Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Glamdoll -- Good call on leaving the phone in the car! There really is no reason to be obsessively checking email, at least not for another week or two! :) Luckily the programs told me they'll accept late transcripts as long as the applications were submitted before the deadline, so it's all good.

Looking over past results, it looks like very few programs interview, and those that do don't do it consistently. I was having a minor nutty until I checked.

Hm, thanks for checking that; your post has helped me to put my own experiences in perspective.

I received an email from a professor I'm interested in working with asking me to have a skype meeting with them, but it was not explicitly phrased as an interview request. Based on your observation I speculate the department they're at does not interview candidates as a rule, but they decided they'd like to talk to me (most likely not only me) for some reason.

Edited by L13

Glad to hear things worked out, ashiepoo72 ^.^

Hm, thanks for checking that; your post has helped me to put my own experiences in perspective.

I received an email from a professor I'm interested in working with asking me to have a skype meeting with them, but it was not explicitly phrased as an interview request. Based on your observation I speculate the department they're at does not interview candidates as a rule, but they decided they'd like to talk to me (most likely not only me) for some reason.

This sounds like positive news =D! Hope your unofficial "interview" goes well. Im curious about what the prof is going to ask you. 

Thank you very much!

I got the impression I'll be the one asking questions, but I suppose there's a huge chance they'll be the one doing the weighing and measuring...

Also scratch that no-interview theory; looking through TGC's backlog it seems professors from the department in question contact students for skype meetings every year around this time.

It depends on the professor and the school. Lots of admitted applicants were never interviewed or contacted during application season. Sometimes professors just want to reach out because they have their own questions about an application. I think the only program I applied to that has more "consistent" interviews is Northwestern, but there's no official interview policy in place that I know of.

So a bit crazy right now.  One of my professors for my MA program (who I reached out to for a rec but who never got back to me) called me. Penn State reached out to him and asked why he didn't write for me.  They're looking at my application right now.  He is going to write them back and explain that I attempted to reach out to him but he did not respond in a timely matter.  He also asked me to send him my Personal statement and a summary of my writing sample.  He's going to write me an additional letter of recommendation to go along with the three already submitted.  Kind of freaking out....

Oh gosh I'm about to be sick...I logged into one of my applications to double check that the program received all the supplemental stuff. As I scrolled down the list of things they've received (ok awesome, all 3 recs went through. sweet, they got my transcripts. so my SOP and writing sample uploaded successfully, that's good....) I notice something strange. Looks like two professors at the program have submitted evaluations of my application!!  :wacko:

How am I going to LIVE for the next few weeks?!

Hide the beer, the adcoms are here  :ph34r:

EDIT : Im starting to worry. I havent received any emails/calls from my programs, but of course, its still early. Hurry UP!

Edited by LeventeL

Do you receiving information about funding with an acceptance letter, or do you receive it later? Also, this is a silly question but, how does funding work? Do you receive X amount per quarter/semester? As an entering first year, can you work for more money, if you're unable to live off of it? Likewise, are there policies against working outside of academia during grad school? 

I figure every school might be alittle different, but general information would be nice. 

I logged into the U-Mich wolverine access yesterday and something looks different.  If I remember correctly, the application status used to say "Submitted" somewhere in the jumble that is their system, but now "Submitted" is gone.... :unsure:   Maybe I'm going blind or imagining things.

Do you receiving information about funding with an acceptance letter, or do you receive it later? Also, this is a silly question but, how does funding work? Do you receive X amount per quarter/semester? As an entering first year, can you work for more money, if you're unable to live off of it? Likewise, are there policies against working outside of academia during grad school? 

I figure every school might be alittle different, but general information would be nice. 

It seems to depend on the program. IIRC, private schools tend to present you with the funding offer with your acceptance, while state schools tend to have an added bureaucratic step, so it may come later. Usually stipends are per semester, but I believe sometimes they can be weekly/biweekly. Again, it depends on the programs. Many schools will pull your funding if they find out you've been working on the side.

In my program, our funding is offered by the semester but is dispersed bi-weekly in exchange for 20hrs per week of work as teaching assistants. We are definitely not supposed to work outside our assistantships, but it is an unspoken rule that we can work to make extra money so long as it in no way interferes with our making timely progress in the program. I know in other programs there is no such flexibility.

If you are offered full funding, do not work on the side if you want to be safe.  Professors do expect you to focus on your studies and work obligations (as part of your funding).

I get my paycheck once a month during the academic year.  Don't worry, when you are offered the package, the details will be outlined.

I logged into the U-Mich wolverine access yesterday and something looks different.  If I remember correctly, the application status used to say "Submitted" somewhere in the jumble that is their system, but now "Submitted" is gone.... :unsure:   Maybe I'm going blind or imagining things.

Our eyes, they play tricks on us.  ;)

Is there anything on there indicating that something is missing? I'm sure you're fine!

This is just the calm before the storm, y'all! 

I'm just glad I start school next week...that'll take my mind off the waiting game! I'm gonna try and pull a Glamdoll and leave my phone at home so no frantic email checking...

Hey, when this is all said and done, would anyone wanna do an SOP exchange? I'd love to read your finished products :) I feel silly, since we don't know each other, but I'm glad I'm going through this with you guys!

Brown says they notify students 6 to 8 weeks after the application deadline.  The deadline was December 1st, which means we are in the 6-8 week window :wacko:

According to previous years' reports, Brown usually makes notifications in the second week of February. The probably don't count the 2 weeks of winter break in that total.

Edited by telkanuru