2014 SLP Admissions Thread

Hello all! For everyone accepted by and planning to attend (or who are still undecided) the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's SLP master's program, I have created a facebook page for our class. I am a 3 year student, so I have already been here for almost 2 semesters and I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the town or program! Search for the facebook group:  University of Illinois SLP-MA Class of 2016!! Looking forward to meeting all of you!

I've been following this thread as well as the results search page and it's torturous because I haven't been accepted anywhere...just waitlisted and rejected and it's hard to watch people get accepted haha Anyways, enough b****ing and moaning, positive thoughts! Anyone have any suggestions for being on waitlists or what to do if I (hopefully not) don't get in anywhere? I'm at a loss for ideas and such to possibly get off of the waitlist. I'm also waiting to hear from Northwestern...any news on whether they send out acceptances before rejections/waitlists? I noticed people have been accepted already.

Aww thank you!! That means a lot to me! I was talking to my friends about it and she pointed out that "deferred" does sound like "the third." Which is kind of funny, but not funny at the same time! I'm not sure what deferred even means. Is it like a wait-list?

I'm not sure but maybe they'll re-evaluate at a later time? Hang in there everyone! I'm thinking a lot of space will free up on waitlists after the April 15 deadline

I heard back from my final school! It is such a relief to know that the waiting game is finally over!! Once I get funding info from IU, I really think I'll be able to start making the big decision. Right now I'm still so unsure about where I want to go. My dream location, dream price tag, and dream program do not at all match up!

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from schools!!

Good luck with a decision!  I'm really surprised IU hasn't told anyone about funding yet.  Do you think they wait to see if anyone declines the offer of admission?  I have read somewhere on the forums that for some schools once they offer funding if a person declines the offer they can't pass on that funding to another student.

I hope a good pros and cons list leads you to the right school!! 

Hey everyone,

I posted earlier that I made a facebook group for people admitted to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Soon after I discovered that someone else had made a group just a few hours before me! So if you have been accepted to UIUC (whether you are undecided or are already planning to attend), please join the group that they made!!

www.facebook.com/groups/256880691152813

I've been following this thread as well as the results search page and it's torturous because I haven't been accepted anywhere...just waitlisted and rejected and it's hard to watch people get accepted haha Anyways, enough b****ing and moaning, positive thoughts! Anyone have any suggestions for being on waitlists or what to do if I (hopefully not) don't get in anywhere? I'm at a loss for ideas and such to possibly get off of the waitlist. I'm also waiting to hear from Northwestern...any news on whether they send out acceptances before rejections/waitlists? I noticed people have been accepted already.

Hi! I saw that you were waitlisted at UIUC. I am a 3 year student here so I've been here for almost 2 semesters. I just thought I'd let you know that last year, they had way more people than they expected accept a spot in the program and ended up with an MA-1 class that was too big (and very hard for them to accommodate clinically). So this year they were MUCH more conservative with their acceptances. I believe the program coordinator said they would send out more acceptances or pull people from the waiting list when they had a better idea of how many people would accept a spot. Anyway, I'm telling you all of this to say don't give up hope! They sent out way fewer acceptances so they may be pulling more people from the waitlist (just my guess). Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Hi! I saw that you were waitlisted at UIUC. I am a 3 year student here so I've been here for almost 2 semesters. I just thought I'd let you know that last year, they had way more people than they expected accept a spot in the program and ended up with an MA-1 class that was too big (and very hard for them to accommodate clinically). So this year they were MUCH more conservative with their acceptances. I believe the program coordinator said they would send out more acceptances or pull people from the waiting list when they had a better idea of how many people would accept a spot. Anyway, I'm telling you all of this to say don't give up hope! They sent out way fewer acceptances so they may be pulling more people from the waitlist (just my guess). Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Thanks for this!! Miami University did the same thing last year and accepted double the amount, banking on over half declining and had a lot less people decline than they had thought/hoped and, like you said, had difficulties accommodating them clinically. It's interesting because when someones says, "We accepted 35 when we wanted 25" it's easy to think "oh boo hoo..." but then you multiply that number by the 375 hours everyone needs and it's an astronomical number of hours they have to dig up for people. Anyways, thank you for this info! 

University of Florida sent out acceptances today! Congrats to everyone who got acceptances!  Happy for you guys!

I grew up in Gainesville and went to UF for undergrad! Congrats on your acceptance :) Let me know if you have any questions about the school or city- I'd be happy to give pointers!

Thanks for this!! Miami University did the same thing last year and accepted double the amount, banking on over half declining and had a lot less people decline than they had thought/hoped and, like you said, had difficulties accommodating them clinically. It's interesting because when someones says, "We accepted 35 when we wanted 25" it's easy to think "oh boo hoo..." but then you multiply that number by the 375 hours everyone needs and it's an astronomical number of hours they have to dig up for people. Anyways, thank you for this info! 

No problem! Good luck, I hope you get pulled off the waitlist for UIUC- it's a great school!

CaitlinAudrey,

Do you think that the amount of students in the 2015 class will affect placements for the class of 2016?  It's worrying to me that if I choose to go to UIUC, they might also have trouble placing me since there will be so many 2nd years.

Thanks!

Oh my word. I just got an acceptance e-mail from the graduate school of Abilene Christian University. this doesn't feel real. I'm nervous it's not. WOW! AN ACCEPTANCE. I could be going to grad school this fall. This is insane. I am smiling ear to ear and trying to act normal at work.

WOW!!!! God is GOOD!

Oh my word. I just got an acceptance e-mail from the graduate school of Abilene Christian University. this doesn't feel real. I'm nervous it's not. WOW! AN ACCEPTANCE. I could be going to grad school this fall. This is insane. I am smiling ear to ear and trying to act normal at work.

WOW!!!! God is GOOD!

Congratulations!!

Thank you!! This is my second year applying, I am so filled with JOY right now! AH! 

CONGRATS!!!! The first acceptance is the best- knowing that you made it and you'll actually be going to grad school. You're gonna be an SLP!!!  :D

CONGRATS!!!! The first acceptance is the best- knowing that you made it and you'll actually be going to grad school. You're gonna be an SLP!!!  :D

Thank you!!! I could cry! I am .. almost!!! HAHA! Yes, I am going to be an SLP. Dreams come true!! Congratulations to you too :) It is a wonderful feeling.

I just received a call from Monmouth University. I've FINALLY been ACCEPTED!  I have a phone interview with another school in about fifteen minutes and I'm crying my eyes out. I hope you ALL get to experience this feeling if you haven't already. Never lose hope!

I just received a call from Monmouth University. I've FINALLY been ACCEPTED!  I have a phone interview with another school in about fifteen minutes and I'm crying my eyes out. I hope you ALL get to experience this feeling if you haven't already. Never lose hope!

That's fantastic! Congrats to you!!

Congratulations!!! I Know the feeling :) Just happened for me too! AH!

Just got notified of scholarship for Rush! Bit of a curveball, since my gut is telling me BU...

:( The universe is not keen on making my decision easy.

Did you apply for a scholarship at rush? I've been wondering how they disperse their funding. I was accepted too and a scholarship would really help out with that hefty tuition pricetag.

I just received a call from Monmouth University. I've FINALLY been ACCEPTED! I have a phone interview with another school in about fifteen minutes and I'm crying my eyes out. I hope you ALL get to experience this feeling if you haven't already. Never lose hope!

Yayyy! Congrats, Arg!!! I'm sooooo happy for you! (FYI-I'm loving the green in your signature :-) )

Edited by PsycD