2014 SLP Admissions Thread

This is my 2nd year applying. I have a undergrad GPA of 3.45, Major GPA 3.51 last 60 hours with a higher GPA (maybe around 3.7), a graduate GPA of 4.0 (in 3 classes), currently obtaining my Autism Certificate which consists of all graduate level classes (some of the classes are SLP classes) which will be completed this summer, have 2 semesters worth of experience in a lab, volunteer and observatory hours in an autism and speech clinic for 2 semesters, average GRE scores. GREAT LOR's from speech professors. Feeling very discouraged from this process. After getting rejected from all my schools last year I met with the director of my school who told me what to do to increase my chances of getting accepted somewhere and I have done EXACTLY what she has told me to do. Applied to 11 schools this year with 2 rejections and 1 waitlist so far so I have 8 more schools to hear from. Of the 8  schools though, 4 have sent out letters of acceptances to students and I have heard nothing from them  so I am not sure if I am still in the running or not :/ I am hoping my experience and relationships with my undergrad professors will pull heavily in getting me into their school (Where I am currently doing lab work and taking the autism classes). Just so fed up with this process!

I just took a serious look at my lengthy list of schools that I applied to. Now that I've been accepted to two, I've decided to eliminate any schools that I cannot picture myself attending. I'm not going to post my choices yet, just in case, but now my list of twelve has become a list of seven. Far more manageable!

Also: congratulations to anyone who was accepted/waitlisted this week! Great achievements abound!

Edited by argslp

Congrats!! I felt the same way when I got my first acceptance!  :D

thank youuu ! i am so relieved!!  congrats on all your acceptances as well!! 

and everyone else's of course ;)

Congratulations to all on your acceptances! To those who have yet to hear good news, I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Does anyone have any advice on where to look up scholarships? A particular website maybe? I'm a little stuck and could definitely use the help!

Congratulations to all on your acceptances! To those who have yet to hear good news, I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Does anyone have any advice on where to look up scholarships? A particular website maybe? I'm a little stuck and could definitely use the help!

Sometimes states have tuition waivers, which you can use if you work in an area of high need after you graduate.  You just have to start googling like crazy to see!

I also applied to Edinboro and Clarion. Edinboro was on spring break last week, so I'm kind of expecting to hear back this week. Clarion, looking at the "results" page, seems to take quite a while to get back to people :/ Best of luck!!

Does anyone have any idea when PA state schools will start notifying their applicants?! I think it's ridiculous that it's March 22nd right now and I still haven't heard from 3 of my 4 schools

I also applied to Edinboro and Clarion. Edinboro was on spring break last week, so I'm kind of expecting to hear back this week. Clarion, looking at the "results" page, seems to take quite a while to get back to people :/ Best of luck!!

I applied to Edinboro as well. I see someone on the results page emailed them about his/her status and found out he/she was waitlisted. That makes me think I was as well :( I decided to send an email to graduate admissions but I haven't heard back yet. 

I applied to Edinboro as well. I see someone on the results page emailed them about his/her status and found out he/she was waitlisted. That makes me think I was as well :( I decided to send an email to graduate admissions but I haven't heard back yet. 

I saw that too... wasn't sure if I should e-mail them yet or not but I'm thinking about it :/ It's better than outright rejection I guess!

edit: I don't really know how graduate admissions work, but maybe they're seeing how many people bite on their offers from two weeks ago before sending out the rest of their acceptances before april 1? a girl can dream!

Edited by hopefulslp1988

Never thought that I would still be waiting on 5 schools on March 24th. I figured I would know them all by March 15th. The wait is dreadful

Yes I agree! It's getting more and more frustrating to wait it out. The april 15th decision deadline is really looming. 

Never thought that I would still be waiting on 5 schools on March 24th. I figured I would know them all by March 15th. The wait is dreadful

Never thought I'd be waiting on so many schools at this point either! I'm hoping to hear from most of them this week but from what I've seen being posted on the decision board and on forums it looks like I might not know from some of them until April  :blink:

Never thought I'd be waiting on so many schools at this point either! I'm hoping to hear from most of them this week but from what I've seen being posted on the decision board and on forums it looks like I might not know from some of them until April  :blink:

I know it stinks!  I noticed you applied to Western Carolina.  Have you heard anything at all from them yet?  I heard they don't even send rejections, but just don't tell people if they aren't wait listed/accepted.  Do you know if that's true?

Edinboro is one of my top choices. I have only heard from 3 schools so far and have 8 more to hear from. Cant believe the process is taking so long and the wait is driving me crazy!!! Please let me know if you get a response from Edinboro. I am also contemplating on e-mailing them but am afraid to come off as annoying :/

Yes I agree! It's getting more and more frustrating to wait it out. The april 15th decision deadline is really looming. 

Agreed!

Does anyone know if graduate programs absolutely HAVE to let you know their decision by April 15th? Or it is possible that it can take until May before everything is said and done?

I know it stinks! I noticed you applied to Western Carolina. Have you heard anything at all from them yet? I heard they don't even send rejections, but just don't tell people if they aren't wait listed/accepted. Do you know if that's true?

I haven't heard anything from them and I'm not sure if that's true or not. However someone posted that they heard they sent out their 1st wave of acceptances and their 2nd wave will be sent out April 8th

I'm hoping it's before April 8th but who knows. Good luck!!

I know it stinks!  I noticed you applied to Western Carolina.  Have you heard anything at all from them yet?  I heard they don't even send rejections, but just don't tell people if they aren't wait listed/accepted.  Do you know if that's true?

I haven't heard anything from them and I'm not sure if that's true or not. However someone posted that they heard they sent out their 1st wave of acceptances and their 2nd wave will be sent out April 8th

I'm hoping it's before April 8th but who knows. Good luck!!

I applied to Western Carolina last year and I visited with the director this year. They never rejected anyone from last year so there was only a waitlist and an acceptance list. Last year I was told that depending on my rank in the waitlist, it would be anywhere from March until a week before school started to be accepted depending on if people drop or not. 

It seems like this link has nothing to do with admission offers, but it has to do with scholarship, assistantship, etc offers.  It says:

"Acceptance of an offer of financial support *(such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship)"

I applied to Western Carolina last year and I visited with the director this year. They never rejected anyone from last year so there was only a waitlist and an acceptance list. Last year I was told that depending on my rank in the waitlist, it would be anywhere from March until a week before school started to be accepted depending on if people drop or not. 

Oh wow that's kind of crazy. Thanks for the info!