Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I asked my past professors to write me a letter of recommendation due by Oct 1st (by mail) and I asked them about the letters in August.  They all happily obliged.  The first two writers got right on top of submitting the letters and the third told me she would email me when she mailed the letter.  I emailed her last week just to check in and make sure she was still onboard and she said she would do it this past weekend.  I have no idea if she sent in the letter and I really don't want to badger her about it, but the not knowing is driving me nuts! AUGHHH. 

Well this is just flat out awesome.

The faculty member who was leader the meeting asked a question and proceeded to stare at me after asking it. Which then made everyone else stare at me. Not sure why I was delegated to answer the question but I was. <_<

That sounds awesome--I love being designated the answerer when I didn't raise the issue--and have no particular authority to answer it.

In that vein, I'm so glad for this venting thread today because I have had an anxiety-filled day. Trying to participate a little more in seminar discussions is a goal of mine for the semester. So today I actually did have some points that I wanted to raise. Apparently I didn't communicate them very well; in fact, I apparently communicated exactly the OPPOSITE of what I meant. Think: completely backwards, non-progressive ideas. So that's what the prof and other students heard and they started posing questions at me. I earnestly tried to answer them, unaware of how they had heard me, until it dawned on me what they'd heard.

So I guess I need to backpedal? Or straighten it out? Or let it alone and let them forget about it/continue to think I'm a backwards, ignorant jerk?

Maybe this is a teachable moment--my favorite backhanded compliment...

I have no idea if she sent in the letter and I really don't want to badger her about it, but the not knowing is driving me nuts! 

No, badger her!  It's for your future after all :-) 

"Hey there, just checking in to see if you had any problems submitting the letter this past weekend, and let me know if I can help in any way."

I emailed a prof to ask for a recommendation two weeks ago, and have I have not heard anything back. She's on sabbatical, so no office hours. If she agrees to write it, I doubt that she'll submit it on time. If she refuses, I don't know who my last letter-writer will be. I'm starting to get really worried that she just doesn't like me, and if I badger her at all I'll end up with a weak or even negative letter. Blergh.

I emailed a prof to ask for a recommendation two weeks ago, and have I have not heard anything back. She's on sabbatical, so no office hours. If she agrees to write it, I doubt that she'll submit it on time. If she refuses, I don't know who my last letter-writer will be. I'm starting to get really worried that she just doesn't like me, and if I badger her at all I'll end up with a weak or even negative letter. Blergh.

I've had this happening to me last year. She was not answering my emails, then she was busy grading the finals (yes, it took her all that time to the finals week!). I ended up not being accepted at the universities she sent her recommendation at and getting offers from other universities where I've had the best idea of asking another professor for recommendation only because she was so darn late. Was this a pure coincidence or she plainly sent weak (not wanting to think about any negative) letters to those universities? The other 2 recommenders were the same for all the applications.

Edited by educdoc

went to a party, got smashed drunk, and spent the last hour puking in the toilet … I'm too old for this! Now all of the other grad students in my cohort know what a responsible adult I am … I'm so embarrassed.

went to a party, got smashed drunk, and spent the last hour puking in the toilet … I'm too old for this! Now all of the other grad students in my cohort know what a responsible adult I am … I'm so embarrassed.

I know that feel; I have older friends who told me you'll be less able to hold your liquor as you get closer to 30, and foolishly I didn't believe them. Last time I tried to drink like I was still in college I felt awful and spent the next day in bed cursing the ceiling.

So from now on I cap it at 2 strong beers MAX and just enjoy the company and hopefully some delicious craft brews.

@ss2player that's definitely what I'm going to do next time! Honestly, I don't know what came over me. I know my own limits and I was clearly pushing them - I was just so happy it was Friday that I stopped caring. After spending Saturday pretty much comatose, I won't be doing THAT again for a while.

I've had this happening to me last year. She was not answering my emails, then she was busy grading the finals (yes, it took her all that time to the finals week!). I ended up not being accepted at the universities she sent her recommendation at and getting offers from other universities where I've had the best idea of asking another professor for recommendation only because she was so darn late. Was this a pure coincidence or she plainly sent weak (not wanting to think about any negative) letters to those universities? The other 2 recommenders were the same for all the applications.

No, badger her!  It's for your future after all :-) 

"Hey there, just checking in to see if you had any problems submitting the letter this past weekend, and let me know if I can help in any way."

Thankfully she finally emailed me and let me know that she sent in the recommendation!! And I got the update that all of my materials are in the system! Let the waiting commence! Eek!

Thankfully she finally emailed me and let me know that she sent in the recommendation!! And I got the update that all of my materials are in the system! Let the waiting commence! Eek!

Good luck! At the end of the day, she seems all right.

It's OK. Last Monday I went to donate blood for the first time before the class I TA -- passed out, woke up, vomited. Luckily my supervising professor is really laid back and no one saw it coming that I would have that bad of a reaction to donating.

If nothing else today will be hard pressed to be worse than last Monday.

I feel bad for you, but man... I've seen worse.

There's definitely more to the story, but I will spare you all the details. I mainly replied cause I was wondering why Edudoc thought I was talking to him. Caught me as a little defensive, lol.

No. I don't know you. Do you lie and cheat on your long term girlfriend?

Hahaha. No, of course. Sorry, when I read all posts, yours being right after mine, it looked that way. Sorry if something like this happened to you.

I've never cheated. I'm married and have 2 wonderful kids. Can't say the same (the wonderful part) about DH but we're working on it. :)

When I asked my boss a few weeks ago for yesterday off:

"Why"

"I'm taking the GRE"

*puzzled look*

"It's like the SAT for grad school"

"Ok. So what's grad school?"

This is what happens when you work at a grocery store, I guess? I bet the conversation about taking the day off for a conference will be good, too.

I have a new pet peeve.... People who keep on asking questions about things that are really obvious that can be found on the internet in a matter of seconds. Now I can understand when people aren't well educated, don't speak much English, or have limited access to the internet, for instance. But when someone is applying to grad school and keeps on asking silly things about admission requirements for various grad programs that can be easily found on each school's website, it really makes you wonder if grad school is the best decision for that sort of person.

WWhhheewww.... glad I got that off my chest. Now I feel better. :)

Edited by jenste

I pay for 50mbps internet through Comcast and it has been below 1mbps consistently today and I've had issues the past couple days on top of that. I went through all of their advice to get my internet back up, but all I get when I call customer service is "We can't tell you why you have this problem because we are having trouble getting into our system". Well, I'm so glad you're incompetent; I want money back for my lost work time.