2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Also, just so you guys know: I applied last year as a college senior (currently finishing up my undergrad research as a post-bac) and was basically obliterated in grad school applications. Swallowed my pride, applied again, re-wrote my essays, and now things seem to be looking up!

tl;dr waiting a year and re-grouping isn't the end of the world.

Anyone else extensively research backup plans? Haha. I have a short list of programs with late deadlines going.  :unsure:

I've been doing some digging on that myself, mostly research tech positions at my university.  What were you looking into?

I've been doing some digging on that myself, mostly research tech positions at my university.  What were you looking into?

I'm thinking about adding RPI Chem/Biochem and UAlbany Nanoscale Science with a focus in molecular structures. RPI gave me a fee waiver. I'm from the area so it would be convenient. My boyfriend still has hopes for Yale so I'm also looking at jobs in the New Haven area.

I'm thinking about adding RPI Chem/Biochem and UAlbany Nanoscale Science with a focus in molecular structures. RPI gave me a fee waiver. I'm from the area so it would be convenient. My boyfriend still has hopes for Yale so I'm also looking at jobs in the New Haven area.

Cool!  When you're looking for jobs, do you specifically look for research tech positions or something else?

Cool!  When you're looking for jobs, do you specifically look for research tech positions or something else?

I've been googling like "science jobs in _____" to look for pharm companies. I also look at schools in the area. I would definitely need a job that could get me a good LOR and more experience to help for next year.

I've been googling like "science jobs in _____" to look for pharm companies. I also look at schools in the area. I would definitely need a job that could get me a good LOR and more experience to help for next year.

Gotcha.  Are you going to try for a job that lasts the entire year, or 2 or 3 to get more LORs?

I see a lot of Michigan rejections on here and I still haven't gotten anything from them. At this point I know I've been rejected so I just want them to send me the email and put me out of my misery. 

Anyone else extensively research backup plans? Haha. I have a short list of programs with late deadlines going.  :unsure:

I'm currently on my backup plan. I applied two years ago and got rejected so I decided to take some time off and work as a lab tech. However, since you got an interview i'm sure you'll be fine! 

Gotcha.  Are you going to try for a job that lasts the entire year, or 2 or 3 to get more LORs?

Probably just a year. I have 2 strong LORs (PI from my school and a PI from my REU) and one that may be so-so (I was in her class and I TAed for her) so I really only need one more. I also don't really want to delay my PhD too long.

I am so worried about back-up plans. I am an international student and I can't go back home to work because we do not have positions that would help me to strengthen by experience. I am guessing that the back-up options would be: apply to schools with later deadlines and jobs/research positions? Anyone aware of anything else? :o

EDIT: Just got my rejection form Berkeley. Email told me to login to check status of my application. :unsure:

Edited by sayitaintso

For the type of job that will net you the research experience/LORs you're looking for, I've found that employers are wary of people who are planning on a short stay. Interviewing at the University where I work now, I had to commit to a two year term to be taken seriously as a Research Assistant candidate. It kind of makes sense; for a postdoc/research scientist to train you for up to six months, they don't want to have you turn around and leave within the year - not a great return on their investment. For me, though, the two year stay has definitely been worth it in terms of preparation for grad school.

I am so worried about back-up plans. I am an international student and I can't go back home to work because we do not have positions that would help me to strengthen by experience. I am guessing that the back-up options would be: apply to schools with later deadlines and jobs/research positions? Anyone aware of anything else? :o

EDIT: Just got my rejection form Berkeley. Email told me to login to check status of my application. :unsure:

Just got my official rejection too. At least we have closure?

For the type of job that will net you the research experience/LORs you're looking for, I've found that employers are wary of people who are planning on a short stay. Interviewing at the University where I work now, I had to commit to a two year term to be taken seriously as a Research Assistant candidate. It kind of makes sense; for a postdoc/research scientist to train you for up to six months, they don't want to have you turn around and leave within the year - not a great return on their investment. For me, though, the two year stay has definitely been worth it in terms of preparation for grad school.

Two years could work out well for me if I wind up following my boyfriend and he's in a two year masters program. I guess it would depend on whether I could land an RA job or a lab tech job for a pharm company. I think any experience will help me, I feel like my biggest weakness was my SOP or that one LOR.

And so goes the flurry of Berkeley rejects....at least we are officially resting in peace now.

Not sure what field you guys are in exactly but if it's biomedical, you should also consider hospitals in your respective areas.

And so goes the flurry of Berkeley rejects....at least we are officially resting in peace now.

Not sure what field you guys are in exactly but if it's biomedical, you should also consider hospitals in your respective areas.

Thanks for the advice! Sorry to everyone on the rejections :( Next week is another week... thank god I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I'll have a distraction finally!

MIT here too! Hooray! Is anyone else going to the third interview weekend? I have conflicts for the others...

Still haven't heard from Berkeley Biophysics or Stanford Genetics (or Harvard Biophysics, but they don't interview). C'mon, California! You're killing me!