Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

So Rene Descartes walks into a bar, and the bartender asks him: You wanna beer?

Take it from here!

Exactly, only mine was a cafe and more coffee.

For some reason, no one ever thinks it's as funny as I do!

the interdisciplinary one! I knew it was a long shot, but it was worth trying I guess. 

That explains why there havent been more notifications. I was thinking of applying there, but decided to go for political science instead...

I hope you get good news soon!

Edited by IRToni

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to not be ridiculed for it. You can hate something about a country but still like a lot of other things about it. If I criticize a country in Europe for it's racism, I'm no longer allowed to live there?

"And don't say things like "american foreign policy is terrible" or whatever around a bunch of Americans that are studying to be political scientist."

WTF does that even mean? A lot of political scientists are some of the biggest critics of U.S. foreign policy and think it's absolute shambles.

I wasn't even part of this debate but this post is childish and you come off as a huge prick.

Which ones? Certainly the biggest critics of US foreign policy are not pol sci profs. Chomsky, Scahill, Greenwall... 

Oh and I am totally both those things. 

Thank you TMCB, for your kind words (which have miraculously disappeared).

Anyhow: How do we know that the following fractions are in Europe? A/C, X/C and W/C ?  Answer: Because their numerators are all over "C's."

But seriously did you know that 10 out of every 9 people have a problem with fractions? It's a big deal.  ;)

I heard back from UCLA, this was their entire response (I asked if all of the acceptances had been sent out):

"Work in progress."

Not sure what to make of that..

I think it means, no, not all have been sent out. 

Which ones? Certainly the biggest critics of US foreign policy are not pol sci profs. Chomsky, Scahill, Greenwall... 

Oh and I am totally both those things. 

Advertisement in the New York Times 26 September 2002.

I don't wish to extend this argument/ discussion, but thought it was worth pointing out that many (American) political scientists have been outright critics of US foreign policy in the past. 

I heard back from UCLA, this was their entire response (I asked if all of the acceptances had been sent out):

"Work in progress."

WOW thanks for inquiring and sharing!

Also, I can't believe nobody followed up that Descartes joke with him shrugging and saying, "I drink, therefore I am."

Advertisement in the New York Times 26 September 2002.

I don't wish to extend this argument/ discussion, but thought it was worth pointing out that many (American) political scientists have been outright critics of US foreign policy in the past. 

That was 12 years ago. 

And obviously someone working on middle east comp issues will have lots to say. I would say that most pol sci folks understand that most foreign military operations are typically focused on commercial interests and that given the US's economic size and power it is to be expected that they destroy much of the world on a regular bases (and granted, that is terrible). But that isn't specific to the US, so yea, on a forum dedicated to a bunch of people that want to study this, I was hoping for a little more depth...

Sorry.  Was trying to get a model to converge.

When I was four years old, I watched my mother kill a spider with a teacosy. Years later, I realised it was not a spider---IT WAS MY UNCLE HAROLD.

Ever since, I can never set foot on a White Castle.

Congrats to the Iowa admits!

I can claim one, thanks! Seems like the notifications are not going out all at the same time, so I would caution anyone to jump to conclusions if you haven't received one yet.

I can claim one, thanks! Seems like the notifications are not going out all at the same time, so I would caution anyone to jump to conclusions if you haven't received one yet.

Congrats. Iowa is cool. 

LOL. +1. Cannot "up-vote."

This reminds me of when I was little and my brother and I would yell/fight only to hear our father yell "STOP IT, now" and get up to find a belt...boy would it get quiet.

I hope everyone knows that I was kidding! Everyone seemed so snippy I thought I'd make light of the broad charges being made.

"Work in progress."

That's actually encouraging, I think.

Yay, congrats.

I'm reading Ian Lustick's Trapped In the War on Terror. I think I'll write him a letter asking him to leave the country because he criticized U.S. foreign policy.

I still can't belive you actually tried to argue that a poster was foolish to ciriticise American foreign policy because he wants to study here. If he hurt your feelings, let me know and I'll send you a nice box of chocolates to make you feel better.

I haven't gone back to find the original quote. I could, I guess.

He/she didn't criticize american foreign policy though. He/she said something along the lines of Americans don't understand foreign policy or something similar. I agree that my generalization of their comment pushed the conversation into a different direction that is more complicated.

That book looks fine. Doesn't seem super worth reading to me because it is so obvious to me that US foreign policy is not about helping people, not even americans, just a few very powerful people. 

The war on terror has been an incredibly successful in helping american firms continue to develop technology that will help sustain the US's long-term geo-political position. Obviously, that isn't to say I support it. 

I thought we were gonna drop it. This is as much as a "not a prick" tone as I can strike.