Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I really need my license like yesterday. I missed my normal train for work, so I ran to catch the next one which would get me to work barely on time only to find out that the train was 15 minutes late! Then I had to take the train to my EMT class after work, and not only was my train was cancelled due to power issues in one of the tunnels, but the next train was 10 minutes late and no longer running express. So I decide to get off one stop early to beat the mad rush to the subway (the commuter rail was not going to the city, instead stopping at the last stop before Manhattan) and I couldn't find the stupid number 7 stop in Flushing. So I'm circling the street for 10-15 minutes before finally giving up and getting a cab, and as I am getting into the cab I see the train station, which I apparently passed twice while searching for it. By some miracle, I somehow was only an extra 15 minutes late to class. Thank God for cabs, but I really need my stupid license.

In nutshell, Fate decided that I should be late for all the things today.

Edited by kimmibeans

My school is closed because of flooding and so I can't go work at the library. I can't work at home. I've been sitting at the table for almost an hour. Doing nothing.  I really really need to write this essay. Motivation, where are you??

I can't deal with my nasty, nasty headache while conjugating French verbs anymore …. time to lie down and hope for it to go away :(

So I popped into my boss' office today to ask her a question, also letting her know that the plasmid she handed me last time didn't work. She just went off on me! WTF? It wasn't even a big deal! What a mistake to talk to her today. Seriously, why do we have to be your punching bag whenever something in your life doesn't go well?

Not exactly venting but I have been binge-watching Parks & Rec lately and cried like a baby yesterday when Ann and Chris left the show. Why why whyyyy did they make them leave? :(

My complaint is about this spoiler! I'm not caught up! :P Oh well.

(I'm not really mad, haha. And it was already foreshadowed when I left off last season.)

Oh, my actual reason to come to this thread: everyone who was supposed to help me run an event this semester disappointed me.

The hackathon co-host and participants disappointed me by bailing.

The person who was supposed to help me with part of organizing a club reunion hardly did anything they were asked to, and the only things they did do they did the bare minimum at the last second.

I could go into detail, but it's tedious. Everything came crashing down today. Both events are this weekend (Saturday and Sunday). .___.

...Still love them, though. <3

I was worried about missing the deadline to turn in my thesis because one of my committee members is indisposed until after it passes, and then the graduate secretary mocked me for being concerned about deadlines.

I will join the rant. 

My roommate is driving me insane. She is incredibly dirty. Not only does she do the usual stuff like leave all her things around the house, not do the dishes, but she will even leave trash laying around the house! As if the trashcan wasn't two feet away. I also don't think she has ever cleaned. Ever. She has only taken the trash out by leaving it in front of our front door. Of course, I'm clean and I've decided it's just easier to clean up after her than to argue with her about it.

What is really driving me crazy is her dogs. When we moved in, she had an old dog. Things were fine (besides the massive amount of hair the dog shed that she never bothered to vacuum up), but then her dog started to go down hill. She started to lose bladder control, so she would constantly be peeing everywhere. It took her a month to get diapers on this dog. I don't want to sound heartless because I felt really bad and I helped her take care of her dog. At the same time, I don't want a disgusting house that no one wants to walk into. Her dog finally passed, which was sad but it was clearly her time. Now my roommate has a puppy that she is not training. The dog pees everywhere, including on my pants this morning. This isn't normal puppy accidents. She has had the dog for months and she still pees after I take her out every hour. She has razor sharp nails that she hasn't gotten cut so I constantly have painful scratches all over me and it's destroying my couch. The dog jumps on people, furniture, and tables. It's getting to the point where I hate being home and my boyfriend doesn't like coming over. AND when I leave for the weekend, I come back and there is dog crap all over the house because she doesn't pay enough attention to them or get up to notice it or clean it up. 

Her room is incredibly gross too. Of course this affects me less, but you can smell it when you go into the hallway. 

This was a long post, but I'm so frustrated by it. I was going to say something yesterday, but then I calmed down and reminded myself that I will be gone in less than two months. Plus, she will be watching my dog for me over the summer, which I appreciate, so I certainly don't want to burn bridges. 

I just want a clean house  :(

I will join the rant. 

My roommate is driving me insane. She is incredibly dirty. Not only does she do the usual stuff like leave all her things around the house, not do the dishes, but she will even leave trash laying around the house! As if the trashcan wasn't two feet away. I also don't think she has ever cleaned. Ever. She has only taken the trash out by leaving it in front of our front door. Of course, I'm clean and I've decided it's just easier to clean up after her than to argue with her about it.

What is really driving me crazy is her dogs. When we moved in, she had an old dog. Things were fine (besides the massive amount of hair the dog shed that she never bothered to vacuum up), but then her dog started to go down hill. She started to lose bladder control, so she would constantly be peeing everywhere. It took her a month to get diapers on this dog. I don't want to sound heartless because I felt really bad and I helped her take care of her dog. At the same time, I don't want a disgusting house that no one wants to walk into. Her dog finally passed, which was sad but it was clearly her time. Now my roommate has a puppy that she is not training. The dog pees everywhere, including on my pants this morning. This isn't normal puppy accidents. She has had the dog for months and she still pees after I take her out every hour. She has razor sharp nails that she hasn't gotten cut so I constantly have painful scratches all over me and it's destroying my couch. The dog jumps on people, furniture, and tables. It's getting to the point where I hate being home and my boyfriend doesn't like coming over. AND when I leave for the weekend, I come back and there is dog crap all over the house because she doesn't pay enough attention to them or get up to notice it or clean it up. 

Her room is incredibly gross too. Of course this affects me less, but you can smell it when you go into the hallway. 

This was a long post, but I'm so frustrated by it. I was going to say something yesterday, but then I calmed down and reminded myself that I will be gone in less than two months. Plus, she will be watching my dog for me over the summer, which I appreciate, so I certainly don't want to burn bridges. 

I just want a clean house  :(

That's disgusting. I'm sorry. I once had a dirty roommate, but at least she tried to clean every once and a while. Seems like you have a decent relationship with her - are you sure you can't talk to her about this? Does she have mental health issues? My previous roommate had some issues that caused her to procrastinate on cleaning. It's not normal to live with dog crap and pee everywhere.

That's disgusting. I'm sorry. I once had a dirty roommate, but at least she tried to clean every once and a while. Seems like you have a decent relationship with her - are you sure you can't talk to her about this? Does she have mental health issues? My previous roommate had some issues that caused her to procrastinate on cleaning. It's not normal to live with dog crap and pee everywhere.

I get along with her. Mainly because I just let things go, and if something bothers me, I do it myself. I've tried talking to her about it, but it really doesn't help. Thankfully the floors downstairs are wood. I just figured I need to suck it up for another (less than) two months. I can do that. 

It probably sounds like my apartment should be condemned. Lol. I swear, it's actually clean. I'm just tired of cleaning up other people's messes. 

Edited by TheGirlWhoLived

I get along with her. Mainly because I just let things go, and if something bothers me, I do it myself. I've tried talking to her about it, but it really doesn't help. Thankfully the floors downstairs are wood. I just figured I need to suck it up for another (less than) two months. I can do that. 

It probably sounds like my apartment should be condemned. Lol. I swear, it's actually clean. I'm just tired of cleaning up other people's messes. 

I guess it only is 2 months, so it's not so bad. But I do think that someone who does not immediately clean up dog pee/poop needs to know that is not normal/alright. 

One of my past roommate's would leave cat throw-up on the floor for days... I think that's less smelly/gross, but equally unacceptable. In my case, I think she knew that not cleaning up after her cats was not ok. She did a much better job when living with people who she felt mattered more than me (significant others, for example).

I just don't think it's good to let people pretend like your hygienic concerns are not valid! Because I think either (a) they *know* it's not ok but know you'll deal with it or ignore it, so they don't clean, (B) they know it's not ok but have their own issues that make it hard for them to clean, © they have no idea this isn't normal and that's perhaps a bigger issue that I fortunately have not run into.

Edited by Maziana

Very short rant, but I recently noticed that my linkedin profile had been visited by two of the schools which had rejected me, on dates AFTER their rejections came. Guys. Come on. Don't reject me and then creep on my linkedin. Do you know how much it stings to even see your insignia right now? The one I didn't really care for anyway after my visit, but the other was one of my top choices to which I was rejected off the wait-list.  

My only guess is that they were looking to see where I ended up (which I have not updated on my profile yet). But still. It feels like I'm being stalked by an ex-suitor.

Oh well. My 2nd choice was happy to receive me AND hasn't been creeping on my internet profiles. Take note other 2 schools. 

Very short rant, but I recently noticed that my linkedin profile had been visited by two of the schools which had rejected me, on dates AFTER their rejections came. Guys. Come on. Don't reject me and then creep on my linkedin. Do you know how much it stings to even see your insignia right now? The one I didn't really care for anyway after my visit, but the other was one of my top choices to which I was rejected off the wait-list.  

My only guess is that they were looking to see where I ended up (which I have not updated on my profile yet). But still. It feels like I'm being stalked by an ex-suitor.

Oh well. My 2nd choice was happy to receive me AND hasn't been creeping on my internet profiles. Take note other 2 schools. 

I had at least one or two creep on my linked in immediately after interviewing me. I ended up not getting offers at those locations, which makes me wonder if my linked in had anything to do with it... but I'd say creeping after rejection is a little weird.

Vent about finding an advisor:

Program director and others suggest a particular prof, based on prof's interest and my topic.

I meet with prof.  My first question: what is your availability?  Prof's answer: I still have some room.

Prof then strings me along for weeks, giving mixed messages, running hot and cold.  I pick up on this and give prof lots of opportunities to say No, but prof never does.  Prof and I agree that I will send prof a nice package of info on my topic etc.  I do.  Wait a week.  Prof emails me to say prof never looked at any of my info but anyway has no availability.  Acts like prof already told me No and I've just weirdly sent the info.

Probably for the best because prof clearly has issues with communication and decision-making.  BUT STILL.  If you're not available, JUST SAY SO and don't waste your time or mine.

:angry:

So I passed my quals today! B)

End of day email arrives, via univ admin: "Congrats, mandarin.orange! We will process your paperwork.

And assess your $100 doctoral candidacy fee."

SNEAKY BASTARDS.

Congrats! I'm going to be stressing until I'm in your same position next year.

Congrats! I'm going to be stressing until I'm in your same position next year.

You're assuming the stress actually ends. B)

So quals are done, yes...now it's just onto "publish or perish," no big deal, right...? :blink:

You're assuming the stress actually ends. B)

So quals are done, yes...now it's just onto "publish or perish," no big deal, right...? :blink:

Good point, well made. To be specific, I'll be stressing *about quals*. I'll save the stress of how to actually get a job until I'm deemed eligible to stay in my program.

Im mega-stressed right now about my visa. I applied for a permanent residency visa in June last year (I am married to a US citizen). All I need right now is an interview date because we've slooooowly made our way through the rest of the process. Im terrified I won't get it in time and that I will lose out on my place in my program (DL to apply for a student visa is June 1, but that would mean throwing away all the work/money that we've put into this residency visa so we REALLY don't want to do that). I just wish the wheels of the immigration process would turn a little bit faster for me!

Haw! Yes, we've had a visiting student, of mysterious origins, around lately. She's flouted basic lab safety a couple times, too.

Oh goodness. I mean she would ask my PI and my coworkers questions like,

"should I aliquot out my sample into 50 tubes or 100 tubes?"

"should I spin down my sample?"

"should I read more papers on xxxxx?"

I was like, gurl srsly? you gotta go!

Edited by Quantum Buckyball