2014 SLP Admissions Thread

@pitt123 what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I was looking at the results page from last year and it seemed that people that were waitlisted/rejected found out about a week later than everyone who was accepted so fingers crossed that we get some good news! keep me updated :)

GPA: 3.5 (double major)  CSD: 3.9  last 60 credits: 3.8  but I really struggled with the GRE :unsure:

I was able to get great research experience and was involved in three studies.  Including one at Walter Reed which required me to analyze laryngeal aero dynamics. I currently work as an Assistant Speech Therapist in PA.  I'm hoping the latter compensates for the rough GRE (fingers crossed).

I just got my first acceptance letter! It was for University of Tennessee. However, I honestly do not know too much about the program besides what I have researched on their website, and I am touring the campus  this month. Has anyone ever heard any thing from others about the program? Pros? Cons? 

Applying to: CSUF, CSULB, PSU, TWU, Vanderbilt, UT Knoxville, Pacific, SFSU

Accepted: UT Knoxville

Interviewed: CSULB, Pacific, SFSU

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

Hey Windsey,

I just got accepted to Tennessee as well. I don't know much about the program beyond what I found on the website so if anyone else has any words of wisdom, I would really appreciate it. I will also be going on a visit during my spring break in a few weeks. Congrats to everyone getting good news!

I KNOW! I was so excited, I was literally counting the days on my calendar. But March 1st has come and gone and I haven't heard from anyone...*sighs*

Personally, I think it would be pretty weird for a lot of schools to notify on a Saturday.  I bet we'll be seeing a ton of decisions this week though!!

Personally, I think it would be pretty weird for a lot of schools to notify on a Saturday.  I bet we'll be seeing a ton of decisions this week though!!

I thought the same, but that was the date FSU had originally given so I thought it might be something schools do.

I just heard from Purdue saying that I was denied. Spent $160 for a rejection email. Seems impossible to get in. Never applying there again. They take your money and run!! :( 

I just heard from Purdue saying that I was denied. Spent $160 for a rejection email. Seems impossible to get in. Never applying there again. They take your money and run!! :(

I get that you're disappointed, but I feel it's a bit inappropriate to say, "they take your money and run."  Schools are competitive to get into - that's just the nature of the game.  Try to stay positive.  Hopefully you'll get some good news soon!

Edited by sayjo

I KNOW! I was so excited, I was literally counting the days on my calendar. But March 1st has come and gone and I haven't heard from anyone...*sighs*

Haha, I was unreasonably hopeful when I checked the mail yesterday. 

I get that you're disappointed, but I feel it's a bit inappropriate to say, "they take your money and run."  Schools are competitive to get into - that's just the nature of the game.  Try to stay positive.  Hopefully you'll get some good news soon!

I guess you are right. I was just really sad. But thanks! I'm really crossing my fingers for my other schools!!! And I will be praying to the Grad School Gods as I like to call them! 

Hey Windsey,

I just got accepted to Tennessee as well. I don't know much about the program beyond what I found on the website so if anyone else has any words of wisdom, I would really appreciate it. I will also be going on a visit during my spring break in a few weeks. Congrats to everyone getting good news!

I got accepted into Tennessee's audiology program - I visited the campus and department last semester. It was worth the trip! My advice for you is to contact Pamela Williams (secretary) and she will help you set up a tour/meet with some faculty. This only really applies if you are visiting on a random day vs. the open house dates they included in the e-mail with acceptance.

Either way, go visit! It's a neat place and the programs rock. I loved it.

On days like today, I'm thankful for Lost. It distracts me from all of this craziness and blows my mind every single episode. Any other Lost addicts? I'm working my way through it for the first time, just started season 5! 

On days like today, I'm thankful for Lost. It distracts me from all of this craziness and blows my mind every single episode. Any other Lost addicts? I'm working my way through it for the first time, just started season 5! 

I'm a little bit ashamed to admit that I watched the entire series in a little over a month last year... :unsure:

I'm a little bit ashamed to admit that I watched the entire series in a little over a month last year... :unsure:

It's just so mind boggling! I've watched like six episodes today alone when I have a test that I need to be studying for this week. JJ Abrams, you are the king of distracting me!

I thought most schools started letting applicants know around March 15.  I am not expected to hear much until then.  I don't know though, I am really thinking UTD will be the place for me.  It will take a lot to convince me otherwise.  And I was so set on Chapel Hill or Vandy last fall....  Things change. And things still could!  Congrats to everyone who got acceptances this week!

It's just so mind boggling! I've watched like six episodes today alone when I have a test that I need to be studying for this week. JJ Abrams, you are the king of distracting me!

I was just thinking about rewatching Lost to help the time pass. I watched faithfully as it came out (a completely different experience when it takes years to watch!) and rewatched it once already. Love it!

Do committees work over spring break? I'm not sure how many decisions I expect the grad school committees to make when classes are not in session. Do they get extra work done or go on vacation?

Sorry about Purdue.  Have you heard from either of the other Indiana schools?  My visit to Ball State was a little odd.  She basically said they don't care about SoP or Letters of Rec as long as they aren't bad they just pick they highest GREs and GPAs. Didn't really seem like they care to put any time into choosing applicants but I suppose every school is different.  I LOVED IU when I visited but I'm on the wait-list.

What a wonderful day! My classes were cancelled today because of a snow storm, and I just got a call notifying me of being accepted to MGHI! I hope everyone has an equally great Monday. :)

Congratulations! Great news!

What a wonderful day! My classes were cancelled today because of a snow storm, and I just got a call notifying me of being accepted to MGHI! I hope everyone has an equally great Monday. :)

Congrats KBell!!! What a great snow-day surprise!

I thought most schools started letting applicants know around March 15.  I am not expected to hear much until then.  I don't know though, I am really thinking UTD will be the place for me.  It will take a lot to convince me otherwise.  And I was so set on Chapel Hill or Vandy last fall....  Things change. And things still could!  Congrats to everyone who got acceptances this week!

Hey! May I ask how you found put about U Georgia and when?