Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Привет! Ты тоже русский?

Political interests of Russia and the U.S. on the Middle East

Привет, я родилась в Россие :)

but my interests are in American politics. looks like I defected ;P

Also,congrats Toni!

Maryland! There were acceptances on the 7th and 8th of Feb 2013.

That would be pretty great -- I wasn't expecting to hear from them until March at the earliest.

Sounds like there's a good chance I'm going to have a surprisingly calming week. I have reached a place where I am at peace* with anything that happens, as long as I can stop putting off big life decisions while waiting for decisions!

*Um, sort of.

I can already feel the Penn and Michigan rejections coming.

Why, pray tell? Silence up this point means literally nothing, so it's best not to beat yourself up like that.

That would be pretty great -- I wasn't expecting to hear from them until March at the earliest.

Sounds like there's a good chance I'm going to have a surprisingly calming week. I have reached a place where I am at peace* with anything that happens, as long as I can stop putting off big life decisions while waiting for decisions!

*Um, sort of.

I haven't heard from annnnyone. I feel like I might be sort of a weird candidate anyways, so I have no idea how to predict success or failure.

Привет, я родилась в Россие :)

but my interests are in American politics. looks like I defected ;P

Also,congrats Toni!

в России* :)

No, you're not! Actually I'd love to study American politics in depth, if had enough knowledge

I haven't heard from annnnyone. I feel like I might be sort of a weird candidate anyways, so I have no idea how to predict success or failure.

Agreed 100%. All I have is the rejection from OSU, which wasn't a huge surprise to me. Why do you think you're a weird candidate? 

My fingers are crossed that we'll hear from the University of Michigan before Friday. And a second wave of acceptances from Chicago, Duke, or NYU would make a lot of people happy.

What makes you think that these places do more than one wave? None of them have in the past, have they?

It would indeed make a few people happy, though.

3/7 responded by now, mostly just thanks for letting is know, well pass it along. I was kinda, in the back of my mind hoping one school would see this,anand just let me know im accepted, but thatsnotnot how this process works...

Do we think Michigan will be sending out acceptances before the end of the week? Looks like acceptances and rejections were out February 2 in 2012, but can't find much data on when they were released last year.

I was kinda, in the back of my mind hoping one school would see this,anand just let me know im accepted, but thatsnotnot how this process works...

That's exactly what we all would have wished... Keep the faith!

в России* :)

No, you're not! Actually I'd love to study American politics in depth, if had enough knowledge

See, this is how I know you're really Russian - you corrected my spelling!

When I was a kid, I went to this weekend Russian literature class for 8 years (immigrant parents), and when I got back my essays, there was usually more red ink than black ink on the page!

So, Pitt sent out some admissions yesterday, but I haven't heard from them at all yet. Any advice on how long before I should start thinking about calling or emailing to check on my application status?

Do we think Michigan will be sending out acceptances before the end of the week? Looks like acceptances and rejections were out February 2 in 2012, but can't find much data on when they were released last year.

There is not enough historical data to make an assumption. However, the past four years show a tendency to send out notices the first Thursday or Friday of February (2/7/2013, 2/2/2012, 2/4/2010 were Thursdays, and 2/4/2011 was a Friday). We'll see. They have had weather difficulties which could easily have made things difficult.

Why, pray tell? Silence up this point means literally nothing, so it's best not to beat yourself up like that.

Just not feeling good about my chances at any of the places I applied. Too many weakenesses in my application and not much to make me stand out in any way. But I was already preparing myself to be shut out when I was still submitting my apps so I think I'll handle it alright.

The Chicago rejection isn't helping either.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Congratulations everyone that has received good news in the last couple of days! Just curious- of the UC Berkeley acceptances posted today, were you notified today (the 5th) or yesterday? And what are your subfields?

I'm sure everyone on this forum has been in this state of mind, but I am seriously starting to fret that I will not get in anywhere. I have serious admiration for those of you on your second, third, etc. cycles. 

Just not feeling good about my chances at any of the places I applied. Too many weakenesses in my application and not much to make me stand out in any way. But I was already preparing myself to be shut out when I was still submitting my apps so I think I'll handle it alright.

The Chicago rejection isn't helping either.

Try and keep your chin up, it's still early in the process! And did Chicago notify you specifically about a rejection, or are you assuming this?

Edit: Never mind, just saw your "presumed" rejection sig.

Edited by wokeem

Agreed 100%. All I have is the rejection from OSU, which wasn't a huge surprise to me. Why do you think you're a weird candidate? 

I'm not sure--and I'm probably overthinking it. I'm a JD who works in politics (currently and throughout law school) but was not a political science major in college.

I have a few publications under my belt, but they are very policy-oriented and have all been published in legal journals. I did work as an RA in college for the PS department and in law school I worked for several years as an RA for a book on political theory--but if you want any significant formal quant training, I am not your girl. My letters are all from law professors though one does have a Ph.D. in political science. Basically, I feel like I have a lot to offer in practical experience and can demonstrate a clear dedication to research, but I'm very nervous that my background just isn't political science-y enough for people to take me seriously as a candidate.

There is not enough historical data to make an assumption. However, the past four years show a tendency to send out notices the first Thursday or Friday of February (2/7/2013, 2/2/2012, 2/4/2010 were Thursdays, and 2/4/2011 was a Friday). We'll see. They have had weather difficulties which could easily have made things difficult.

We're close. Maybe by the end of the week, almost certainly by the end of next week unless something unexpected happens. Weather hasn't affected anything, although it is unpleasant.

I'm not sure--and I'm probably overthinking it. I'm a JD who works in politics (currently and throughout law school) but was not a political science major in college.

I have a few publications under my belt, but they are very policy-oriented and have all been published in legal journals. I did work as an RA in college for the PS department and in law school I worked for several years as an RA for a book on political theory--but if you want any significant formal quant training, I am not your girl. My letters are all from law professors though one does have a Ph.D. in political science. Basically, I feel like I have a lot to offer in practical experience and can demonstrate a clear dedication to research, but I'm very nervous that my background just isn't political science-y enough for people to take me seriously as a candidate.

That all sounds impressive to me! (But I suppose you're not trying to convince me!) You might be overthinking it. I don't know how quant-heavy the programs you applied to are, but that can be a big deal or not a problem at all, depending on their perspective and your research interests. I got the impression while talking to departments last summer that some expect lots of quant preparation, some don't (but will expect you to jump on and learn fast), and some don't care very much, depending on your area of interest.

I have an MPP (undergraduate in political science) and several years working in the area I'm interested in studying/researching, and while I feel like that experience has focused my interests (confirming what I'm interested in, giving me experience with the practical implications/limitations of my research, getting a break from the onslaught of Grad School Part I), I worry now that I've tainted myself a little bit by getting into the hands-on application of research and not focusing on just research... 

That all sounds impressive to me! (But I suppose you're not trying to convince me!) You might be overthinking it. I don't know how quant-heavy the programs you applied to are, but that can be a big deal or not a problem at all, depending on their perspective and your research interests. I got the impression while talking to departments last summer that some expect lots of quant preparation, some don't (but will expect you to jump on and learn fast), and some don't care very much, depending on your area of interest.

Thanks! I specifically went for less quant-heavy programs and my research interests follow suit. I just tried to sell myself, on that point, as eager to learn.