Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Thx for responding. Anyone admits are CP?? Totally grasping at straws at this point.

Yeah we might be. I applied to CP as well though, and haven't heard anything, but honestly, experience wise, it means no for me. 

Super Congratulations to everyone who has been admitted to at lease one place, it is a feeling I wish I had. Congrats to everyone admitted to UCLA. I wanted that but I don't think it's gonna happen. Some people here have been admitted to 5 schools already and i just awed by how awesome you must be to have achieved that. 

When should we e-mail them asking if we've been rejected? For both Ohio State and Boulder, I had to e-mail them after I saw everyone else's acceptances and the online status was not changed. I don't wanna wait till April just to get a stupid rejection letter. When would be a good time to ask UCLA and Chicago (the two schools I haven't heard anything from but am sure I am rejected from) to confirm my rejection? 

Yeah we might be. I applied to CP as well though, and haven't heard anything, but honestly, experience wise, it means no for me. 

Super Congratulations to everyone who has been admitted to at lease one place, it is a feeling I wish I had. Congrats to everyone admitted to UCLA. I wanted that but I don't think it's gonna happen. Some people here have been admitted to 5 schools already and i just awed by how awesome you must be to have achieved that. 

When should we e-mail them asking if we've been rejected? For both Ohio State and Boulder, I had to e-mail them after I saw everyone else's acceptances and the online status was not changed. I don't wanna wait till April just to get a stupid rejection letter. When would be a good time to ask UCLA and Chicago (the two schools I haven't heard anything from but am sure I am rejected from) to confirm my rejection? 

I'm not really sure, but perhaps they didn't send you rejects because you haven't been rejected yet and still have a chance, if anyone will decline their offer.

What's your GRE?

Claiming a UCLA admit... and absolutely stunned. I didn't think it was a great fit.

The sigh of relief was probably audible halfway around the world. I am going to graduate school!

CONGRATS groatian!

Claiming a UCLA admit... and absolutely stunned. I didn't think it was a great fit.

The sigh of relief was probably audible halfway around the world. I am going to graduate school!

Ha! Profit! Congrats grotian, nice job!

Is it ok if I join the party?

Welcome aboard and congratulations! No better way to make an appearance with a Berkeley acceptance :)

Anybody here that's been through an interview with Vanderbilt? What kind of questions were you asked?

I had a Vanderbilt interview in my cycle. The adcom seems to do interviews to whittle down their short list. The questions were mostly follow ups on my stated research interests. Just be prepared to talk in a sensible way about what interests you in political science and don't try to talk above your actual expertise.

I completely blew this interview. The second I hung up I knew I was toast at Vandy.  Cindy Kam probably still thinks I am mentally challenged.

I got lucky and got an offer from a better option a week later.

Edited by BigTenPoliSci

Have anyone heard anything from universities in my list? I've heard nothing, not a single e-mail. Bad sign

Hi! Check it here http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=political 

To my recollection I don't remember any results appear for your schools.

Congratulations to all the new admits! 

I had a Vanderbilt interview in my cycle. The adcom seems to do interviews to whittle down their short list. The questions were mostly follow ups on my stated research interests. Just be prepared to talk in a sensible way about what interests you in political science and don't try to talk above your actual expertise.

I completely blew this interview. The second I hung up I knew I was toast at Vandy.  Cindy Kam probably still thinks I am mentally challenged.

Thanks for sharing, BigTenPoliSci and an earlier poster!

I emailed Chicago's polisci grad. school administrator about this yesterday and this was my response:

"Thank you for your email and inquiry. As I am sure you are aware, the 

Office of the Dean of Students will email all official admission 
decisions and they expect to do so by February 18. In some cases, 

departments informally notify applicants of decisions earlier." 

So I imagine you'd get a similar response. Basically a non-answer.

Thanks for sharing, BigTenPoliSci and an earlier poster!

Don't be scared of the interview just because I botched it a few years ago. You don't know much yet, and they don't expect you to. I think they care about if you have the right kind of curiosity. They'll train you in the skills after you get there.

This sounds almost identical to my experience. I got off the phone (also with Cindy Kam) and knew I had blown it. A couple of years later, and everything basically worked out as well as it could so its fun(ny) to look back on just how badly I screwed that one up. Comedy = Tragedy + Time.

My advice would be mostly similar to B1G's. The one thing I'd add is to spend some time thinking about that program and why you really want to be there. I am pretty sure I got dinged for not being convincing enough on that. I was told about their strong yields and managed not to take the hint that this was in part done by selecting on people who really want to be there.

This sounds almost identical to my experience. I got off the phone (also with Cindy Kam) and knew I had blown it. A couple of years later, and everything basically worked out as well as it could so its fun(ny) to look back on just how badly I screwed that one up. Comedy = Tragedy + Time.

My advice would be mostly similar to B1G's. The one thing I'd add is to spend some time thinking about that program and why you really want to be there. I am pretty sure I got dinged for not being convincing enough on that. I was told about their strong yields and managed not to take the hint that this was in part done by selecting on people who really want to be there.

It sucks to be out of green up-arrows when someone drops an awesome Crimes and Misdemeanors reference like that.

Congrats everyone! Would love to live in Cali, and those UC programs are great!

Ucsd today possibly?

What universities did you apply? I'm asking because seems like most folks out here are Americans. Seems like most of forum users overall applied to top-ranked schools. For instance, i've not heard anybody applied to cincinnatti...

What universities did you apply? I'm asking because seems like most folks out here are Americans. Seems like most of forum users overall applied to top-ranked schools. For instance, i've not heard anybody applied to cincinnatti...

A) I'm not American, but I did apply to only top-ranked program in my field. I did, however, also apply to programs in Europe, which I think I would prefer to a not-so great program in the US!

A) I'm not American, but I did apply to only top-ranked program in my field. I did, however, also apply to programs in Europe, which I think I would prefer to a not-so great program in the US!

I see you're German. I was thinking about applying in Europe, but didn't find anything to fit my research topic. Also I've noticed language requiremnts. Since I dunno anything but Russian and English - Europe is not my cup of tea...

Edited by MiroslavBass

Congrats, MIT and Duke people!

On second thought, MIT might be spam? "told them I could take a punch and count cards in my SOP." sounds suspicious, doesn't it?

Definitely a troll....

plus MIT has not emailed their applicants (at least for acceptances) 

Isn't it strange that all reported UCLA admits at least hold US degree? And only one international student reported on Berkeley... I understand that there is a huge bias on this forum towards Americans, but I'm still curious.

Isn't it strange that all reported UCLA admits at least hold US degree? And only one international student reported on Berkeley... I understand that there is a huge bias on this forum towards Americans, but I'm still curious.

UCLA and Berkeley both have trouble funding internationals, from what I understand. Not as severe as UCSD, but because they're state schools, it's more difficult. They might not have sent out notifications to internationals yet, as well?

I see you're German. I was thinking about applying in Europe, but didn't find anything to fit my research topic. Also I've noticed language requiremnts. Since I dunno anything but Russian and English - Europe is not my cup of tea...

Привет! What are your research interests if you don't mind me asking? 

Congrats, MIT and Duke people!

On second thought, MIT might be spam? "told them I could take a punch and count cards in my SOP." sounds suspicious, doesn't it?

I was just about to write that I respect a man (woman) who can write about punches and cards in their statement, and still get picked. I ended up cutting all my semi-jokes and non-related stuff from there. Just in case. 

Edited by jeudepaume