NSF GRFP 2013-14

guttata

Here's a suggestion, take it or leave it.  I think everyone has probably heard of the gigantic trash islands floating in the middle of the oceans.  I've seen some fairly horrific documentaries of aquatic animals and birds killed by the plastic.

Anyone have any preliminary ideas for an economically feasible/attractive method of solving, or at the very least alleviating this issue?

Solved!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROW9F-c0kIQ

FYI: For those imbibing to make the time go faster/make the evening more exciting, I'd suggest keeping your alcohol intake in check. I had a particularly bad experience last year by going over my limit and NOT receiving an award, resulting in a rather terrible physical (and emotional!) hangover the next day... 

FYI: For those imbibing to make the time go faster/make the evening more exciting, I'd suggest keeping your alcohol intake in check. I had a particularly bad experience last year by going over my limit and NOT receiving an award, resulting in a rather terrible physical (and emotional!) hangover the next day... 

I wish I was imbibing... In fact, Power Hour for the last hour of downtime sounds like an awesome idea! Alas, I'm working on an hour-ish long presentation I have to give at my group meeting on Thursday.

Solved!

This is great to see people think about these issues as opportunities. As a marine ecologist, I feel that this outlook is so important in inspiring meaningful change within industry and society. It is clear that the scientific community has spoken, but getting industry and society on board with the idea of maintaining a healthy environment for its success is the true key to success. These types of discussions are exactly why I love doing what I do :)

Whoa, just managed to load the demo page. Thought people talking about it were BSing but apparently not. To those who can't get it it just lets you see what the Fellows page looks like but doesn't offer any new information.

I could be working on a problem set which is due on Wednesday but I wouln't be able to focus anyway so I have resigned to playing some video games to be just as unproductive as I would be if I actually tried to do work, but being slighty less stressed!

Anyone else going through an incredible amount of self loathing right now? I feel dumb for even getting my hopes up...

I feel the same way, I am pretty sure I have very little chance of getting the award. I just really would like some good reviews on my research proposal but every hour I keep getting my hopes up. 

Whoa, just managed to load the demo page. Thought people talking about it were BSing but apparently not. To those who can't get it it just lets you see what the Fellows page looks like but doesn't offer any new information.

For those curious who feel left out: https://www.fldemo.nsf.gov/grfp/Login.do

Check out the officials one too.

I feel the same way, I am pretty sure I have very little chance of getting the award. I just really would like some good reviews on my research proposal but every hour I keep getting my hopes up. 

Yep- I know for certain that I'm going to be rejected because there was a very heinous error in the logic of my proposal. I really, honestly just need the closure so I can move on in my career at this point

I don't know if that was their intention-- probably just an artifact of the web design. But still really interesting, and you can check out the officials' version of the site too!

Hi there, I'm just joining in the conversation but I'm thinking of applying to this fellowship for next year. I heard rumors that they are cutting funding for the social sciences NSF, is it true? I'm hoping to go into a PhD or a masters so just trying to figure out my chances of getting it :) Also, would you suggest applying for it when I'm in my masters or when I'm applying for the PhD program? 

Hi there, I'm just joining in the conversation but I'm thinking of applying to this fellowship for next year. I heard rumors that they are cutting funding for the social sciences NSF, is it true? I'm hoping to go into a PhD or a masters so just trying to figure out my chances of getting it :) Also, would you suggest applying for it when I'm in my masters or when I'm applying for the PhD program? 

You can only apply for the GRFP with less than one year of graduate study. Currently, there is a plan going through that would allow congress to allocate NSF funding instead of the NSF. As it stands, SBE would get a major cut. I'm not sure how this would affect the GRFP.

So in the demo profile, you can change your name pretty much to anything. When you fchange your name does it change it on the awardees page as well?