Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I emailed Chicago's polisci grad. school administrator about this yesterday and this was my response:

"Thank you for your email and inquiry. As I am sure you are aware, the 

Office of the Dean of Students will email all official admission 
decisions and they expect to do so by February 18. In some cases, 

departments informally notify applicants of decisions earlier." 

So I imagine you'd get a similar response. Basically a non-answer.

Sigh. Chicago has traditionally had a bad reputation with how they treat applicants during this period but this is some real shit. "As I am sure you are aware?" Well, Chicago, I am aware that you are truly bad at treating applicants you don't immediately love with any kind of respect and understanding. Seriously they have a rep of waiting for a very long time, and sometimes not even bothering to reply or replying with this kind of snarkiness. It made me not wanna apply actually. My favourite proff at undergrad did his Phd at Chicago and spoke wonders of it and really he is the reason I applied.

Well thanks for asking for all of us, I suppose. We'll wait till the 18th. Here's a toast to you hoping the next correspondence with them makes them seem a lot less like the dicks they seem right now, cos they're coming back with an acceptance for you. :)

Привет! Ты тоже русский?

Political interests of Russia and the U.S. on the Middle East

Йеп, русская)

Mine is political theory: democratic theory, citizenship and immigration.

Yeah, you're right. I wanted to talk a bit about that there is a considerable number of schools in Europe that do not require knowing an additional language (if you're interested), but with interests like that it makes sense for you to study in (so to say) your area of interest. 

Good luck with hearing from your schools!

Edited by jeudepaume

Йеп, русская)

Mine is political theory: democratic theory, citizenship and immigration.

Yeah, you're right. I wanted to talk a bit about that there is a considerable number of schools in Europe that do not require knowing an additional language (if you're interested), but with interests like that it makes sense for you to study in (so to say) your area of interest. 

Good luck with hearing from your schools!

Yeah, you're right. Ну я сам виноват, что себе такую эрию ов стади выбрал)) Просто я не представляю, что мне было бы интересно еще....

What universities did you choose?

So, I just got an external, sizable scholarship. Who do I contact at the different schools to tell them about it?

Congrats!  DGS or the AdComm Chair, I would guess.

Edited by aecp

That's fantastic - congrats! I was strongly discouraged applying to top schools with a Fulbright, and my experience with them was pretty bad. I ended up declining it. 

Good luck for the next few weeks! I'm sure you'll get good news soon!

Congrats IRToni!

And for the record, I also emailed Chicago, and got the exact same response as wokeem, word for word. 

It's not at all good that University of Chicago treats applicants that way.  Can't they all be like the wonderful Prof BFB?!

That's fantastic - congrats! I was strongly discouraged applying to top schools with a Fulbright, and my experience with them was pretty bad. I ended up declining it. 

Good luck for the next few weeks! I'm sure you'll get good news soon!

This scholarship is basically just money, almost no strings attached. They also don't help you with your applications, which is annoying. I would hate to get the scholarship, and then not get accepted to any school in the US!

How do I find out who is the right person? NYU peeps, where did you get the acceptances from, the DGS, right?

Congrats TONI!! I think the DGS is Sanford, from whom we got the email. 

Edited by jazzrap

It's not at all good that University of Chicago treats applicants that way.  Can't they all be like the wonderful Prof BFB?!

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Professor BFB seems truly considerate, but I can't say I really fault Chicago for giving us the brush off. Although I would certainly prefer a thoughtful, individualized, and informative response, they ought to have other, more pressing demands upon their time. And if one of us were to be offered admission in the coming days, s/he too would become one of those pressing demands. It's all a matter of perspective.