Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Ich kann deutsch sprechen/schreiben. 我也会写中文! Je peux aussi ecrire un peu francais.

Whoa. Always been jealous of you multilinguals. I know chinese but I was born into it so it doesn't even count. Did you live in these areas or did you study them? I knew people in college who made a concerted effort to study 8, 9, 10 or more languages and i'm always so amazed but I can't bring myself to do it  <_<

Whoa. Always been jealous of you multilinguals. I know chinese but I was born into it so it doesn't even count. Did you live in these areas or did you study them? I knew people in college who made a concerted effort to study 8, 9, 10 or more languages and i'm always so amazed but I can't bring myself to do it  <_<

I spent a total of 18 months in China, studied in a francophone city, and am native German. I usually feel inadequate, because I don't really know any exotic languages, and I "only" know 4. Just goes to show you that who you surround yourself with shapes your perception...

I spent a total of 18 months in China, studied in a francophone city, and am native German. I usually feel inadequate, because I don't really know any exotic languages, and I "only" know 4. Just goes to show you that who you surround yourself with shapes your perception...

Very cool. If there was one thing I could've changed about undergrad, I would go back and study abroad somewhere and learn a new language. Certainly would've reduced the heightened anxiety I felt every time I saw the "other languages" box in all these grad school apps... plus I'm coming to realize more and more that I have absolutely zero credibility as someone with a minor interest in African politics, since I know none of the African languages. Oh well! Things I'll patch up on in future schooling I guess.

You Europeans, man. When I was backpacking around Europe a while ago, I was totally struck by the sheer number of languages you guys are fluent in! It's very impressive/I felt a bit inadequate in comparison lol. Whereas here in North America, being tri-lingual and knowing a smattering of words in various other languages, I'd thought I'd been doing okay...  

When y'all write to DGSs or AdComm chairs to get status updates, what do you say? How do you frame your email?

Dear DGS,

I am an avid follower of gradcafe and just want to inform you that numerous trolls have already submitted fake "admissions" to your program. The best way to counter this dishonesty would be to provide me my offer in writing today. I do not accept faxes so please send a courier (however, a personal delivery seems more in order). 

Anyway, I can accept your offer in advance... but only if you will provide me the additional benefits that a scholar of my caliber deserves: car-service, personal chef and three personal research assistants from your "regular" applicant pool. I will also consider an honorary doctorate and an immediate appointment to a tenured-faculty position. However, as you can imagine, my schedule will only permit me to teach on Tuesday afternoons between 4:00-4:30pm. 

Sincerely,

IR Theory Nerd

Dear DGS,

I am an avid follower of gradcafe and just want to inform you that numerous trolls have already submitted fake "admissions" to your program. The best way to counter this dishonesty would be to provide me my offer in writing today. I do not accept faxes so please send a courier (however, a personal delivery seems more in order). 

Anyway, I can accept your offer in advance... but only if you will provide me the additional benefits that a scholar of my caliber deserves: car-service, personal chef and three personal research assistants from your "regular" applicant pool. I will also consider an honorary doctorate and an immediate appointment to a tenured-faculty position. However, as you can imagine, my schedule will only permit me to teach on Tuesday afternoons between 4:00-4:30pm. 

Sincerely,

IR Theory Nerd

LOL, indeed. B)

When y'all write to DGSs or AdComm chairs to get status updates, what do you say? How do you frame your email?

Respectfully, first and foremost. You're not automatically entitled to such personalized updates (or in coachrjcese: don't be a jerk). Second, a dose of truth: you're incredibly anxious, and some news (either way) would be a relief. Most can empathize with that, especially if you can signal that you empathize with their incredibly busy schedules. 

This has worked for me in the past, and then again, it hasn't. Certainly can't hurt you though.

FORGET EVERYTHING I just wrote, and follow IRIRIR's lead. No way could that backfire.

Edited by xuejia

This has worked for me in the past, and then again, it hasn't. Certainly can't hurt you though.

I'm thoroughly undecided as to whether I ought to bug 'em. Thanks nonetheless.

Edited by IRTheoryNerd

I'm thoroughly undecided as to whether I ought to bug 'em. Thanks nonetheless.

If it helps, I applied to many of your schools and I've only heard from one, and that was for master's. So not all hope is lost!

First time posting! I got my first rejection letter last night (I am handling it very well, I think!), but now I am anxious. I see Penn State acceptances on the board, and invitations for interviews at Vanderbilt. Since I haven't heard from either, should I consider these as rejections?

Thoughts as to whether the storm in the Northeast will affect hearing admissions decisions? I'm (im)patiently waiting on BC and (even though, historically, I have another week at least), I choose to believe that I will hear immediately except for the fact that the school is closed today. This waiting is the worst. 

First time posting! I got my first rejection letter last night (I am handling it very well, I think!), but now I am anxious. I see Penn State acceptances on the board, and invitations for interviews at Vanderbilt. Since I haven't heard from either, should I consider these as rejections?

Hello fellow DC-er. I say stay strong and don't overestimate the veracity of thegradcafe responses. For all the information sharing, we have little knowledge where in the process of finalizing decisions most of these schools are. So just wait for a confirmation. That will be the only sure thing. The rest is just conjecture. And not even testable conjecture. ;-)

I'm exhausted after having to attend a work function until very late and then having a 7 am meeting. Cannot focus on my job.

...So I went to the results page to take a look. By my (very exhausted and non-exhaustive) count, the following schools (that we haven't already heard from) announced decisions in 2013:

Kansas

Michigan

Amherst

Connecticut

UPenn

UT

Simon Fraser

UMD

UVA

Irvine

MIT

Notre Dame

Feel free to add, subtract. Anyone want to pick a favorite or two for today?

UMD = Minnesota Duluth or Maryland? (Maryland's deadline was Saturday, so I would be surprised to hear so soon from them, even if they've had my application since December!)

Maryland! There were acceptances on the 7th and 8th of Feb 2013.