Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Claiming a UCLA admit... and absolutely stunned. I didn't think it was a great fit.

The sigh of relief was probably audible halfway around the world. I am going to graduate school!

Congratulations!!! That's so awesome!

Is it ok if I join the party?

Welcome! :)

EDIT: wow this thread moves fast. Congrats to everyone who has received good news today. And don't despair if you haven't yet heard anything.

Edited by Orlien

So because I'm crazy and dying of anxiety, I searched up the thread from last year (since it seems like UCLA's acceptances really trickle in over a few days) and found this:

From conversations, it seems like the admissions process at UCLA is quite decentralized. I'm not sure that people that applied as IR have anything to do with those that applied as comparative/American.

(first post )

Given this... do those who've been accepted mind telling us your subfields? Thanks!!

So because I'm crazy and dying of anxiety, I searched up the thread from last year (since it seems like UCLA's acceptances really trickle in over a few days) and found this:

(first post )

Given this... do those who've been accepted mind telling us your subfields? Thanks!!

since i'm in the boat of having applied and not heard anything yet, i'll go ahead and say it. when acceptance get posted on this website is not a reflection of when they were sent out. it seems pretty clear to me that both UCLA and Berkeley did big blasts that probably covered all the admits. 

Balls...

since i'm in the boat of having applied and not heard anything yet, i'll go ahead and say it. when acceptance get posted on this website is not a reflection of when they were sent out. it seems pretty clear to me that both UCLA and Berkeley did big blasts that probably covered all the admits. 

Balls...

Sadly I'd normally agree with you on this. But on last year's thread, people actually claimed them on different days, and confirmed that their acceptances did not arrive on the same day, so I'm still holding out hope!! Although there have been so many acceptances for UCLA at this point that I'm sort of coming to terms with a rejection as well.

First, congrats to everyone that got an acceptance today!

Second, obviously the common denominator with these is I applied to none of them. Therefore, that's the only logical reason they all came out today. You're welcome.

Sadly I'd normally agree with you on this. But on last year's thread, people actually claimed them on different days, and confirmed that their acceptances did not arrive on the same day, so I'm still holding out hope!! Although there have been so many acceptances for UCLA at this point that I'm sort of coming to terms with a rejection as well.

I remember my year, UCLA did the whole blast admit, and I assumed that I had not been admitted. Then I got an e-mail a few days later from a POI congratulating me on being admitted (note: not notifying me of my admittance, but an e-mail that took it as given that I knew I had been admitted), and asking if I wanted to set up a phone call to talk about it. I said sure, that sounds great, but I haven't heard from anyone and I was under the impression that others had already been admitted, so was he sure that I had actually been accepted to the program? He responded with something like "I doubt they would have contacted anyone else yet, given that you were ranked first on our IR list". I guess they had forgotten to send me an e-mail somehow?

In a less exciting but still related story, Rochester had admitted people all at once historically (to my recollection). So when they admitted a bunch of students on here, I figured I was out, especially when I didn't hear for a few days; I even started discussing my other options with people on the assumption that I hadn't been admitted there. Then I got a phone call from them while I was making lunch.

Suffice to say, sometimes you don't want to jump to conclusions.

Edited by RWBG

Political(Science)Rules, who does the Middle East at NYU? I couldn't find any active faculty focusing on the region.

When the U.S. bias was being discussed, I think people were talking about the posts on the results page.

Professor Dickson is mainly a methods/political psychology guy but he has a lot of expertise in the region.  Professor Scacco focuses on Sub-Saharan Africa, but her research on participation in collective action/violence is really intriguing to me, and perhaps applicable to the developments in the region.

From conversations, it seems like the admissions process at UCLA is quite decentralized. I'm not sure that people that applied as IR have anything to do with those that applied as comparative/American.

I remember my year, UCLA did the whole blast admit, and I assumed that I had not been admitted. Then I got an e-mail a few days later from a POI congratulating me on being admitted (note: not notifying me of my admittance, but an e-mail that took it as given that I knew I had been admitted), and asking if I wanted to set up a phone call to talk about it. I said sure, that sounds great, but I haven't heard from anyone and I was under the impression that others had already been admitted, so was he sure that I had actually been accepted to the program? He responded with something like "I doubt they would have contacted anyone else yet, given that you were ranked first on our IR list". I guess they had forgotten to send me an e-mail somehow?

In a less exciting but still related story, Rochester had admitted people all at once historically (to my recollection). So when they admitted a bunch of students on here, I figured I was out, especially when I didn't hear for a few days; I even started discussing my other options with people on the assumption that I hadn't been admitted there. Then I got a phone call from them while I was making lunch.

Ran out of reps, so commenting as a multiquote instead. In any case, could it be that IR admissions are going out slightly delayed from the other subfields? *crosses fingers*

Congrats to all the admits over the past couple days!!! These are all excellent programs!

I have to confess though, it's getting old finding an empty inbox with all of these notifications going out, as I'm sure many others on here can confirm. Here's to a more successful rest of the week!

Well I got two decisions, my first two decisions, today. 

First, Boulder. After a long wait, they rejected me.

Apparently the UCLA has done some investigating over disputes of misogynistic practices within the philosophy department which has been released a week ago (thus they are not admitting ANY new students in that department). In addition, this past month there has been controversy over who I presume is the political science director's wife, Dr.Adler, who is also a professor in the sociology department. Dr. Adler required her TA's to dress and act like prostitutes to do a skit for an undergraduate course, and there have been other bizarre reports such as the professor coming to class dressed in only rope, no clothing. If that is his wife, I just don't think any of that, despite the amusement, is a worthwhile investment for my education. Who knows, this recent string of controversy and embarrassments in the social sciences could affect placement in the future, additionally, who knows if the UCLA has been investigating other social science departments at Boulder. I have some interdisciplinary interests in the social sciences I have expressed in my application. So, for me, the loss is a trivial one - high risk school. (And I might be a sore loser :P)

Secondly, I was admitted into U of New Mexico. I have research interests in American Indian Politics/Government and have made connections with the BIA, located in Albuquerque, NM (where U of NM is located.) The school and BIA work closely together on research and education as well. For me, it seems like a perfect fit, and I made the case fairly well in my SOP. The school, within three weeks of applying has offered me admission into the phD program along with an assistantship, tuition waiver, $16,000 stipend, and healthcare. Though it is not a top tier school according to the Newsweek rankings, I think it does offer me the best opportunities for my research and career in studying Native American societal homogeneity versus heterogeneity in respect to tribal lands. Upon graduating I could work with the BIA, teach, and draft policy to address the issues facing Native American communities. All of which could be used as a model for assisting other minority groups in America through cultural integration and social cohesion as I develop a general theory. Ultimately, the goal in academia should be to improve society, so I really feel great about the offer as an opportunity to do so. Very excited! 

You're totally surpassing me in terms of "Curmudgeonly Old Bastard on Gradcafe" status.  Attaboy.

To those who asked about fields among the UCLA admits, mine is IR.

Thx for responding. Anyone admits are CP?? Totally grasping at straws at this point.

Edit: HUGE CONGRATS!!!! 

Edited by anxious2151