?!!", which scared boyfriend immensely, haha!

I was lying on my sofa feeling nauseous from a migraine watching Grey's Anatomy when I saw the email notification. I said, "Oh great just what I want" because I assumed it was a rejection. Two minutes later I was crying with joy on the phone to my parents!

I was lying on the sofa with a migraine too!  We must all be giving ourselves migraines with this stress.  I saw the email on my phone, walked into my kitchen (while clutching my poor aching head) and held up my phone to my boyfriend without saying a word.  He read it and hugged me tight while I burst into tears!  I sobbed for a good 10 minutes before calling everyone I knew :D

I had just woken up and rolled over to check my phone for texts/Facebook notifications, and I saw it sitting there.  I was so happy!  Much relief from the shut-out rejection I got last year.

The night before I got my first acceptance I had a huge panic attack because one of my top choice schools had sent out some acceptances and I didn't receive one. That night I dreamt I woke up the next morning and checked my email to find I had been admitted. This actually woke me up because it seemed so real. I checked my email and I DID have an acceptance waiting for me, only it was from a different school entirely! I was still pleased because the school is in my top 3.

I was waiting for the bus after work, checking my emails as usual... I got so shocked I could only text my boyfriend to call me! I spent all the bus journey trying not to cry and finally called my parents and close friends. And my boyfriend bought me cake! :) it was such a relief, since last year I got all rejections!

I was sitting in the lobby of a hostel watching a drunk grandma get arrested.  

She was staying in my room (in her 60s probably and partying HARD at a hostel).  I was waiting to see if the police wanted a statement from me.  Figured I'd check my gmail while I waited and found a lovely email from my top choice school.  I'll never forget you, black-out drunk English grandma!  Retirement rager.

I had just woken up and since it is always the first part of my routine to check my email, that's what I did. I could not believe that three days after finishing the application, I had been accepted to my first choice! I re-read the email 8 times to make sure I read it correctly and then I called pretty much everyone I knew to tell them the news!

I was walking to school and was trying to call my father (no response) so I made sure my ringer was set on high and continued walking. A few minutes later my phone starts ringing and I assumed it was my father. It was one of my top 3 informing me that I had been accepted into the program. I burst into tears and had to sit down on a curb to get a hold of myself.

I had just woken up and since it is always the first part of my routine to check my email, that's what I did. I could not believe that three days after finishing the application, I had been accepted to my first choice! I re-read the email 8 times to make sure I read it correctly and then I called pretty much everyone I knew to tell them the news!

That's sick, congratulations!! :D Must've been phenomenal with such a quick response time. What brings you to the "Waiting It Out" subforum? Haha

Unofficial acceptance, but here is my story:

Drying hair today after a terrible morning.  The cherry on top was me bashing my head into a corner of a table.  So I finally get to dry my hair after putting some lunch in the microwave.  Phone rings in my pocket.  Area code says Newark, DE.  I start freaking out inside.  Director of graduate studies keeps saying how they were very impressed with my application and I can barely believe I'm not dreaming.  Said they want to have me there for a weekend, all-expenses paid.  

Stop drying my hair, call my boyfriend, mom, best friend, sister, tell my gran who is upstairs.  Lunch is still in microwave.  It's ravioli.  

These are the raviolis of victory.

Edited by gingin6789

I just got another notification from a school!  An acceptance with a Teaching Assistantship offer.  I was sitting in the living room with my gran and mom when I got the email:

Me: OH MY GOSH, I just got accepted to Lehigh with a teaching assistantship!

Mom: Oh I knew you would be accepted, congratulations!

Gran: What, does that have to do with the school that just called today?

Me: No, it's another one!!!

Then I ran around and screamed happily and made more phone calls to my boyfriend, thesis advisor, and best friend.

I was filling out a 200-some question thing for a crappy office admin job (WInslow Test) when I saw my gmail desktop app pop up with a "Congratulations on your admission to MSPP!"  I was so excited I almost didn't finish the questionnaire then realized I still needed some income between now and August.  Texted my mom and dad, and a couple friends.