Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

Would like to hear others' similar experiences. Or different experiences so I know what has gone wrong.

My orientation, which is really just 3 hours with the other students and department heads, got postponed possible to two weeks into the semester. I haven't met anyone outside of my lab.

My orientation, which is really just 3 hours with the other students and department heads, got postponed possible to two weeks into the semester. I haven't met anyone outside of my lab.

Hey, at least you've met the people in your lab--that's way ahead of my situation! We have--get this--three days of orientation-related stuff before classes start.

Oh--your "days and days of TA training"--yeah, that sounds grueling. But again, maybe you've at least met some people?

I'm locked with the same 25 people every day for 2 weeks.

Your situation is much more extreme than mine is. How come you can't meet anyone?

Edited by SymmetryOfImperfection

I hate the place I moved to, I just look around and nothing seems right. The apartment I moved into was so filthy - hundreds of spiderwebs and spiders, just disgusting bathroom and kitchen. I was stupid to sign the lease when I visited weeks ago, just after the viewing, without going over things properly. And so much about this country feels annoying and wrong and a hassle. I can't pay my rent with bank transfers. People shout from the very back of the bus "THANKS!" to the bus driver when they're getting off. My bag was searched at the airport. I had to show a receipt for a blender I was bringing with. I feel like I have so much  I have to do - review a film's translated subtitles for a friend of a friend by Tuesday, go to 6 meetings, write a shorter version of a paper to make it a conference presentation in 3 weeks, write a grant proposal and an internship proposal in 3-5 weeks, get a bank account, a cell phone, a letter from the immigration saying I can work, a tax number, I need to pack again in 3 weeks to go to a conference, be prepared for that conference, track down the last images I need for my presentation (from people that are now 10 time zones earlier due to where I've moved to), do my taxes for last year still (ugh), send in 2-3 forms telling the government that I've moved, and I start classes in a week so I will have that work on top of this stuff. And it's so dumb and all my fault because I procrastinated this to prioritize doing an art project of my own, which in the end didn't work out. I feel overwhelmed and tired all the time and the only place I have to vent about it is gradcafe...

I'm locked with the same 25 people every day for 2 weeks.

Your situation is much more extreme than mine is. How come you can't meet anyone?

Yikes! Yes, that would get old. As far as why I could not meet anyone, I have now that orientation week has begun, but I learned that there WAS a mixer and apparently I am the only one who didn't get the "exclusive" invitation. I kind of wondered why they would exclude someone they haven't even met yet, though...they haven't had time to dislike me yet. ;)

I hate the place I moved to, I just look around and nothing seems right. The apartment I moved into was so filthy - hundreds of spiderwebs and spiders, just disgusting bathroom and kitchen. I was stupid to sign the lease when I visited weeks ago, just after the viewing, without going over things properly. And so much about this country feels annoying and wrong and a hassle. I can't pay my rent with bank transfers. People shout from the very back of the bus "THANKS!" to the bus driver when they're getting off. My bag was searched at the airport. I had to show a receipt for a blender I was bringing with. I feel like I have so much  I have to do - review a film's translated subtitles for a friend of a friend by Tuesday, go to 6 meetings, write a shorter version of a paper to make it a conference presentation in 3 weeks, write a grant proposal and an internship proposal in 3-5 weeks, get a bank account, a cell phone, a letter from the immigration saying I can work, a tax number, I need to pack again in 3 weeks to go to a conference, be prepared for that conference, track down the last images I need for my presentation (from people that are now 10 time zones earlier due to where I've moved to), do my taxes for last year still (ugh), send in 2-3 forms telling the government that I've moved, and I start classes in a week so I will have that work on top of this stuff. And it's so dumb and all my fault because I procrastinated this to prioritize doing an art project of my own, which in the end didn't work out. I feel overwhelmed and tired all the time and the only place I have to vent about it is gradcafe...

Grad cafe seems great for venting--I am soooo glad to have found this thread! That apartment sounds like an abomination. Can't you bring it up now with the realtor/landlady/landlord? Seems awful to make you do the cleaning.

just got done with a 40 minute discussion with my roommate about man made climate change. he doesn't think that the billions of tons of CO2 isn't affecting the climate any more than its natural cycle. (by its, I mean the planet's natural cycle)

why do people cherry pick facts to justify their own beliefs, and not look at the big picture?? the data speaks for itself.. and no, it's not some political bullshit some guy, working for an GMO corporation or EPA, posted on the internet to try to instill fear in people and promote their cause. jesus christ I need to leave Koch and work for someone whose values actually aligns with mine.

Edited by spectastic

Two whole days back in New Orleans and I already had to take myself to the ER. Considering I never ever go to the ER, this trip was a big deal. Thyroid Disease, you picked a great time to randomly show up to the party. Thanks a lot.

My new university is taking almost a month now to process my records. I can't get access to university services (health care, email, internet, the library, the course management system, payroll). They can't pay me until I'm in their system -- they owe me three paychecks by now. But that's ok, it's not like moving to a new city involves sudden high costs. And it's not like I need time to set up the course I am teaching starting next week or would perhaps like to know how many students I will have and what their backgrounds are like, or might want to communicate with my students. And it's not like I need to be on my department's mailing list and be informed of any and all departmental activities. And it's not like I need any internet access or library access for my research, ever. And of course I am perfectly fine without access to health care services. That's only for losers anyway.

I have a 5k in 2 days (its my mom's first, and its a big deal because she was told by medical professionals 10 years ago that she would never walk again) and I just sliced my toe apart. Awesome.

Found this thread accidentally randomly pushing buttons on my phone glad I did.

Just finished my first year. Passed the comps, chose my dream lab and instead of chilling and gathering preliminary data, I have to focus on moving again, the third time in three years. Why? Because I chose to trust someone that I thought was a friend who cannot be trusted. Have you ever been a student and lived with a non student? The night before my first grad exam, there were people having a great time in the living room until midnight. Grad school is stressful enough without having to worry about someone paying their bills. I cant be put in that position again. Now I'm spending extra money and time to get peace of mind.

My new university is taking almost a month now to process my records. I can't get access to university services (health care, email, internet, the library, the course management system, payroll). They can't pay me until I'm in their system -- they owe me three paychecks by now. But that's ok, it's not like moving to a new city involves sudden high costs. And it's not like I need time to set up the course I am teaching starting next week or would perhaps like to know how many students I will have and what their backgrounds are like, or might want to communicate with my students. And it's not like I need to be on my department's mailing list and be informed of any and all departmental activities. And it's not like I need any internet access or library access for my research, ever. And of course I am perfectly fine without access to health care services. That's only for losers anyway.

That's incredibly frustrating. Rooting for you.

Venting thread, how perfect. My biggest vent right now is securing a job.I haven't worked in 2 weeks since my summer position ended and I'm already feeling like I want to scream. Anyone who purposely chooses to remain unemployed is nuts, this so called vaca plain sucks.

That's incredibly frustrating. Rooting for you.

Thanks! Update: Got email and access to departmental mailing lists, internet (still with some glitches), access to course management system. Will get soon: paycheck(s) (or so they say), access to library. Remains unclear for 2-3 more weeks, at least: access to health care. But on the bright side, people are doing their best to help, and also I've met most of my students, my first lecture is tomorrow, and I am excited enough to let some of this slide! (For now.)

I'm dealing with my loan companies. (Enough said, right?)

It should not be this hard for them to realize I'm in school.

Oh my goodness I can so relate. I just finished up school in May for my second BS and I had to deal with those sharks constantly. It's ridiculous for them to think full time students (even with part time work or assistantships) can afford to make loan payments while dealing with living expenses, car, phone, what have you. 

I had my first class and of course when asked "what do you expect from this course" I would be the one to say the stupid thing, that the instructor repeats 3-4 times after our introductions as an example of something the course will and should *not* be doing. And just generally feeling too stupid and scared, wondering if my interest in this field is true or fake. I should have studied biology to become a veterinary nurse, I care about animals a lot more than I care about Hegel. The bus driver made a passive aggressive announcement after I entered at the back of the bus (because that's HOW IT IS in most cities in Europe where there are other options than buying only single tickets) and this lady kept glaring at me for the whole bus ride even though I went up to the front to show him my student bus pass. My good friend who's also come to this country, just on a semester exchange, is also having a horrible time. They still haven't processed my award so I'm running low on money and I can't get any more response than "I'm sure the system is just clogged up." I should have never come here... eek I just need to learn to not be an embarrassing person but I think if I feel this way still in a month I'm going to start the plans to withdraw.

Edited by klondike

I had my first class and of course when asked "what do you expect from this course" I would be the one to say the stupid thing, that the instructor repeats 3-4 times after our introductions as an example of something the course will and should *not* be doing. And just generally feeling too stupid and scared, wondering if my interest in this field is true or fake. I should have studied biology to become a veterinary nurse, I care about animals a lot more than I care about Hegel. The bus driver made a passive aggressive announcement after I entered at the back of the bus (because that's HOW IT IS in most cities in Europe where there are other options than buying only single tickets) and this lady kept glaring at me for the whole bus ride even though I went up to the front to show him my student bus pass. My good friend who's also come to this country, just on a semester exchange, is also having a horrible time. They still haven't processed my award so I'm running low on money and I can't get any more response than "I'm sure the system is just clogged up." I should have never come here... eek I just need to learn to not be an embarrassing person but I think if I feel this way still in a month I'm going to start the plans to withdraw.

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying yourself. I can imagine it is rather difficult being in another country feeling that way. Who knows, maybe things will swing into place and you'll find your groove. But, if after some time and you still feel out of place, miserable, then withdrawing might be your best route. 

If you end up ever wanting to change career paths to the veterinary world, I have some tips. I got my first BS in Animal Science afterall! When you say veterinary nurse, I am assuming you meant veterinary technician/assistant. You wouldn't need to major in biology in order to go that route. Many community colleges offer veterinary tech programs and you would be done in 2 years and be qualified to take a state license exam. I would also suggest volunteering at a clinic, to get some experience. Many clinics will take volunteers and you may first end up doing odds and ends type work, but if they know you're serious about the field, they will work with you. Many of my classmates did this and were able to secure paying jobs by doing so.  Now, if you wanted to go off to veterinary school, it's a slightly different path. You don't have to be a biology major to get in, you just need the required prerequisites. And typically those are: a year of general biology, a year of general chemistry, a year of organic chemistry, a year of physics, calculus, maybe stats, and semester of biochemistry. In addition to those courses, you also would need to take either the VCAT or GRE. Again, depends on the school. If you high marks (3.5+), test scores, and LOR. You might have a chance. Veterinary school is one of the most competitive out there. For more info I would suggest the following:

https://www.avma.org/Pages/home.aspx

http://aavmc.org/

Not trying to sway you in any way, I was just offering some suggestions in case it ends up being a serious thought afterall. Only you know what is best for you :) I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide! 

Edited by wildlifer

Waking up at the crack of dawn for class is killing me. Or maybe it's my thyroid making me SO daggone exhausted and making me legs hurt/swell. Sitting still for six hours a day, I'm sure, doesn't help the issue. Apparently I was beyond spoiled in my first masters. Three classes per semester (that was full time, folks!) and all were night classes from 6pm-9pm. This one here? Not so much. I'm hoping the adjustment period won't be too long.

I'm tired. Grouchy. And have a headache. That's my venting recap of today.