Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Well, Berkeley, my number 1 choice, may have rejected me in today's wave of rejections (as well as a presumed rejection from Cornell), but I am happy to claim a spot at UC Irvine with a 6 year financial package that will compete with any other financial offers I may receive elsewhere! It feels good to receive that news after a week of bad news!

Congrats, EKL! That's great news re: Irvine.

Well, Berkeley, my number 1 choice, may have rejected me in today's wave of rejections (as well as a presumed rejection from Cornell), but I am happy to claim a spot at UC Irvine with a 6 year financial package that will compete with any other financial offers I may receive elsewhere! It feels good to receive that news after a week of bad news!

Congrats!

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was unfortunately part of the recent Berkeley massacre (my top choice!). I applied to 7 PhD programs, and so far it has only been bad news. I'm starting to think my research interests are a little too out there.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have received acceptances (not to Berkeley necessary, but to any PhD program), did you contact any of your POIs in advance? Was your SOP very precise in laying out your research interests, or more general?

EDIT: I should add, hearty congrats to all Berkeley admits! Truly amazing program. Same with those of you who have been accepted to Cornell, really great department.

Hi. I applied to 15 programs, and only got one acceptance till now. So don't worry. Let's wait and see! I have to say I HATE waiting.... I applied to Cornell, Duke, NYU, and U Chicago too, and there are just NOOO updated status for me! I guess they rejected me already..... I didn't contact my POIs in advance....too lazy... I wrote in my SOP that I am interested in authoritarian institutions, and I also gave them several "research questions/topics" I did or want to do. I don't know whether it is more general or specific to you. 

confirmed. Waiting-listed by Rochester also.

Would waiting-listed by NYU and Rochester make me the annual king of waiting-list?

LOL

I thought Rochester's waitlist email has a quite positive nuance to it. 

Rochester mentions funding, so I thought that was a rather positive sign, but hard to tell without any frame of reference.

How would you say the letters compare, NYU and Rochester? 

Edited by timeless90

I thought Rochester's waitlist email has a quite positive nuance to it. 

Rochester mentions funding, so I thought that was a rather positive sign, but hard to tell without any frame of reference.

How would you say the letters compare, NYU and Rochester? 

Of course, Rochester is much more positive. 

I have two friends admitted to Rochester but they are not likely to accept it for better fit in other programs. In this case, I would say the odds is on our side.

Of course, Rochester is much more positive. 

I have two friends admitted to Rochester but they are not likely to accept it for better fit in other programs. In this case, I would say the odds is on our side.

thanks ! good to hear. 

Good luck to both of us for the rest of the cycle~ 

If anyone can provide an answer. 

Someone posted UCSD rejection recently, labeling the program as Political Science and International Affairs. 

Is this different from the regular poli sci program? 

If anyone can provide an answer. 

Someone posted UCSD rejection recently, labeling the program as Political Science and International Affairs. 

Is this different from the regular poli sci program? 

it is the joint PhD program (PolSci Department and IR/PS).

If you want to get into the joint program, you must first be admitted by the PolSci Department.

it is the joint PhD program (PolSci Department and IR/PS).

If you want to get into the joint program, you must first be admitted by the PolSci Department.

I wonder if this means that the poli sci decisions are close to being pretty much done as well.

Congrats to everyone who received acceptances!

At this point I would just like to get an answer either way from ANY of the schools I applied to. I thought I'd be hearing from Temple by now as they had a really early application deadline, but nothing....

Also part of the carnage for Berkeley. I'd been mentally preparing myself for the rejection over the past couple of days already, but it was still a bit devastating to see it confirmed. :( 

Congrats to everyone who got good news today though!

As I wait impatiently for word from other schools, I'm making it my goal to ascend from 'decaf' status on this forum. Might as well accomplish something since, goodness knows, I'm not able to focus on my school work during this wait.

This process is turning my brain to mush, just in time for grad school.

Definitely call and ask for a timing update. And then tell the rest of us immediately what they say--thanks so much for taking one for the team like that. ;)

When you say Penn, you mean UPenn right?

Didn't hear from Cornell, my first rejection (assumed). Didn't think it would sting as much as it does. I think I can see all the problems with my applications. Bracing for the next 4 now.  :unsure:  

For me, nothing there.

after wait-listed by NYU now comes Rochester?

I would go buy some lottery.

If it could help relief your stress a little bit, I got accepted by both of those school, so there will be at least one opening in one of those schools.

Edited by gerasy

When you say Penn, you mean UPenn right?

Didn't hear from Cornell, my first rejection (assumed). Didn't think it would sting as much as it does. I think I can see all the problems with my applications. Bracing for the next 4 now.  :unsure:  

Penn is generally UPenn. 

I feel you o.j... I'm also working with a presumed Cornell rejection and I too am surprised at how this one stings. I feel like after two early acceptances I started to totally over qualify my candidacy. Now I'm expecting a lot of rejections too. But hoping that of the 8 schools remaining, I can sneak into 1 or 2 :)

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

As I wait impatiently for word from other schools, I'm making it my goal to ascend from 'decaf' status on this forum. Might as well accomplish something since, goodness knows, I'm not able to focus on my school work during this wait.

This process is turning my brain to mush, just in time for grad school.

This is my goal for this week, as well. It's a good way to pass the time while chomping at the bit.