PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...

sacklunch

FYI- I accepted BC's offer, so hopefully there will be some movement on the wait lists at Marquette, Fordham and Loyola.  Good luck!

(And maybe now we can solve the mystery of everyone being #1 on Loyola's wait list!)

FYI- I accepted BC's offer, so hopefully there will be some movement on the wait lists at Marquette, Fordham and Loyola.  Good luck!

(And maybe now we can solve the mystery of everyone being #1 on Loyola's wait list!)

Congratulations and best wishes at BC! 

Seems to be lots of good news around here. Good luck to all.

Just an update ... I received my formal offer from PTS and have been accepted to the History and Ecumenics area of study. I applied for Theology, Systematics. I think I always had it in my head that I was a "systematics" girl but the History/Ecumenics field makes A LOT more sense for my interests, particularly their "Mission, Ecumenics and History of Religions" track. Also a friend who is a former PTS student had recommended applying through ethics because there is less competition (at least at PTS), and said that once you get in, the official "field of study" is virtually meaningless anyway. This might be something to keep in mind for those considering applying in future years. I don't know if it holds for all schools, but if you have a highly popular field of study, perhaps think about if you could "sell" your application to a related, but less competitive field. :) 

Just an update ... I received my formal offer from PTS and have been accepted to the History and Ecumenics area of study. I applied for Theology, Systematics. I think I always had it in my head that I was a "systematics" girl but the History/Ecumenics field makes A LOT more sense for my interests, particularly their "Mission, Ecumenics and History of Religions" track. Also a friend who is a former PTS student had recommended applying through ethics because there is less competition (at least at PTS), and said that once you get in, the official "field of study" is virtually meaningless anyway. This might be something to keep in mind for those considering applying in future years. I don't know if it holds for all schools, but if you have a highly popular field of study, perhaps think about if you could "sell" your application to a related, but less competitive field. :)

So how did they switch you over to the other field, even though you applied to Theology? I would assume that if one is trying to go into Biblical Studies (OT) like I am, I'm not sure what type of "less competitive field" I could attempt to apply to that has any overlap (except for, say, Theology - which is, of course, a competitive field as well).

So how did they switch you over to the other field, even though you applied to Theology? I would assume that if one is trying to go into Biblical Studies (OT) like I am, I'm not sure what type of "less competitive field" I could attempt to apply to that has any overlap (except for, say, Theology - which is, of course, a competitive field as well).

They just did - I'm not sure how, or if they do that at other schools. I applied to systematic theology, was told I was waitlisted, and then when I opened the official offer it said I was admitted to a PhD in the area of History and Ecumenics. I guess it sort of depends on your specific interests. For example, my interests kind of overlap between systematic theology, ethics, history/sociology of religions, etc so I could conceivable pursue them in any of those subfields. Some projects though, I'm sure, fit more exclusively into one subfield. I also think that because PTS is a seminary and not a religious studies department, there might more "movement/fluidity" between/across subfields because "ethics" there are "Christian ethics" and history is "Church History", ya know?      

I guess it would also depend on the school and how competitive that field is for that particular school. E.g., PTS is more well known for systematics than, for e.g. history/ethics, whereas another school might be more well known for ethics and less for systematics.

I'm not suggesting this as an overall tactic, but just something to keep in mind and explore when looking at various schools/programs. It would probably also be useful to talk to current students at the schools to see if something like this might be a good idea.

I guess it also depends what type of biblical studies you're doing ... if you take a more historical-critical, or sociological approach, there might be some overlap with history/antiquity, but if it is more exegetical/theological, maybe more overlap with theological subfields. I definitely don't know enough about bib studies to really say though. 

I don't think that there's many folks still waiting on Harvard decisions, but I just logged into my account on a fluke and had my rejection letter waiting for me.  Que sera sera.

Still waiting on two wait lists here, looks like I won't know where I'm gonna end up for another month or so. Little did I know this fall that the process would drag on into April... 

Someone claimed a Du/Iliff acceptance; probably means I got rejected there after a solid interview.  I'm most likely committing to UCLA on Thursday during orientation.  Unbelievable that the most difficult and least likely program to get into is the one that throws me a funded offer.  

Finally some closure! In at Emory! My number one choice!

Emory over Oxford? Is it because of US vs UK or funding or something else? I'm a dodo head (who hasn't started his masters yet) because I see the name Oxford and go WOW. (Also in my field, Islamic studies, I think Oxford is top notch.)

Again, I realize I'm being a dodo head by just seeing the big name and nothing else...So just curious is all.

Edited by Averroes MD

Emory over Oxford? Is it because of US vs UK or funding or something else? I'm a dodo head (who hasn't started his masters yet) because I see the name Oxford and go WOW. (Also in my field, Islamic studies, I think Oxford is top notch.)

Again, I realize I'm being a dodo head by just seeing the big name and nothing else...So just curious is all.

A number of reasons actually. First, I am currently completing an MA at Oxford (second overall MA) and have gotten a chance to see the downsides to living in the UK. Second, the DPhil is only three years and allows for little-to-no time for actually gaining teaching experience, taking graduate seminars, and having extensive contact with supervisors. A traditional PhD in the U.S. allows for two years of coursework and the ability to teach your own courses after qualifying exams. Finally, it is indeed the money. Oxford is strapped for cash when it comes to the humanities. A good U.S. program will cover all tuition and give a sizeable stipend to boot. For me, there is little comparison between the two. Although I will admit that when I was younger I would have been attracted to Oxford for the name, there is far more important criteria, such as funding, support, etc., in getting a PhD in Religion than just a name.

Edited by therealhogwarts

A number of reasons actually. First, I am currently completing an MA at Oxford (second overall MA) and have gotten a chance to see the downsides to living in the UK. Second, the DPhil is only three years and allows for little-to-no time for actually gaining teaching experience, taking graduate seminars, and having extensive contact with supervisors. A traditional PhD in the U.S. allows for two years of coursework and the ability to teach your own courses after qualifying exams. Finally, it is indeed the money. Oxford is strapped for cash when it comes to the humanities. A good U.S. program will cover all tuition and give a sizeable stipend to boot. For me, there is little comparison between the two. Although I will admit that when I was younger I would have been attracted to Oxford for the name, there is far more important criteria, such as funding, support, etc., in getting a PhD in Religion than just a name.

I think you're making the right choice. As has been said in the past on this board, US institutions care a lot about official competencies when they're looking for faculty to hire. Coursework and exams allow you to do that in a way that the US schools all recognize. The other way to establish those is to publish, but most people who are trying to write a dissertation don't have a whole lot of time to publish broadly in their field let alone in areas that would constitute a subfield (which, IMO, is important to do.) The dissertation is on such a narrow slice of the broader field that it's not always a clear indication that one is competent in the broader field (which sounds crazy, but read a book published from a dissertation and you'll see what I mean.) You're probably going to have an easier time getting a job with a degree from Emory rather than Oxford (though by no means an easy time!)

Cool. Makes sense.

I think I have a big name fetish because I ended up picking up a cheaper, closer school during undergrad instead of MIT (engineering major at that time). Still regret it as I have learned that pedigree does matter even though I still went to an awesome school which I enjoyed thoroughly. Anyways, it seems that Emory will be better for you in religious studies so congrats!

Strangely enough (to an outsider), having a doctorate from Emory, as an American, will set you up better than one from Oxford. It is extremely rare to get funding at Oxford, along with its relatively high acceptance rate (I have never known an American to be denied from Oxford...we are cash cows), make their degrees 'questionable', or so I've heard. Unless you're European, I've been told, stay away.