Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

Feeling really down, as of late. I'm just starting the second year of my master's program and was getting all pumped to start looking into PhD programs, and out of the blue, I feel like I've lost all direction. I don't know what I want to study anymore. Nothing seems to catch my eye for more than a few months before I am bored with it. I've decided to put off PhD applications for this year, because it seems ridiculous to be looking when I don't even know what topic I want to study.

On top of it, my undiagnosed health problems are leaving me in pain 24/7, which is making everything else pretty hard.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this, but I can't see myself doing anything else.

Feeling really down, as of late. I'm just starting the second year of my master's program and was getting all pumped to start looking into PhD programs, and out of the blue, I feel like I've lost all direction. I don't know what I want to study anymore. Nothing seems to catch my eye for more than a few months before I am bored with it. I've decided to put off PhD applications for this year, because it seems ridiculous to be looking when I don't even know what topic I want to study.

On top of it, my undiagnosed health problems are leaving me in pain 24/7, which is making everything else pretty hard.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this, but I can't see myself doing anything else.

I'm kind of the same. i fell right out of interest in going to grad school, because I realized I needed to pinpoint my career goals after the degree, what actually interests me, and what's going to be in demand in 5-10 years.

Landlord woes, anyone? In desperation, I signed a VERY stringently-worded lease. I am married, and it says that my spouse can only visit 2 times a month Granted, this is a not-so-sweet temporary situation until we can work out a way to be in the same city, but I agreed because, again, desperate. Spouse stayed once in July and twice in Aug. Then I get a note asking me to explain myself. I stated the parameters of the lease and said that we are still within bounds (bounds? Seriously? With a spouse and all? What am I, in high school sneaking around visiting with my SPOUSE?). 

But I digress.

You know the landlord's reply? "It's calculated in 30 day increments from the day you moved in, not by calendar months." 

I believe the legal question here is, how would a "reasonable" person interpret the lease, which states only "months."

I've got better things to do than calculate the days until the person to whom I am married can visit again. Stick it, landlord pill![/quote

What?! That is so bizarre, like why the hell does it matter how often your own spouse visits? As long as you're paying rent, why does the landlord even care, sheesh. Kudos to you for sticking up for yourself.

Landlord woes, anyone? In desperation, I signed a VERY stringently-worded lease. I am married, and it says that my spouse can only visit 2 times a month Granted, this is a not-so-sweet temporary situation until we can work out a way to be in the same city, but I agreed because, again, desperate. Spouse stayed once in July and twice in Aug. Then I get a note asking me to explain myself. I stated the parameters of the lease and said that we are still within bounds (bounds? Seriously? With a spouse and all? What am I, in high school sneaking around visiting with my SPOUSE?). 

But I digress.

You know the landlord's reply? "It's calculated in 30 day increments from the day you moved in, not by calendar months." 

I believe the legal question here is, how would a "reasonable" person interpret the lease, which states only "months."

I've got better things to do than calculate the days until the person to whom I am married can visit again. Stick it, landlord pill!

how do they keep track of that stuff? if it's self reported, then don't report it.. I never follow stupid rules like that.

I ran through the same with my old apartment's 1 pet policy, which I thought was totally stupid, and ended up getting fined for it for having two cats. how did they find out? because I guess they can at random visit my apartment when they please, to look for stuff they can fine me on. But when it comes to a work order for getting the frig repaired, or a leaking water hose, I'd have to put it in writing to give them permission to come in, which takes no less than 2 months for them to act upon, so I had to do the shit myself.

but yea, landlords can be a-holes. they're real slick when it comes to making tenants sign the lease, and then screwing people over. I'm assuming they knew your stay was going to be temporary, so they have no reason to be nice to you anymore, and is therefore on the mission to milk from you every penny they can. if it's something clearly addressed in their 40 page long fine print that favors them, they'll call you out. if it's something that's not clearly stated in writing, they'll find a way to downplay that as something that you should have known in the first place. it's even worse when there are 2-3 witches in the room who all agree with each other.

but luckily, I think there's at least somewhat of a check/balance with these types of situations. I use google reviews and telling everyone I know about how much that place sucks.

Edited by spectastic

But I digress.

I've got better things to do than calculate the days until the person to whom I am married can visit again. Stick it, landlord pill!

That sounds legally questionable to me.  I'd talk to residential tenancies or legal aid about that.  Landlords are scum. 

Thanks for the show of support, Spectastic and Wildlifer. And yes, I am totally plotting my google reviews revenge already. Only 8 more months to go! As my spouse said, "All landlords hate their tenants. It doesn't matter how good you are or how much or on time you pay, they hate you for being a tenant." In my experience, this is true. And yes, soooo true that they can locate anything in fine print to support their goals (which is only one, to screw you out of as much money as possible), but it is never the reverse. 

Interestingly, after I responded to say that there is nothing in the lease that stipulates calculations of months by days rather than calendar months (except for the term of lease), I never got a reply. So we will see what happens. 

My latest concern is that they are tapping my phone and internet since it is through their router and I have been having weird interference during voice calls. The fun never ends.

Where are you in school?  If it's the US some of those things don't sound legal no matter how much the landlord has them written down.  I would contact student affairs and see if there is a legal assistance office on campus that can find out what the landlord is truly able to enforce.

So I managed to break my ankle two weeks before my program started. I went hiking with some future classmates and slipped, rolled it, and snapped the bottom off the fibula. Luckily surgery has been taken off the table but it's been 6 weeks now and I'm so sick of crutches and knee scooters. It was quick bonding with my cohort as they helped me down off the mountain and got me to the hospital but I'm definitely missing out on the fun part of being in a new city and program.

my job sucks because I have to take care of the units that nobody gives a shit about. we had black smoke coming out the stack today, a real fucking problem, and I'm sitting next to this operator trying to work with him. But he just got done working on the unit he cares about, and is now sitting there playing solitare on his phone, pretending I'm not there. what a fucking prick. 

It's so damn hot in LA this heat wave is dangerous. Last night was the second night I couldn't sleep. I tried the fan, a wet towel, sleeping in the downstairs living room, nothing worked until I settled on my car for the night. At least I got a few hours of sleep camping in my car with the windows slightly ajar. But we have A/C! WTF. My roommate/master tenant/lord of the house was sleeping and I didn't want to wake him and deal with the consequences. Managed to get through day but realized how depressed I was at the situation

Edited by Coconut Water

my job sucks because I have to take care of the units that nobody gives a shit about. we had black smoke coming out the stack today, a real fucking problem, and I'm sitting next to this operator trying to work with him. But he just got done working on the unit he cares about, and is now sitting there playing solitare on his phone, pretending I'm not there. what a fucking prick. 

What? What kind of a job do you have? That operator sounds ridiculous.

So I managed to break my ankle two weeks before my program started. I went hiking with some future classmates and slipped, rolled it, and snapped the bottom off the fibula. Luckily surgery has been taken off the table but it's been 6 weeks now and I'm so sick of crutches and knee scooters. It was quick bonding with my cohort as they helped me down off the mountain and got me to the hospital but I'm definitely missing out on the fun part of being in a new city and program.

Hey, that's what we graduate students get for trying to have a social life, right? Hope you'll be on the mend soon!

I may have to give my older sister tough love because she needs a serious wake up call. She's on the verge of pushing her own family away and I am just not sure how much more I can take. But it's difficult because she has two kids and I would be devastated if giving her tough love meant I couldn't see them. Not to mention, they live right next door, so I don't even know how to approach it. /sigh. It's so hard being treated like absolute crap by a family member you have helped so much over the years.... 

What? What kind of a job do you have? That operator sounds ridiculous.

he's just an old complacent jerk. i'll put it this way.. the guys who've worked at this plant for 30+ years isn't going to let a 23 year old kid come in and tell them what to do. they'll work with the new engineers and teach them what they know, but some won't let some young guy tell them that they've been doing it wrong the entire time. I'm the only person who cares about the utilities units, which are units that few people care about. people would lie through their teeth and say that something has been worked on, or they're busy with something else and couldn't get to it, when the reality is they just don't give a shit. I'm just going to finish my projects, take my vacations, and leave this cesspool

Someone stole my keys.

That's awful. And a huge pain in the ass. So sorry.

Nothing new on the home front, really. I'm still painfully exhausted. And one of my friends just asked me to last minute dog sit her annoying as hell, untrained, not housebroken, and often smelly Chihauhau this weekend. Sorry, no. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs (especially mine), but your dog is a jerk. I feel bad, but no.

MjAxMy03NzJlZjk4YTI3NjAzZjA0.png

Well this is just flat out awesome.

The faculty member who was leader the meeting asked a question and proceeded to stare at me after asking it. Which then made everyone else stare at me. Not sure why I was delegated to answer the question but I was. <_<