What were you doing when you got accepted?

Orims

I was on the way back from hanging out with friends.

Because of some beer, it took me a while to carefully read the email and realize that it's the offer.

Even though it's not the first rank on my list, it's good enough to know that I have no need to wait for another year :D

I was driving to Oxford for some interviews when I noticed that I had three missed calls from an unknown number. I knew that the DGS of the Sanger Institute would call accepted applicants, so I was really excited thinking that it might have been him trying to call me. I immediately phoned all the people whose numbers show up as 'unknown' when they call me to make sure it wasn't any of them. It wasn't!

Anyway, when I arrived at Oxford, I had no email, so my spirits were down. I went to sleep and I was really nervous for my Oxford interview because it was my second-choice after Sanger, so I didn't sleep well. The morning of my interview, I checked my email and there was the acceptance from Sanger, complete with a sentence stating: 'We tried calling you yesterday but we were unable to get through...'. I was so happy! I was contemplating whether to attend the interview or not. I ended up going to be polite, but I went in completely relaxed and without any expectation of being accepted or not. The interview went terrible, but I did not care. 1 week later I got an acceptance from Oxford, haha. Guess they like terrible interviews! Anyway, ended up rejecting them.

I woke up from my valentines day snow day nap to get ready for dinner and found my acceptance email! :)

oh gosh, that sounds heavenly!! Nothing better than a nap, and to top it off with an acceptance email?  Wonderful!

I might have thought I was dreaming if that happened to me!  I was awake for a while when I got my acceptances yesterday, but I had to keep rubbing the bump on my head (I hit it on a table earlier in the day) to see if I felt pain to make sure it wasn't all a cruel dream (kind of like pinching myself to see if I'm dreaming) haha!

I found out today while I was at work in the library I work at.  I was helping train a new person so I wasn't compulsively checking my email like I usually do.  I found out I got in about 30 minutes before my lunch break.  I ran around our reading room, telling all the librarians that I had gotten into grad school.  When I finally got to go to lunch, I shared the news with my relatives.  I've been floating all afternoon!

Taking a dump, ironically. =|

Lol why ironically?

For my first admission, the story went like this.

I was 30 mins late for class, I ran to the classroom and only 5 people were there, so at first I was like "wtf?!" Then I was told that the prof didn't show up. Then I went to check my email and I got accepted.

For my second admission, I was thinking about just taking the first one and be done with it, then I woke up and got an email this afternoon and found out I got accepted. Somewhat frustrated and happy.

I was watching the Olympics - Switzerland/Sweden bronze medal game in women's hockey - and I got the acceptance e-mail the exact second the Swiss won. I was sitting with my parents and started cheering loudly; they didn't think anything of it because I'm a massive hockey fan and they assumed I was just happy that Switzerland won. 

First one, it was Valentines Day and I was spending it with Netflix. On a break I checked my email and saw it. A wonderful surprise.

Second one (today), Just woke up, rolled over checked my email. I've been dancing all morning!

So happy to be contributing to this thread. I've read through all the posts here for the past month, hoping I would one day write about my own acceptance; today, it came.

I was sitting in a boring meeting at work - when an email came through. It didn't excite me, since I completed my FAFSA application a few days ago and was receiving many emails from schools about financial aid that were unrelated to my admission decision. However, this particular email had the subject line containing the word "Congratulations!" It could only mean one thing.

Yup. I had been admitted. I did my best to keep my  cool throughout the rest of the meeting (no one knows I applied to graduate school), but I feverishly emailed my family and friends to share the good news.

I didn't apply to a single school that I wasn't excited to attend. The fact that I got accepted meant I was going to an institution where I would be proud to call myself an alumna someday. Even if I don't receive another acceptance, I'd be content.

Edit: Grammar. Sorry. Shaky hands.

Edited by starofdawn

I had just written a really angsty email to my McNair research coordinator at like 8a before prepping for class, asking if I should apply to English MA programs in addition to history PhD programs because my work is pretty interdisciplinary, which caused me to worry that history adcomms would not look favorably upon my proposed project. Mind you, this was really early in the application season so I was really letting undue anxiety have too much hold on me.

I checked my program's website out of compulsiveness at 8:30a and there was notification of my acceptance! I ran around my apartment screaming (luckly my roommates were awake prepping for class as well), as this was just a huge shock because I expected to be shut out. I called my mom, my grandma, and I was (and stil am) just exremely happy and I feel really blessed.  

Congrats everyone!  

I was presenting at a conference! The night before, I had given up, thinking I'd definitely been rejected. I went to the conference, and after I presented and attended panels, I saw missed calls, voicemails, and emails on my phone from the school. I read the first sentence when I got home, screamed, scared the hell out of my poor dog, and ran to the phone to notify others. 

I only applied one place, and I was sure I wouldn't get in. 

I was at work wondering whether or not I should eat a candy bar for lunch, since I'd woken up late and forgotten to pack a real lunch. The phone rang, and all thoughts of lunch were immediately replaced by shock and euphoria.

So happy to be contributing to this thread. I've read through all the posts here for the past month, hoping I would one day write about my own acceptance; today, it came.

I was sitting in a boring meeting at work - when an email came through. It didn't excite me, since I completed my FAFSA application a few days ago and was receiving many emails from schools about financial aid that were unrelated to my admission decision. However, this particular email had the subject line containing the word "Congratulations!" It could only mean one thing.

Yup. I had been admitted. I did my best to keep my  cool throughout the rest of the meeting (no one knows I applied to graduate school), but I feverishly emailed my family and friends to share the good news.

I didn't apply to a single school that I wasn't excited to attend. The fact that I got accepted meant I was going to an institution where I would be proud to call myself an alumna someday. Even if I don't receive another acceptance, I'd be content.

Amazing! Congratulations! :)

I definitely know that feeling!  I was in a meeting at work when I got my first acceptance after sawing the email headline pop up on my phone.  It took a lot of patience to keep a straight face for the rest of the meeting, but eventually I decided to leave a bit early, run to my office, shut the door, and do my little celebratory dance.  Now working 60 hours a week doesn't seem as bad knowing that I'll be leaving in a few months.

Has anyone else gotten problematically lazy since being accepted?

I made a three-step plan to graduate with minimal work this semester. >_>

edit: decided to post this as a topic

Edited by PhDerp