Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Definitely afraid of any email now, at least for today!

I got an email last night from some university inviting me to apply to their masters program. That moment when I logged into my email and saw a new email with "university" in the subject line was not good for my health.

Michigan should be early next week.

This is helpful, but I'll probably still be checking my phone all day tomorrow, regardless.  The thought of another weekend without having heard back from anywhere is kind of a bummer.  What else is likely next week?  By my count it looks like UT-Austin, Emory, Northwestern, and Stanford are all possibilities (and Michigan).  

I got an email last night from some university inviting me to apply to their masters program. That moment when I logged into my email and saw a new email with "university" in the subject line was not good for my health.

I get those every couple of days, but I get them to my personal email address (which I used to register for the GRE with) so I know that they aren't going to be acceptance emails. I applied to all my programs using a stand alone email address specifically for that purpose. 

I know! I actually got emails from American University and USCS (which turned out to be an Italian one) inviting me to apply too and those few seconds 'til I realized they were just publicity were the worst.

This is helpful, but I'll probably still be checking my phone all day tomorrow, regardless.  The thought of another weekend without having heard back from anywhere is kind of a bummer.  What else is likely next week?  By my count it looks like UT-Austin, Emory, Northwestern, and Stanford are all possibilities (and Michigan).  

A very authoritative voice told this forum a while ago there wasn't a chance on stanford til after the 13th.

pretty sure we were all too scared to question it. 

Had an Emory interview Tuesday and they promised news within a week.

A very authoritative voice told this forum a while ago there wasn't a chance on stanford til after the 13th.

pretty sure we were all too scared to question it. 

Yea, I saw that.  I couldn't remember what date it said.  Though that still puts next friday in the scope of the possible; assuming the veracity of that statement, of course.  Also of note: apparently trying to grade papers while also refreshing grad cafe every five minutes really drags out the process.  

Anyone here apply to UC-Santa Barbara? If so, any thoughts on when they might release results...? Historically it seems early to mid February is typical.

anyone who applied Rochester would like to tell me how to update the status?

I mean, when I log in, in the page 

"

Application Status for Steedyue
ASE Fall 2014 Political Science PhD

"

I see nothing.

no offer, no rejection, no update.

no way man another waitinglist?

WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH IT

Edited by steedyue

anyone who get rejection would like to tell me how to update the status?

I mean, when I log in, in the page 

"

Application Status for Steedyue

ASE Fall 2014 Political Science PhD

"

I see nothing.

no offer, no rejection, no update.

no way man another waitinglist?

WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH IT

I also have no updated status.

Edited by TorrentOfArdentPathos

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was unfortunately part of the recent Berkeley massacre (my top choice!). I applied to 7 PhD programs, and so far it has only been bad news. I'm starting to think my research interests are a little too out there.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have received acceptances (not to Berkeley necessary, but to any PhD program), did you contact any of your POIs in advance? Was your SOP very precise in laying out your research interests, or more general?

EDIT: I should add, hearty congrats to all Berkeley admits! Truly amazing program. Same with those of you who have been accepted to Cornell, really great department.

Edited by goingtogeorgia

Bumping this, got lost in the shuffle:

Anyone have any sense of when MIT might release its decisions? Also, do they really snail mail them? From looking at past results, it seems to be a mix of snail mail, email and phone calls. I think it's a little weird that depts don't have a firm policy on this...

Is anyone here familiar with the Penn State admissions process? Now that the people who received calls last week are receiving official letters by mail, I'm not sure whether to assume they're admitting first choices immediately and might admit others later, or to brace myself for a reject in a couple weeks?

My post has now been buried but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded here and who sent me PMs encouraging me not to lose hope or think poorly of myself during this process.  Just knowing other people relate to what I am going through is a huge comfort.

On that note, I too got the official Berkeley rejection e-mail today :(.

My post has now been buried but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded here and who sent me PMs encouraging me not to lose hope or think poorly of myself during this process.  Just knowing other people relate to what I am going through is a huge comfort.

On that note, I too got the official Berkeley rejection e-mail today :(.

It is still very early. Many people, like me, get no offer so far but we are going to fighting through this together.

Bumping this, got lost in the shuffle:

I'm not sure when MIT will release. From what I remember last year, they sent the acceptances by postal mail (I think, but cannot be sure, that some people also got calls/emails from POI - maybe the international students?) and sent the rejections by email. 

I was also part of the Berkeley massacre, as predicted. First I lose my hat and mittens and then this - today's been a rough day. I was much more surprised about the loss of winter accessories than the Berkeley decision. I wanted to thank everyone here for the awesome community - I definitely feel way more confident about a second cycle and wish I'd frequented this forum earlier in order to put forth a stronger application.

Well, Berkeley, my number 1 choice, may have rejected me in today's wave of rejections (as well as a presumed rejection from Cornell), but I am happy to claim a spot at UC Irvine with a 6 year financial package that will compete with any other financial offers I may receive elsewhere! It feels good to receive that news after a week of bad news!