Fall 2014 Sociology Interviews and/or Acceptances

Maleficent999

Zhicao-- was your Johns Hopkins acceptance personalized and was it from your POI or was it a more generic email?

I wonder this too. I just called them and they were being.... interesting. Like the lady on the phone would insist that they haven't gotten back to anybody. I couldn't be like "I know you aren't being entirely truthful cause I know someone got in from Grad Cafe" so I said thank you and hung up lol. *Sigh*.

I wonder this too. I just called them and they were being.... interesting. Like the lady on the phone would insist that they haven't gotten back to anybody. I couldn't be like "I know you aren't being entirely truthful cause I know someone got in from Grad Cafe" so I said thank you and hung up lol. *Sigh*.

Did they happen to tell you when they would send out other information then?

I'm jealous of these private school funding packages with very little in the way of teaching obligations. I wonder how that might hinder one's placement at teaching colleges though. That said, I did turn down 3 years of funding with no teaching obligations for a 5 year guarantee. 

I'm jealous of these private school funding packages with very little in the way of teaching obligations. I wonder how that might hinder one's placement at teaching colleges though. That said, I did turn down 3 years of funding with no teaching obligations for a 5 year guarantee.

I really wanted a TA-ship. I even said that specifically in my SOP. I talked to several of my undergrad mentors and I decided that the experience would be well worth the extra time constraints. I think it just depends on the person though. I want to be a teacher just as much as I want to contribute to the field on a research level so getting both experiences was important to me. I didn't want to leave grad school without knowing how to wrangle undergrads.

I really wanted a TA-ship. I even said that specifically in my SOP. I talked to several of my undergrad mentors and I decided that the experience would be well worth the extra time constraints. I think it just depends on the person though. I want to be a teacher just as much as I want to contribute to the field on a research level so getting both experiences was important to me. I didn't want to leave grad school without knowing how to wrangle undergrads.

I agree, I just feel like students with only minor teaching obligations have a distinct advantage when it comes to productivity as a researcher, which is probably the single most important component in terms of job placement. That said, as I alluded to earlier, having a deficit in teaching experience can limit one's ability to get jobs at teaching colleges. 

Just a quick question, what time of the day do emails generally come out? Is there a trend? I ask because, as an international student, my timezone is pretty out of whack and it might drive me a bit less crazy if I can narrow it down and relax for part of the day...

1) Does anyone know if NYU is still circulating acceptances? I see that only a couple went out on thursday/friday. Should I start crying now? 

2) What about Columbia--what's going on there? Only one acceptance from a couple of weeks ago... hm, doesn't seem right. Anyone with more info regarding Columbia decisions?

3) Can anyone offer more information regarding MAPPS process. Was I supposed to submit an additional application; would it make sense to give them a call if I am interested to see if my application was considered.... dumb question, i guess. 

4) Finally, I know that Columbia offers terminal MAs. Does anyone have an understanding of how that process might work, particularly for those who applied for PhD. Are those not offered PhD placement considered for the MA?

I guess that's all. Thanks a lot y'all--you're all amazing and good luck :**** 

Just a quick question, what time of the day do emails generally come out? Is there a trend? I ask because, as an international student, my timezone is pretty out of whack and it might drive me a bit less crazy if I can narrow it down and relax for part of the day...

Carlu, it really depends on the school. I live on Guam and the e-mails tend to come in around after Midnight. It also depends on what time zone your schools are located at. Schools from the east coast usually come in around after midnight which is around 9 AM there if I'm not mistaken. I know that NZ is a couple hours ahead of Guam. Hope this helps!

Hi everyone, I was reluctant to post this b/c I'm very hesitant to post stuff online, but I can claim the Columbia admit. If I could guess based upon the call and that there have been no other admits on the board there will be more admissions coming, but obviously I don't know for sure. Sorry I don't want to share any more of my stats than I've already shared. Good luck!

Here is the quote from the Columbia admit to answer question #2!

My notifications came at 7:02 AM, 1:37 PM, and 5:47 PM Eastern Standard Time!  Only one of those notifications were during "normal" US business hours, so it's really tough to tell, sadly =( 

Zhicao-- was your Johns Hopkins acceptance personalized and was it from your POI or was it a more generic email?

It is a very personalized offer. And perhaps the lady in the phone means "we are yet to send out any official letter" because what I received were emails and unofficial letter of acceptance from professor and chair in the department. Official letters would be out in a few days I guess. 

The bulk of my notices have come in the later afternoon pacific time, but I also got a notice on Sunday night and one at 8am Sunday morning so it's really hard to tell.

3) Can anyone offer more information regarding MAPPS process. Was I supposed to submit an additional application; would it make sense to give them a call if I am interested to see if my application was considered.... dumb question, i guess. 

If you applied for the sociology PhD, Chicago will consider you for the MAPSS as well without submitting a separate application. Last year they seemed to send out some rejections mid-Feb, then more rejections in March that included acceptances into MAPSS. This year they haven't sent any offical rejections yet, so it seems like maybe they'll just send out all their PhD rejections all of once (or at least not far apart in time since it's already the 24th) along with whether they accepted you into MAPSS. Acceptance into MAPSS includes varying degrees of tuition wavers: 1/2 tuition, 1/3 tuition, full-tuition, or no funding (from what I've seen from gradcafe).