Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Received an e-mail this morning that I have been "wait-listed" at NYU. Those who have not heard responses may hear today. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! I suppose my chances are fairly bleak for NYU, but nevermind. I'll focus on my work instead!

I want Michigan to be next, but only if they accept me. Otherwise, I'd prefer it if they waited until Monday ;)

I almost hope I find out this week so that I can recover over the weekend and start the next week on a positive note.. three rejections in a row has not made for a great time. :(

I want Michigan to be next, but only if they accept me. Otherwise, I'd prefer it if they waited until Monday ;)

I'll be happy if they do it so I'm not just anxiously jumping every time Gmail flashes that there's a new email.

Though, I suggested to a friend last night (also applying to grad school in CS) that if she didn't want to get a rejection from MIT on her birthday (today), she could email the program and ask them to hold off a day :D

Any predictions on who will release decisions today or tomorrow? I'm going to guess MIT and Michigan. Maybe UCSD as well. 

I hope not. I applied to two of those. I've already had enough emotion for one week...

I finally want to get at least one acceptance, so I can be truly happy about my scholarship! UCSD seems most realistic at this point, I would say, they historically released acceptances on the first Th/Fr in February. Michigan might or might not.

I'm wondering if NYU informed all WL applicants, or just those they interviewed?

Oh and I've been traveling work for so away from this forum...just now getting caught up.

I got say, it always cracks me up to here foreigners that are applying to live in the US speaking trash about it. Don't get me wrong, I hate a lot of things about this country, but YOU clearly like our university system (and implicitly a lot of other things). I can criticize it better than most foreigners, I'm sure. But come on, you are applied to live here. Hope you all don't believe in karma. 

And don't say things like "american foreign policy is terrible" or whatever around a bunch of Americans that are studying to be political scientist. You are really asking for it. what is terrible? compared to what? during what time period? aren' there many that are worse? who is better? and so on and so on and so on. 

It is also important to note that immigration is the last pillar of globalization. financial flows and products pretty much flow freely, but people do not....yet. I imagine over the course of our careers it is an issue we will research at length (for IR peeps like me). 

I've just got my first rejection, from UCSD.

I don't feel that bad 'cause I guessed that would be the decision indeed, but those seconds from getting the email to actually reading the message were pretty intense!

I'm still shaking after some minutes now. 

I don't feel that bad 'cause I guessed that would be the decision indeed, but those seconds from getting the email to actually reading the message were pretty intense!

oh snap! UCSD is doing the rejection thing first again!!!! AAAAHHHH. Now I don't want to see an e-mail! 

Oh and sorry tinkerbell. I still believe in you. hang in there. 

Edited by mv0027

The rush of adrenaline is pretty intense!

Sorry to hear about the rejection, but hoping good things for you!

So sorry to hear! Was that the interdisciplinary or the disciplinary program?

oh snap! UCSD is doing the rejection thing first again!!!! AAAAHHHH. Now I don't want to see an e-mail! 

Oh and sorry tinkerbell. I still believe in you. hang in there. 

The rush of adrenaline is pretty intense!

Sorry to hear about the rejection, but hoping good things for you!

thanks guys! it's just the first one, fingers crossed for all of us!

I think we would all be better served if we would just cease this debate. It is truly an exercise in futility, as we obviously will not be able to change the obstinacy of both sides.

Finally, I do not think anyone truly likes the University system (or the systems of any other institutions), but rather that they need it to advance their career or causes. People are willing to make large sacrifices for what they need. Furthermore, something can be poor or awful, even while being comparatively good. That does not change its innate awfulness.

This group holds a wealth of experiences that are not furthered by denigration and condescension. As someone who is half African-American and half Caribbean-American (or as I like to call it, black with an extra side of black) I love all of you who are foreign, all of you who are U.S. citizens, and all of you in-between.  Let us all stop.

Thank you.

**Edit: Grammatical error.**

Coolio. I'll bow out, but sorry, this is the US and I do have pride. If were applying to a school in another country I would not say negative things on a forum based in the country. 

(1) This is stress speaking. We all are aware of our individual stress and can/ought to take steps to reduce it.

(2) It is okay to have opinions, and even to get offended. But it is extremely important to recognize when discussion and debate morphs into argument and attack.

Because I think we all know (1) and (2) very well, I don't think we have to worry about a fight occurring TMCB. That being said, some jokes would help. Preferably non-math jokes...