Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Can you maybe give me a link? And congrats! I guess you just got the good news, given the smiley :)

Here's the link: https://apply.grad.rochester.edu/account/login?r=https%3a%2f%2fapply.grad.rochester.edu%2fapply%2fstatus

For me, it says "an update to your application was last posted on February 3, 2014" near the top of the webpage.

Edited by B-squared

I see. Sigh. I guess I just got dinged then. Won't lie, this one really hurt, but such is life.

Congrats to the admits, zudei and B-squared. Nice job, folks! 

I think that some bargaining is still going on within the department, so it might not be the end of notifications...

Thanks a lot mate :)

Ha! Thanks for the consoling words zudei, though I highly doubt it. Time to move on.

Rochester is a great program, and you should get on with the well deserved celebrations. Don't forget to buy a round of scotch for coach during the rush 14!

Congrats to everyone who heard good news yesterday. Those of us who didn't: Let's not despair, the cycle is still relatively young, and, as I have been reminded on here by kind people, not hearing anything at this point just means that you didn't hear anything, especially for schools that do only informal waitlists/have decisions trickle in!

Congrats to everyone who heard good news yesterday. Those of us who didn't: Let's not despair, the cycle is still relatively young, and, as I have been reminded on here by kind people, not hearing anything at this point just means that you didn't hear anything, especially for schools that do only informal waitlists/have decisions trickle in!

I really doubt my competitiveness in this round of application. Maybe it is time to move on, find a job, marry a wife, and live a life.

Edited by steedyue

I really doubt my competitiveness in this round of application. Maybe it is time to move on, find a job, marry a wife, and live a life.

I also doubt myself a lot, but the cycle is still not even close to being over. All you need is one acceptance!

Congrats Orlien, a nice streak you have there!

Now that I got dinged by Rochester, I feel like I should take advantage of the commercial opportunities that I encounter. I mean life doesn't stop, does it? This e-mail below came at a much needed time (while I was hoping to get news from the R-town), and I feel like I found my calling. Seems pretty legitimate right? Ms Favor should definitely get props for creativity and the "dearest one" line, if you ask me.

"Dearest one,

Please permit me to introduce myself to you. I am Miss Adi Favor, single girl and the only child and daughter of late Mr.Coulibally Adi from Ivory Coast. I want to use this great opportunity to request for your urgent assistance for relocation and investment establishment in your custody by transferring my inherited money into your bank account and also relocate to your place to continue my education.

My late father Mr.Coulibally Adi was a businessman before he was assassinated on 9th of Feb. 2013. Some months after the death of my father, two of my uncles conspired against me and sold my father’s properties to a Chinese businessman all because I am a girl.

A week ago, I opened my father’s briefcase and saw some documents which my late father used and deposit the sum of Four Million Six Hundred Thousand USD ($4.6 Million USD) in a Bank here in Ivory Coast with my name as the next of kin. I have tried to withdraw the money so that I can start a better life and take care of myself but the branch manager of the Bank whom I met in person told me that my present status doesn’t permit me by the local laws to withdraw money or make a transfer of money from this account. He advised me to present somebody or a company to stand on my behalf that will help me and invest the money or I should wait till when I will be 25 years old according to the law of Ivory Coast and also the agreement bond which the bank signed with my late father the day of this deposit.

Please if you can help me, I would like to relocate to your country to further my education while you invest the money in any good business investment on my behalf.

I am willing to give you a good compensation if this is acceptable to you. The funds will be legitimately transferred into your bank account through bank wire transfer, there is no single risk involves.

Please I need your urgent reply in this matter.
Regards,
Miss Adi Favor"

How sweet!  Miss Favor wants to do you a favor!

Congrats Orlien, a nice streak you have there!

Now that I got dinged by Rochester, I feel like I should take advantage of the commercial opportunities that I encounter. I mean life doesn't stop, does it? This e-mail below came at a much needed time (while I was hoping to get news from the R-town), and I feel like I found my calling. Seems pretty legitimate right? Ms Favor should definitely get props for creativity and the "dearest one" line, if you ask me.

"Dearest one,

Please permit me to introduce myself to you. I am Miss Adi Favor, single girl and the only child and daughter of late Mr.Coulibally Adi from Ivory Coast. I want to use this great opportunity to request for your urgent assistance for relocation and investment establishment in your custody by transferring my inherited money into your bank account and also relocate to your place to continue my education.

Please I need your urgent reply in this matter.
Regards,
Miss Adi Favor"

Ha! Thanks for the consoling words zudei, though I highly doubt it. Time to move on.

Rochester is a great program, and you should get on with the well deserved celebrations. Don't forget to buy a round of scotch for coach during the rush 14!

I shall maybe buy him a whole bottle (bank account willing) ^^ But seriously, while unlikely, it is possible that they still send some notifications. In any case I am sure there will be lots more acceptances from other schools coming your way in addition to the ones you already have :)

Have anyone ever been offered with low GRE scores? I mean, I have 147/156/3.0. I know I should've thought about this much earlier and may be retake it or even try to apply next year. But it's too late to turn back. Do I have any chances? Or I better shut down my e-mails windows in my browser, turn PC off and never come back on this forum? :)

Edited by Aplusk

Have anyone ever been offered with low GRE scores? I mean, I have 147/156/3.0. I know I should've thought about this much earlier and may be retake it or even try to apply next year. But it's too late to turn back. Do I have any chances? Or I better shut down my e-mails windows in my browser, turn PC off and never come back on this forum? :)

I've heard (this whole post is based on hearsay, so take it with a pinch of salt) that some departments have a cutoff, some departments need waivers from the graduate school in case of low GREs. I've also heard in general that being in the top decile helps. In the end there is a lot more to your application than the GRE, but in low information settings, every good signal that you can provide can prove to be pivotal. So while low scores are not the clincher, you should hopefully have something else in your apps that can trump them. Sorry for the "I don't really know" kind of response. But the truth is none of us can really say for sure. In any case, good luck!

Two years ago, I started off my cycle (MA admissions) with three rejections, one to a pretty low-ranked school (in comparison). I lost heart, then got accepted to my three top choice(s) (including the school that was consistently ranked either 1 or 2 in my field), and waitlisted and then accepted to Yale. I know it sucks, but sometimes it goes like this! 

I've heard (this whole post is based on hearsay, so take it with a pinch of salt) that some departments have a cutoff, some departments need waivers from the graduate school in case of low GREs. I've also heard in general that being in the top decile helps. In the end there is a lot more to your application than the GRE, but in low information settings, every good signal that you can provide can prove to be pivotal. So while low scores are not the clincher, you should hopefully have something else in your apps that can trump them. Sorry for the "I don't really know" kind of response. But the truth is none of us can really say for sure. In any case, good luck!

Thanks!

Two years ago, I started off my cycle (MA admissions) with three rejections, one to a pretty low-ranked school (in comparison). I lost heart, then got accepted to my three top choice(s) (including the school that was consistently ranked either 1 or 2 in my field), and waitlisted and then accepted to Yale. I know it sucks, but sometimes it goes like this! 

thanks for the pep talk. 'tis the story I am hoping for.

Btw, what sort of biases do you guys think are in the results postings?

I think an acceptance bias, but also a US applicant bias are likely. Perhaps also a bias towards higher ranked schools at least with respect to rejections?

Definitely an acceptance bias. US applicant bias I'm not sure about, but it is possible. Definitely a bias towards higher-ranked school, as is evidenced on the forum as well, I would say. 

I would say that people that post there tend to be more invested in the process than the average PhD applicant, which can at least partly explain the ranking bias.

There's a strong US school bias, Canadian and/or British programs are hardly mentioned.

Anyone willing to test for biases using some of the real numbers available?

I am again deemed the low man on the Rochester grad student totem pole and accordingly have been named student Grand Poobah of All Things Rush.  If any of you admits (whom I think I've contacted via PM pretty comprehensively, but lurkers persist) have questions, please PM me.  I'm happy to start a dialogue.

And for the non-admits, I'm sorry.  The downside of being a post-application-season gradcafe citizen is that you get to know people that apply to your school that end up not getting in.  In some instances, they've got time to kill and are persistent and then apply again, get in, AND THEN GO SOMEWHERE THEY LIKE BETTER.  Not naming names BUT YOU MADE ME CRY SO HARD WHEN YOU SPURNED ME.  But other times, you know that was the one chance to become their Brother or Sister in the Order of the Knights of Differential Topology, and it's a bummer, because you knew they'd be a fine Brother or Sister in the Order of the Knights Differential Topology.  But, I guess if you do it right, the individualism in the business, when coupled with the cheapness of communication (and increasingly learning), means that we get to be colleagues all the same.  This all sounds like bullsh*t to make things seem better, but it also happens to be true.  CLEARLY WE ARE ALL GOING TO WRITE IMPORTANT PAPERS TOGETHER.