Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

What people think of Michigan State's Pol Sci PhD program? 

It is a quite good program. They seem to have a preference for how polisci should be done. If that is what you are interested in, then it can be an even better program for you. If not, then I guess you wouldn't have applied in the first place. In any case, an MSU acceptance is not a small accomplishment. 

The one on 1/13 was me, 

Congrats mygrotianmoment. Interview =! acceptance, but it definitely is a damn good signal that you are on the right path. 

lol. My options include things you have never heard of.

Well fine. Then I'll just go to the bakery and have Johannisbeerkuchen, Sachertorte or Herrentorte, or something along those lines. And I'm going to enjoy every bite. As revenge. Sweet sweet revenge.

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

I work at a pub, and we've got our holiday party tomorrow night. Should be fun to have some Guinness and Smithwicks!

Do you carry ciders? For some reason when I was in Ireland, we drank mostly cider. Of course - and I'll probably make enemies - I'm not a fan of Guiness. It's a dark beer that tastes like a light beer. As in, I don't think it tastes like much.

Do you carry ciders? For some reason when I was in Ireland, we drank mostly cider. Of course - and I'll probably make enemies - I'm not a fan of Guiness. It's a dark beer that tastes like a light beer. As in, I don't think it tastes like much.

There's Strongbow on draught. Pretty popular too

There's Strongbow on draught. Pretty popular too

Apparently Strongbow is brewed by the UK Bulmers. Which is confusing, because the Irish drink Bulmers, but not the British Bulmers. And since there is a British Bulmers, they sell Irish Bulmers as Magners.

So this red wine I'm drinking... :)

Whoops, sorry guys. I have a habit of bringing this forum with me down the rabbit hole. I swear I don't drink much (I'm just a culinary tourist!). 

I'm about to wish on you all something that should be wished on no one. Well, part of this anyway. Can you guess which part?

What to expect in grad school, according to The Simpsons

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

Apparently Strongbow is brewed by the UK Bulmers. Which is confusing, because the Irish drink Bulmers, but not the British Bulmers. And since there is a British Bulmers, they sell Irish Bulmers as Magners.

So this red wine I'm drinking... :)

Oh yeah, and Magners is really popular too. I'm more of a Smithwicks guy myself.

Oh yeah, and Magners is really popular too. I'm more of a Smithwicks guy myself.

I like Smithwicks. The first taste I ever got of it was during a seminar as an undergraduate. We got extra credit for bringing a "culinary bonus" for our country related presentations. :D

Welcome to the 2014 cycle! I know it can be really stressful, but just remind yourselves to breathe at this point. You've done everything that you can do, now you just have to wait for acceptances to come in!

If you have any questions about the program at UCSD, I'm happy to answer them here or through PM. I'm in the program here and can help you sort out any questions you might have.

Oh, and I don't know if notifications have already been sent out/when they will be sent out. Sorry!

While it hasn't come up too much in this thread. it looks like Rochester will not be making decisions this week.  Sounds like a slightly bigger pile than usual (though the pile is never very big relative to competitors).

Anyway, one less thing to gnash teeth about.  OH DEAR GOD LET ME GET INTO ROCHESTER SO THAT I CAN ENJOY COACHRJC'S WONDERFUL COMPANY AND ROCHESTER'S WONDERFUL WEATHER.

While it hasn't come up too much in this thread. it looks like Rochester will not be making decisions this week.  Sounds like a slightly bigger pile than usual (though the pile is never very big relative to competitors).

Anyway, one less thing to gnash teeth about.  OH DEAR GOD LET ME GET INTO ROCHESTER SO THAT I CAN ENJOY COACHRJC'S WONDERFUL COMPANY AND ROCHESTER'S WONDERFUL WEATHER.

COACHRJC PLEASE INCREASE THE NUMBER OF ADMITS

If you have any questions about the program at UCSD, I'm happy to answer them here.

One of the users here mentioned earlier that UCSD started funding international students this year (I think). I was wondering if you have intel that would confirm this. 

OH DEAR GOD LET ME GET INTO ROCHESTER SO THAT I CAN ENJOY COACHRJC'S WONDERFUL COMPANY AND ROCHESTER'S WONDERFUL WEATHER.

Assuming, of course, that you will be there next fall. Pretty strong assumption, I say.

Edited by TheGnome

UCSD has always admitted & funded international students, there's just substantially less money available to assign to them. So, p(admission|American) != p(admission|international). The stats of many of the international students are superior to the domestic ones, it seems.

I see, thanks. So this year being different from previous years does not seem like a correct description of how admissions are being done at UCSD.

Congrats to the MSU admit!! MSU sure is moving fast this year - but postal service? 

Is everyone expecting UCSD decisions around the end of the month/very early next month? Seems like that has been the trend in recent years.

I would visit Prof. Kaare Strom on Tuesday. He is committee member and we will see how things work out.