Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Congrats to Chicago people! Things are moving. Groovy. 

I am 2/7 on predictions. If I end up 7/7, I should get some sort of reward. For example a Princeton acceptance would suffice, thank you.

A few hours ago 73 people were reading this topic. Not sure if I had seen a number higher than that though.

Congrats to ohhemingway and the other UChicago admits!

As for those of us who haven't heard from UChicago: should we hold out hope, or is it looking pretty grim?

Give it a couple of days, maybe the end of the week, then fret.

Congrats to admits firstly!

Maybe there is a possibility of being waitlisted; but I think Chicago has sent all its admissions. Looking the past year, I think we may get our rejection mails in two days.

It's 6:53pm Eastern and 3:53pm Pacific...wonder if any other schools will be releasing results today, or if we're in for a lull for the night.

Edit: Congrats to the latest UIUC admit (and the three Chicago admits)!

Edited by veritaserum

It's 6:53pm Eastern and 3:53pm Pacific...wonder if any other schools will be releasing results today, or if we're in for a lull for the night.

I'm holding out hope for news from UCLA; still ~1 hr left in the workday for the West Coast...

Really looking forward to hearing from schools. Should be hearing from Pitt this week, based on previous years' posts! Anyone else here waiting on Pitt?

I'll claim the UIUC  :-)

Thanks for the good vibes.

And a big congrats to everyone else who got offers today!

This is probably a stupid question, but...when it comes to mailing in official transcripts, that should only be done once one has accepted an offer, correct?

Congrats to admits firstly!

Maybe there is a possibility of being waitlisted; but I think Chicago has sent all its admissions. Looking the past year, I think we may get our rejection mails in two days.

While that may certainly be a pattern, I don't think we should regard past results as a sure-fire indicator of what's going to happen this year. Remember that the Ohio State admissions process threw us all for a loop. 

We only have data on the last two years - only a small sample - and as good social scientists should not make sweeping generalizations based on a small number of cases!

We only have data on the last two years - only a small sample - and as good social scientists should not make sweeping generalizations based on a small number of cases!

The number of years is not the sample size  :P. I would guess there is enough data to come up with reasonable estimates of how many schools will release decisions by X date, but not enough estimates of individual schools. The sample size is actually pretty good since each individual admissions offer should be treated as a data point (well, depending on what you are looking at).

I can't wait to go back to school!!!!!

Congrats to ohhemingway and the other UChicago admits!

As for those of us who haven't heard from UChicago: should we hold out hope, or is it looking pretty grim?

Last year there were a few stragglers, so I'm holding out hope that another few decisions will be announced in the upcoming weeks. But... it's not dark yet, but it's getting there.

Huge congrats to those admitted. I am a little devastated by Chicago's decision to waitlist me, but I am thrilled to have received an acceptance from NYU. 

Congrats indeed to all those in at Chicago! Congrats to you on NYU as well! :)

Congrats on NYU, and also on the Chicago waitlist!

Now that we know that waitlist notifications were sent in addition to acceptances, I think I'll give up that shred of hope to which I was clinging.

Waiting on Pitt too. After spending a few weeks on this forum, I'm starting to figure out I didn't have much of a clue as to what I was doing as I was applying, so I'm not terribly optimistic about my chances. We'll see though!

Edited by thomasedward

So my roommates/flatmates are all big wine/alcohol aficionados. Usually I'm pretty good at not joining them, but over the last couple of days, it doesn't take a whole lot of convincing lol.  

Welcome to all the new faces usernames (?)! Great to see some more people coming off of anonymous status and joining in the conversation :)

2013: Monday, February 4th (5th Monday of term, but technically 6th week, because Winter quarter started Wednesday, January 2nd)

2012: Monday, January 30th (4th Monday of term, but technically 5th week, because Winter quarter started Wednesday, January 4th)

2011: Monday, January 31st (5th Monday of term; Winter quarter started January 3rd)

There seems to be a general trend of starting notifications on Mondays at UCLA. And hearkening back to advice earlier in the thread about checking start-of-term dates, UCLA started on Thursday, January 2nd this year. If they stick to the pattern, Monday, February 3rd will probably be the day they start. 

So clearly the UCLA prediction for today didn't pan out. But looking back, term started on Wednesdays the two previous years, but a Thursday this year (January 2nd). Perhaps news will arrive tomorrow instead, since it's been pushed back by a day?

I have no idea. Giving up on trying to predict anything else. *sigh*

Edited by veritaserum

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this yet, but there's now an "Application Decision" section at https://www.grad.ucla.edu/gasaa/admissions/applicat.htm (Unless it's always been there and I've somehow just missed it this entire time?)

Application Decision

Decisions for the fall term are generally not available until February at the earliest, and may not be made until April or even later.

Questions about whether supplemental application materials have been received should be directed to the major program.

•  

This is my first post... 

I've only heard back from Arizona State (acceptance) and UW Madison (rejected). 

The results page has a bunch of decisions from U of South Carolina, and I haven't heard back anything from them officially. I heard from someone there that they hadn't even sent out results yet, so I'm wondering if the results page is legit. Otherwise, I'm assuming either waitlist or reject from them. It also seems that the consensus was that Washington was interviewing all their potential admits, yes? 

There's lots of discussion about potential release dates from all my other applications (decline to state) save for U Florida. Any idea when that one might be?

Edited by wwmiv