Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Definitely an acceptance bias. US applicant bias I'm not sure about, but it is possible. Definitely a bias towards higher-ranked school, as is evidenced on the forum as well, I would say. 

I would say that people that post there tend to be more invested in the process than the average PhD applicant, which can at least partly explain the ranking bias.

There's a strong US school bias, Canadian and/or British programs are hardly mentioned.

Anyone willing to test for biases using some of the real numbers available?

You're right, clearly a bias towards the keenest people here. That explains why there are quite a few second-cyclists.

I would have thought there are more Americans because Internationals are likelier to have eggs in other baskets, too.

You're right, clearly a bias towards the keenest people here. That explains why there are quite a few second-cyclists.

I would have thought there are more Americans because Internationals are likelier to have eggs in other baskets, too.

At the same time, though, internationals might be more likely to be here in the first place, because they have less info off-line, and thus are more likely to search for such a community. Not sure which is true, though. Could also test, since most posts on the results page include status.

At the same time, though, internationals might be more likely to be here in the first place, because they have less info off-line, and thus are more likely to search for such a community. Not sure which is true, though. Could also test, since most posts on the results page include status.

Was thinking along the same lines as you. It seems reasonable to assume that perhaps a higher proportion of international applicants (especially if we include Americans currently living abroad in this) would be on here relative to the counterpart proportion of American applicants. But if we're talking comparisons in terms of absolute numbers, there are probably more Americans on here than internationals, for the simple fact that there are more Americans full-stop applying for grad programs in the States. 

I am again deemed the low man on the Rochester grad student totem pole and accordingly have been named student Grand Poobah of All Things Rush.  

Translation: "I have once again been successful in aggressively lobbying to run the Rush, a name I came up with and love."

Edited by RWBG

So the professor that is in charge of admissions this year rocks up to me a couple of weeks ago and is like "Hey, I've heard good things about how you help out with recruitment and was wondering if you'd like to do it again."  So I say yes, and then I go over to the professor that ran it last year and am like "GEE THANKS FOR GIVING ME RAVE REVIEWS NOW I HAVE TO DO RUSH AGAIN."  And the professor is like "Dude, let's be honest.  You were going to finagle your way into doing Rush one way or another.  Don't come to my door with your lamentations."  Then he mocked me for a while, as is his custom.  Then I wept for a while and tried to prove that something is a diffeomorphism.

Edited by coachrjc

So... I logged into my Rochester account and it looks the same as the day I submitted my application.  Is there somewhere I should be checking my status?  (I don't even see a "Status Pending" or anything so I am not sure if I am looking at the right thing...).

Also, congrats to all the acceptances the last couple of days!

Edited by TorrentOfArdentPathos

So... I logged into my Rochester account and it looks the same as the day I submitted my application.  Is there somewhere I should be checking my status?  (I don't even see a "Status Pending" or anything so I am not sure if I am looking at the right thing...).

Also, congrats to all the acceptances the last couple of days!

You're looking in the right place...

So the professor that is in charge of admissions this year rocks up to me a couple of weeks ago and is like "Hey, I've heard good things about how you help out with recruitment and was wondering if you'd like to do it again."  So I say yes, and then I go over to the professor that ran it last year and am like "GEE THANKS FOR GIVING ME RAVE REVIEWS NOW I HAVE TO DO RUSH AGAIN."  And the professor is like "Dude, let's be honest.  You were going to finagle your way into doing Rush one way or another.  Don't come to my door with your lamentations."  Then he mocked me for a while, as is his custom.  Then I wept for a while and tried to prove that something is a diffeomorphism.

So I will see you at Rochester then! OH YEAH! 

Any thoughts on when the next round of NYU acceptances will come out? Anyone know what subfield the acceptances from yesterday were in? 

Historically, it was about two weeks later. I thought yesterday's acceptances were from all subfields, but don't know for sure!

Historically, it was about two weeks later. I thought yesterday's acceptances were from all subfields, but don't know for sure!

I didn't see that anyone from yesterday's admits listed their subfields but I might have missed it. Is it in the forum(s) somewhere?

I don't think anyone did specifically, though I know some of their subfields from other posts. What's yours?

Mine would be Political Economy, BTW. Also haven't heard from them yet.

Mine is Political Economy as well. Haven't heard from NYU either. Do they really have two rounds?

Just heard from Chicago - a letter of acceptance from Cathy Cohen. Very excited, but mostly relieved!

I'm not sure if there is necessarily a U.S. bias, as both of my degrees are from Canadian schools (U of T and UBC) but based on what the letter said, it was my academic record and research agenda that put me over the top. I had relatively weak GRE scores (Q149, V167) and mediocre undergrad GPA, but strong letters of rec. and a few publications probably made up for that. So if anyone's worried about one or two aspects of the application, don't lose hope. Good luck everyone!

Just heard from Chicago - a letter of acceptance from Cathy Cohen. Very excited, but mostly relieved!

I'm not sure if there is necessarily a U.S. bias, as both of my degrees are from Canadian schools (U of T and UBC) but based on what the letter said, it was my academic record and research agenda that put me over the top. I had relatively weak GRE scores (Q149, V167) and mediocre undergrad GPA, but strong letters of rec. and a few publications probably made up for that. So if anyone's worried about one or two aspects of the application, don't lose hope. Good luck everyone!

Congrats, loving it!

A hearty congratulations to you!  Very happy for you.  What's your subfield?

Perhaps you should email them; that should be the best way to get a definitive answer.

A) I'm too afraid, and wanna hold on to a shriver of hope. B) I'm still waiting on some information that I would update my app with, and didn't wanna send two emails in a row.