What were you doing when you got accepted?

Orims

That is really a good topic.

For the first acceptance; due to the difference of time I was at home and watching TV. It was at 11.30 p.m., I just thought that I should go to my room to check my e-mails. I signed in my gmail account and two minutes later than it, the e-mail came from York's Env. Studies PhD program director. The director says "congratulations, the committee unanimously recommends you for admission". When I saw that sentence I suddenly started to cry with happiness :)

The second one. Again due to the difference of time (I am in Turkey and applied for Canadian Schools) It was at 10.30 p.m. I have a f.ck buddy, and we met on that day. After a dinner in a restaurant, we went to her home. We continued to drink some beers (as we did during the dinner), then at 10.30 p.m. I just thought that I did'nt check my e-mails for more than 5 hours. I checked my e-mails via my phone and it is written that McMaster's faculty of graduate studies sent me an e-mail (it was sent at 10.20 p.m.) with the subject line "admission to McMaster", then I opened the e-mail and all the details could be found on it. I became very happy and confident after that since this was my second acceptance. So, you cannot imagine what happened between my f. buddy and me after that great news :)

I was on the phone with my dear friend. She was telling me about Easter/family issues. I had set my iPad down so I could pay full attention to her during our talk. However, after a while I saw the blinking notification for gmail. It had a name I didn't recognize and the title "program decisio..." And because I cannot do two things at one -- I immediately told her "omg I think the school has made a decision, I have to look." She was just as excited as I was! She told me to go log on and tell tell her what the program said, "I want to be on the phone!!!!!"

So I checked and I was so nervous I could barely navigate to the "acceptance letter" heading. I told my friend on the phone it said acceptance letter and we squeeed. She asked me to read the whole thing. I read, "we are pleased to inform you..." I stopped and we squeed, "you have been accepted..."

The truly funny part of this story is that I am not a super girly girl, and not at all air headed as this whole story sounds, but sometimes, during some situations you just have to act goofy.

The best part was that I was so nervous that I didn't notice until much later that in a big bold heading right when you log in it says "accepted Full time fall 2013." I didn't even need to read the letter to find out!

Edited by Goobah

First acceptance, I was out celebrating my mother's birthday, then I came back home, checked my email, and immediately ran to tell her. She said, "Best birthday present ever!" And we hugged :)

Second acceptance, I was checking my inbox all day still. Then I left my computer and cell phone to get some work done, within that hour I had gotten an email and a phone call to boot detailing my acceptance and funding. I guess it's like that "a watched pot never boils" saying XD

My first interview prospect was just a casual (loose term) email check and nothing too exciting. A week later I was about to head out to an old friend's birthday and I quickly checked my email to see the words 'congratulations' and 'finalist.' I was basically dumbstruck and couldn't really enjoy myself from the sheer shock. 

My husband just brought in the mail and with a big grin handed me this big fat envelope from U of T.  I had tears streaming down my cheeks as I read the acceptance letter out loud to my husband.  My young son sitting on the couch was not nearly as thrilled as he asked me to stop blocking the tv. :)

Edited by MSW13

I was at work for all five of my acceptances. My co-workers were very unimpressed by the last one, which is actually the one I was the most excited about. *sigh* Most of your stories are way more interesting.

I was alone in the library at school, panicking and rushing to finish a project due the next day. I saw the email and my heart didn't stop racing. Called my parents, called my best friends, while on the verge of tears and getting strange looks from everyone around me. Then I lost about three hours of working time because I was sooo happy and couldn't concentrate. It was worth it.

I was deliberating about whether to go to an interview for a school I wasn't nearly as interested about and then the POI for another school emailed me about the unofficial acceptance.  Since we had already met and talked many times before hand she kind of knew my situation and wanted to tell me in advance so I wouldn't be so worried, it was awesome and already speaks to how good our relationship is going to be.  So on top of the acceptance it was nice to feel so open with my future advisor.  Beginning of a great relationship!

This is great!

I got my acceptance today. I was at work, and my boss just resigned Friday. This is a major shock to everyone in the dept. and I've decided to let it all out with my co-workers and take the opportunity to take on a ton more responsibility without the pay (I'm on grant funds, so they can't pay me for work outside the scope of that project). I want, deserve and need a higher position-- especially if I'm not going to grad school, and I am going for it...

I'm in the middle of all this chaos, and yet I continue to check my school's website at least once a day. Usually 10:30, just before break. Today I checked it at 9:30, then again at 10:30. Nothing. I skipped lunch. I realized that was a mistake and around 1pm I decided I should go grab something to eat. I think, hrmm, "what the heck?" I'll just check the site again for sh*ts and grins.

I don't actually remember if I expanded the "status" section on the app at 9:30 or 10:30 this morning, if I did, I don't remember if I scrolled down. I think I did, but I can't be sure. However, at 1 pm, I scrolled down just to look at the list there. I scrolled down, I scrolled up, and somehow my brain caught on: "DECISION: View admissions decision." WHOA!

My pulse stuttered and then got super fast, my palms sweated, I started to breathe like I was sucking in the last bit of oxygen in the room. "Blah blah blah" "Pleased to inform you" "Blah Blah blah" "Fall 2013"

That was it. I printed the page and dropped it on my co-worker's (professional reference) desk. I went out and brought back popcorn and chocolates for the break room :D. Now I need to suck up and bow out of all these extra obligations >.>.

I was preparing for a festival at work till 10pm, and thinking to myself on the way home that it didn't matter if I got in or not because I have a wonderful life. It was the first moment I had exhaled in MONTHS. Then I got home and sitting on the dinning room table was the offer letter from my top choice. I cried, and laughed and jumped for joy. 

Mind you the next day at the festival my future advisor was scheduled to be our key speaker, so it was a very joyous weekend to say the least. 

You may not believe this but I assure you that it is absolutely true. 

Girlfriend and I were worn out from a long week of classes but were eager to jump into bed; that's when I got my rejection from Berkeley, which was disappointing, but I was in the bedroom and did not mind so much. Then just before round 2 I saw my phone light up with "something something offer"! Unfortunately our night ended there as I couldn't stop thinking about my first offer. But I did get an acceptance as consolation. ;)

I have two schools I am trying to decide between.

For the first one, I was sitting at a table selling padfolios for a club I am in with a current grad student. I was lazily checking my email on my phone because I was bored and there was an email from the school. I was so excited and it contained funding information.

For the second one, I was on a campus visit that I was not enjoying (not one of my two choices). It was late afternoon and I had just finished a meeting with the last professor of the day, but i still had two lab tours and a campus tour. I was walking between buildings and checked my email, expecting a rejection from said school because it was the last day they were notifying students. Instead there were two emails from the admin. One was an acceptance, and one was an invite to visit the campus. I had to read the acceptance email like 3 times before the words made sense and then I had to calm myself down before I went on my tours.

As I laid in bed with my eyes barely open, I grabbed my iPhone to start my day off with a podcast as I usually do and while doing this, my tired eyes saw the blurry subject line of that fateful email. I had to do a double take to make sure I had read the screen correctly, then I immediately popped out of bed and went prancing around my apartment in a fit of glee.

Mine is a little TMI but it's the truth & it might be funny to someone.

I suffer from recurrent UTI's & was in the middle of a raging one when I stupidly agreed to go to the grocery store with a friend. I was completely miserable the entire time & finally found myself in the bathroom, which is where I ended up checking my email on my phone & seeing that I had been accepted!

I was checking my email in the library, and I had completely let my guard down and found an email from the DGS unofficially accepting me to the program.

The second one was when I was walking to the parking structure, and the DGS of my soon-to-be alma mater told me they were going to accept me into their program.

• 3 weeks later...

I was freaking out.  I applied to exactly one school. For the last two years. I was pretty excited when I got an interview my first time applying and pretty bummed when I got rejected. But I knew that the program i wanted was extremely competitive. Only 12 people a year get in. So I was fairly certain I'd have to wait a long time.

Waiting was definitely the worst part. Especially after I still hadn't heard back over a month past the first rejection. I even got an email asking if I was still interested, and then heard nothing back for over a week. I was getting ready to leave work to get on a plane to go visit my brother for a weekend of distracting alcohol consumption when I checked my grad status, "One last time."

My joyful and triumphant squeal was probably heard from every office in the building.