Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I'm not sure--and I'm probably overthinking it. I'm a JD who works in politics (currently and throughout law school) but was not a political science major in college.

I have a few publications under my belt, but they are very policy-oriented and have all been published in legal journals. I did work as an RA in college for the PS department and in law school I worked for several years as an RA for a book on political theory--but if you want any significant formal quant training, I am not your girl. My letters are all from law professors though one does have a Ph.D. in political science. Basically, I feel like I have a lot to offer in practical experience and can demonstrate a clear dedication to research, but I'm very nervous that my background just isn't political science-y enough for people to take me seriously as a candidate.

My understanding is that you are completely fine having a non-polisci background as long as you demonstrate an understanding of the discipline and can pose political science questions in your SOP and/or writing sample, and signal that you will not have a problem hacking the stats requirements through the GRE Q scores and/or math/econ courses. 

I'm not sure--and I'm probably overthinking it. I'm a JD who works in politics (currently and throughout law school) but was not a political science major in college.

I have a few publications under my belt, but they are very policy-oriented and have all been published in legal journals. I did work as an RA in college for the PS department and in law school I worked for several years as an RA for a book on political theory--but if you want any significant formal quant training, I am not your girl. My letters are all from law professors though one does have a Ph.D. in political science. Basically, I feel like I have a lot to offer in practical experience and can demonstrate a clear dedication to research, but I'm very nervous that my background just isn't political science-y enough for people to take me seriously as a candidate.

That all sounds impressive to me! (But I suppose you're not trying to convince me!) You might be overthinking it. I don't know how quant-heavy the programs you applied to are, but that can be a big deal or not a problem at all, depending on their perspective and your research interests. I got the impression while talking to departments last summer that some expect lots of quant preparation, some don't (but will expect you to jump on and learn fast), and some don't care very much, depending on your area of interest.

I have an MPP (undergraduate in political science) and several years working in the area I'm interested in studying/researching, and while I feel like that experience has focused my interests (confirming what I'm interested in, giving me experience with the practical implications/limitations of my research, getting a break from the onslaught of Grad School Part I), I worry now that I've tainted myself a little bit by getting into the hands-on application of research and not focusing on just research... 

You guys are both overthinking too much. I really envy your experience and background. You have no idea how cool and close to being accepted everywhere you are :) If I try to compare my background with yours, I'd be a 6-year kid and you are 21-year students.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Congratulations everyone that has received good news in the last couple of days! Just curious- of the UC Berkeley acceptances posted today, were you notified today (the 5th) or yesterday? And what are your subfields?

I'm sure everyone on this forum has been in this state of mind, but I am seriously starting to fret that I will not get in anywhere. I have serious admiration for those of you on your second, third, etc. cycles. 

I heard yesterday (the 4th).  My subfield is methods, so perhaps there are some that haven't released.  Best of luck with the decisions season!

You guys are both overthinking too much. I really envy your experience and background. You have no idea how cool and close to being accepted everywhere you are :) If I try to compare my background with yours, I'd be a 6-year kid and you are 21-year students.

Thank you! (I think, right?) I definitely think you might be underselling your own experience and its comparative worth. If it were the thing every program wanted and needed, then everyone would do it. But since variety in background is desirable, people who aren't headstrong and set on their area of interest and open to cool new things are also very desirable.

So, Pitt sent out some admissions yesterday, but I haven't heard from them at all yet. Any advice on how long before I should start thinking about calling or emailing to check on my application status?

In the same boat. The suspense is killing me. Assuming our odds aren't too great with how many admissions went out yesterday, but i'm keeping hope for at least being on the waiting list. 

Thank you! (I think, right?) I definitely think you might be underselling your own experience and its comparative worth. If it were the thing every program wanted and needed, then everyone would do it. But since variety in background is desirable, people who aren't headstrong and set on their area of interest and open to cool new things are also very desirable.

Thank you for these words, but sadly for me admition is likelottery mostly. I'm young, i've no experience at all...i'm just lucky to finish my bachelor degree so fast and then immediately apply to phd. May be it's a mistake

Long time lurker, first time poster. Congratulations everyone that has received good news in the last couple of days! Just curious- of the UC Berkeley acceptances posted today, were you notified today (the 5th) or yesterday? And what are your subfields?

I'm sure everyone on this forum has been in this state of mind, but I am seriously starting to fret that I will not get in anywhere. I have serious admiration for those of you on your second, third, etc. cycles. 

Hi femmegooner, welcome to the forum! There is still time remaining, and all you need is one acceptance! I have my fingers crossed for you.

Btw, are you a gooner (= supporter of Arsenal FC), or am I just mistaking the allusion? :)

My understanding is that you are completely fine having a non-polisci background as long as you demonstrate an understanding of the discipline and can pose political science questions in your SOP and/or writing sample, and signal that you will not have a problem hacking the stats requirements through the GRE Q scores and/or math/econ courses. 

That's my understanding as well--sure hope I did! Ha.

Thanks cjalpha and zudei for your words of encouragement!

And zudei, We are by far the best team the world has ever seen ;)

Guys, I think it's terribly unfair that Arsenal's difficult Feb fixture list matches our likely result dates. Will we run out of luck? But still, COME ON YOU GOONERS! ;)

3/7 responded by now, mostly just thanks for letting is know, well pass it along. I was kinda, in the back of my mind hoping one school would see this,anand just let me know im accepted, but thatsnotnot how this process works...

Hello IRToni!

Did any of the schools at least seize the opportunity when they replied you to indicate when they will release decisions?  Perhaps you could use such info to update your very useful spreadsheet.

Thanks!

Edited by aecp

For anyone still wondering about Duke, I emailed the Graduate Coordinator there and this is her out of office message:

"If you are inquiring about the status of your PhD application, the admissions committee members have made their decisions. Those applicants offered admission have been notified. MA applications are currently under review."

Edit: I also reached out to UCLA, will update if I get a response.

Edited by strangepeace

For anyone still wondering about Duke, I emailed the Graduate Coordinator there and this is her out of office message:

"If you are inquiring about the status of your PhD application, the admissions committee members have made their decisions. Those applicants offered admission have been notified. MA applications are currently under review."

Edit: I also reached out to UCLA, will update if I get a response.

Well then. I don't remember if I clicked the MA box or not....not that I care at this point.

Well then. I don't remember if I clicked the MA box or not....not that I care at this point.

For some reason, this reminded me of the email some of us got about Columbia's MA program and some of us did not. I'm still curious about where that came from and why.  

Ugh, just got a rejection email from London School of Economics Poli Sci MRes/PhD. Here's to hoping for a better rest of the cycle!  

Bummer! May I ask when you got your fourth email/sent in the docs for review?