What were you doing when you got accepted?

Orims

I have loved reading this thread, and I'm so happy that I finally get to post in it.

I received my first acceptance email while at an interview weekend for another school.  It was tough to continue behaving normally when I had a strong urge to do things like scream, cry, and call everyone with the news.

It was still awesome, though.  I was able to call my family from the airport while on my way home to give them the news.

I have loved reading this thread, and I'm so happy that I finally get to post in it.

I received my first acceptance email while at an interview weekend for another school.  It was tough to continue behaving normally when I had a strong urge to do things like scream, cry, and call everyone with the news.

It was still awesome, though.  I was able to call my family from the airport while on my way home to give them the news.

Wow congrats! It must have made the rest of the weekend much less stressful!

I took a nap, woke up for dinner and checked my email only to find an informal email about acceptance! I was totally not expecting it since it was already past 5 in that school's time zone!

Two of my three notifications were outside of "business hours" haha!

One was an acceptance after dinner time (5:54 PM), and the other was a rejection in the early morning (7:02 AM)!  It's funny how these things work out =) 

God only knows how blessed I feel to be typing here...

I was sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office, trying to protect myself from the Flu, Tuberculosis, and Cholera people were spreading.  While holding my breath and willing the germs away with the power of my mind, I noticed an email pop up on my phone with the subject "PhD Admissions."  I didn't recognize the name of the sender so I thought it might be spam, but then I opened the email and saw that my #1 POI was cc'ed on the email.  Cue palpitations. 

I immediately thought to myself, "Oh great...not only am I going to catch a communicable disease today, but here's a rejection from my dream school and POI!"  In the body of the email, all it said was "see attached."  My heart sank.  I reluctantly scrolled to the bottom of the message. I finally clicked on the letter and got as far as, "I am very pleased to inform you..." before I screamed "Oh my God!" and started squealing like a maniac, and it was then that I realized the inappropriateness of my reaction in such a setting.  I just kept saying, "OMG I can't believe it!" over and over again, whilst proceeding to call and text everyone I knew. 

Mom was first.  She was ecstatic but freaking over the thought of her "baby" moving to another country, even if it is divided only by a boundary line on a map. LOR writer/Professor/Undergrad PI was second...she teared up.  The calls and texts have continued for hours from all those wishing me well and booking visits in advance.  What a great day  :)

Edited by PsycD

God only knows how blessed I feel to be typing here...

I was sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office, trying to protect myself from the Flu, Tuberculosis, and Cholera people were spreading.  While holding my breath and willing the germs away with the power of my mind, I noticed an email pop up on my phone with the subject "PhD Admissions."  I didn't recognize the name of the sender so I thought it might be spam, but then I opened the email and saw that my #1 POI was cc'ed on the email.  Cue palpitations. 

I immediately thought to myself, "Oh great...not only am I going to catch a communicable disease today, but here's a rejection from my dream school and POI!"  In the body of the email, all it said was "see attached."  My heart sank.  I reluctantly scrolled to the bottom of the message. I finally clicked on the letter and got as far as, "I am very pleased to inform you..." before I screamed "Oh my God!" and started squealing like a maniac, and it was then that I realized the inappropriateness of my reaction in such a setting.  I just kept saying, "OMG I can't believe it!" over and over again, whilst proceeding to call and text everyone I knew. 

Mom was first.  She was ecstatic but freaking over the thought of her "baby" moving to another country, even if it is divided only by a boundary line on a map. LOR writer/Professor/Undergrad PI was second...she teared up.  The calls and texts have continued for hours from all those wishing me well and booking visits in advance.  What a great day  :)

I am so happy for you! If you decide to go, coffee's on me! Haha. Cheers!  :D

I am so happy for you! If you decide to go, coffee's on me! Haha. Cheers!  :D

Ha! Thank you so much!!!  I will DEF see you there, mon ami!  Can you believe it?!?!  I'm still in shock...

So happy that I finally get to post in this thread!

I checked my phone before I got in my car to drive home from work. I made a quick stop for food and coffee before going home to attempt and finish a response paper I have due. I had all of my stuff set out to be productive, but figured I would check my e-mail and stuff to get any possible distractions out of the way. It was about 9pm at this point so I really was not expecting to see my official acceptance to University of Calgary!

Needless to say I was not very productive after that!

I was feeling depressed and unsure of myself the previous night thinking I may have to apply for another year before going to sleep. I even tweeted a photo to cheer myself up though I rarely tweet. Next morning I turned on my phone as I always do first thing after waking up and see a new gmail message from my school to check the student centre. I was thinking that maybe they've made public announcements or minor changes to the application system. The message was as vague as they can get. When I saw I got an offer I couldn't help the giddiness and jumped out of bed to check the letter using my PC. :)

I was on my way to class and saw the message on my cell... I turned around to look for a computer to check my email since I didn't believe what I was reading. Confirmed what seemed absurd, then cried, got a headache, felt dizzy, etc.

Missed all classes that day to go to bed and sleep in peace for a few hours. Woke up and checked my email again to make sure it wasn't a dream. Posted the news on GradCafe.

Based on previous years data, I knew that offers would be sent out today. By the time 2 pm came around and I hadn't heard anything, I gave up for the day (because would be 5 pm where UM is located). I started doing homework for one of my courses, and at 2:07 pm I heard that I got an email through my phone. I saw the email title "UM EEB Offer of Admission" and smiled so big. Immediately texted my partner and emailed everyone that helped make this possible, tweeted, etc. 

I am sooo excited and relieved that this whole process is over. 

Ha! Thank you so much!!!  I will DEF see you there, mon ami!  Can you believe it?!?!  I'm still in shock...

Of course I can believe it! You would have never applied if you didn't think you have a chance of getting in. Congrats again! Enjoy the victory!  :)

Missed all classes that day to go to bed and sleep in peace for a few hours. Woke up and checked my email again to make sure it wasn't a dream. Posted the news on GradCafe.

I want this so badly! I have hardly slept since January. Even if I get rejected, it will be a relief if I can just sleep again....

Anyone else notice that no one on this thread has been admitted while obsessively refreshing their emails or doing "research" on grad cafe? It is my goal to become the first. lol. 

Ooooooh trust me, it's because of smart phones. At least for me. Going to thegradcafe was my next plan of action! :P

My last acceptance was both intriguing, symbolically funny, and wonderfully surprising.

Over the period of two weeks, I had been trying to get in contact with an admissions representative at Cornell University to resolve a situation regarding my GRE scores (I happen to have "two" names due to being a U.S. permanent resident to further complicate things...). Eventually, I get an email asking me why I did not apply for a fellowship, so I naturally quickly followed up.

Later in the day, my school is having an event for graduating seniors; its theme was how to develop a proper dinner etiquette. The host had literally just finished going over how it was extremely impolitely to give your cell phone more attention than the dinner guests when I received a call. At first, I quickly dismissed the phone (since I follow the rules of proper dinner etiquette, of course) and dined with my fellow classmates.

Eventually, I decided to check my phone since the person had left a message. Does nearly crawling on the floor sound like proper dinner etiquette if most the guests are gone for the evening?

It was last night for me. I was eating dinner on the couch, trying to soothe myself after an overwhelming day at work. My boyfriend was out at a poker game with his colleagues, and it was actually one of the few nights we hadn't eaten dinner together over the past few months. So there I am, eating my salad and watching the Top Chef finale (finally!), when one of the contestants served something called breadfruit. "Breadfruit?! Sounds amazing! I must know what it is." So I picked up my phone to google it, and the unofficial email from my POI was waiting for me.

I texted my boyfriend, who later told me he'd had to contain his own excitement during the poker game (not because it was poker, but because the notification was unofficial and he didn't want to risk it!). Then I sat and cried, and once the wave of (AMAZINGLY GOOD) shock and overwhelm passed, I finished my dinner, happy as can be.

I didn't sleep. I'm the happiest kind of tired right now. Still processing.

Oh, and I was not expecting to hear back until mid-March, so it was an incredibly pleasant surprise.

Edited by lbp2488