Number of Applications

bsharpe269

For those of you waiting for decisions or trying to decide on a program, how many schools do you recommend those of us a year behind apply to next year?

I have heard that 10ish is a good number but I would love to get some input from those of you going through the process now.

I would recommend as many as you can afford / as many you would reasonably attend.

I applied to 11 schools only because I really wasn't sure what I wanted. Going through the process has made me realize a lot (primarily, that my interest lies more in biophysical chemistry than in biomedical sciences) so looking back, I could have applied to fewer.

Just make sure everywhere you apply you would actually attend. It's a waste of time to apply to places you can't picture yourself going to or living in. Make sure every school has a handful of PIs you'd be interested in working with.

Good luck!

Good advice ERR_Alpha, look into places you can see yourself living, look into the programs. I also did 11, but I started out around 30 and started narrowing down from there. Also something to note is to have a safety school, because like a lot of us who dream for the top 10 even if you have the stats for it doesn't mean you'll get in. Out of my 11, I'd say around 1/3 were dreams/long shots.

Thanks guys! When you guys say safety school vs long shot, what exactly do you mean? Alot of the schools that I want to apply to arent super highly ranked (think top 30ish) but have "famous" professors who I want to work with. I know EXACTLY what I want to study and it isnt super common so im a bit limited. I do have a ton of knowledge in this area and i doubt there are alot or even any other appliacnts with as much knowedge in this area (just bc its so specific and uncommon) so I would be comming in some specific skills that those labs would otherwise have to teach me. Would those schools be considered long shots since the professor is well known or since the ranking isnt super high is that more of a safety. Those schools are what I would consider my dream schools/top choices.

It really depends. I only applied to 4 and it cost me about a grand and took me six months to prepare my applications. But I'm applying for ecology programs where you have to have a confirmed PI before you even apply. And a research proposal unique to that PI that you have been confirmed with. So it's a lot more work, I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible or take me a year to apply to 10+..

Edited by krishnalynn

The first time around I applied to 5 programs at 4 schools. Now that I've finished my masters, I have a much clearer idea of what I am looking for in a PhD, so I only applied to the program that really fit my intellectual interests and finances.

I would recommend that you apply to as many programs as you an where the program, research, etc. match what you are looking for and where you can craft really good applications (don't let your SOPs suffer bc you're applying to too many schools). 

I obviously come from a somewhat different academic environment but I have to ask: 11 applications mean 33 academic references. How do people manage to arrange that many?

To put it plainly, you have your three references post their recommendation letters eleven times (once per application). Not much modification is needed, if any.

I originally only applied to 6 because I was worried any more schools would be a burden to my recommendation writers. Now I realize that applying to more schools is very common.

If you are seriously interested in 10 schools, then apply away!

There are a lot of variables, like other people have said! I applied to 4 programs, and it only actually cost me $350. I didn't really apply to any "safety" schools, but applied to schools where I could see myself possibly going. I am also Canadian, and from what I've seen Americans tend to apply to a lot more schools (probably because there are significantly more schools in the US, haha)

I guess the number of applications depends on your situation.  I was pretty limited in where I could apply because location and fit were such strong determining factors!

So, I applied to 3. Luckily, I was a strong candidate for M.A. programs, and the programs were a great fit.  Three applications with $75 application fees for each meant I spent $225.  ETS sends your GRE scores for free to up to four universities, so I didn't pay anything in the way of GRE scores.  I did want to apply to a fourth school, but it turns out they closed their M.A. program in my field and forgot to update the website.  

Anyway, I got accepted to two of the three programs I applied to, and I got rejected by one, presumably because of fit (their focus is heavy in gender, work, and family and social stratification, where my focus is in religion and the sociology of reproduction that is nestled within the larger field of medical sociology).  

Instead of thinking of number of applications, check out a guide to graduate departments in your field if they make one, and narrow your choices down by:

1. your specific interests within your field

2. location, and

3. whether it's a terminal master's program, a master's on the way to a doctorate program, or just a straight doctorate program.  (Which one do you want most?  If you're not sure, maybe find a balance of all three within your applications.)

I think those three factors will help you get the number of applications you need. =)

ALSO, consult with your professors.  There were three programs I was interested in that I didn't apply to because the professors I asked about those programs immediately shook their head right after I mentioned the universities' names.

Edited by gingin6789

Thanks guys! When you guys say safety school vs long shot, what exactly do you mean? Alot of the schools that I want to apply to arent super highly ranked (think top 30ish) but have "famous" professors who I want to work with. I know EXACTLY what I want to study and it isnt super common so im a bit limited. I do have a ton of knowledge in this area and i doubt there are alot or even any other appliacnts with as much knowedge in this area (just bc its so specific and uncommon) so I would be comming in some specific skills that those labs would otherwise have to teach me. Would those schools be considered long shots since the professor is well known or since the ranking isnt super high is that more of a safety. Those schools are what I would consider my dream schools/top choices.

When people talk about programs being long shots, they generally mean that they expect their application will be outshined by the applications of others who they expect will apply to the program. When they talk about safety schools, they generally expect that their application will outshine those of the other applicants. This is a judgement call based on perceived weaknesses and strengths in their own application. It is generally measured by the individual program rankings/reputations and research here on GradCafe into who got in where in past years. The bottom line is that no one is going to be able to tell you whether particular programs are long shots or sure bets for you...this is a subjective judgement call you'll have to make on your own.

Having said that, I think you should know that any top 30 program is going to be very competitive. Maybe not as much as the top 5, but still very competitive. For this reason, I think it is wise to apply to more programs rather than few, so long as you can reasonably see yourself attending each program you apply to. Further, if there's only one professor at each school that you really want to work with, it will be even more to your advantage to apply to a large number of programs. You should know that getting into a school is really only half the battle...getting into a lab you want to work in is the other (and, arguably, more important) half. Most professors do not have the funding to take new students every year, and, even if they did, they would be overextending themselves if they took too many students. "Famous" professors will likely have many students who want to work with them, so it will likely be even harder to secure a position for yourself in their labs.

Unfortunately, this is not something you can plan for when choosing which programs to apply to. Even at this point in the year, I have been advised that many professors will not know if they will be taking students in the fall. (I haven't yet asked any professors this question myself because I have chosen to wait to do so until after I receive admission decisions. Accordingly, I can't say for sure whether this advice is true or not, but I suspect it is.)

So far, I've basically been saying, "more is better," but you should be aware that there are (obviously) downsides to applying to more programs. Besides the time and cost it takes to apply to more programs, you can run into problems when it comes time to interview. There are only so many weeks in the interview season, and if you are offered interviews at too many places, you will likely have to turn some of them down. This would be made easier if you got all your interview invitations on the same day, but you don't...they trickle in over several months. Having to decide which interviews to accept and whether you can buy more time while you wait for other offers to come in can be really stressful. It's a good problem to have, but it is a problem, nonetheless. The other problem with committing to a large number of interviews is that they take a lot of time. Whether you are an undergraduate, Masters student, or employee, accepting many interviews can be hugely disruptive to your normal schedule. This is something you will have to consider when it comes time to interview.

So, what is the best number of schools to apply to? This is obviously something you will have to decide for yourself, but I will say that I have been quite pleased with eight. In the eight programs, there is enough variety to accommodate my changing perspective as I go through the application process, and I have not been forced to turn down any interviews due to scheduling conflicts. I will say that it seems quite common to apply to more than ten schools when applying to experimental biology programs. However, some of the more computational professors have been surprised that I applied to so many programs when I only applied to eight. This doesn't really mean anything, but that's been my experience, for what it's worth.

Good luck in the next cycle! Hope this has been helpful!

Having said that, I think you should know that any top 30 program is going to be very competitive. Maybe not as much as the top 5, but still very competitive. For this reason, I think it is wise to apply to more programs rather than few, so long as you can reasonably see yourself attending each program you apply to. Further, if there's only one professor at each school that you really want to work with, it will be even more to your advantage to apply to a large number of programs. You should know that getting into a school is really only half the battle...getting into a lab you want to work in is the other (and, arguably, more important) half. Most professors do not have the funding to take new students every year, and, even if they did, they would be overextending themselves if they took too many students. "Famous" professors will likely have many students who want to work with them, so it will likely be even harder to secure a position for yourself in their labs.

Thanks so much for your detailed response!

It is tough because I keep hearing people say that I cant choose a school based on a single professor but the problem is that there are only about 15-20 people in this country that I really want to work with. One of "famous" professors works at a department that is strong in general in this area so if I didnt get in with him there would at least be fall back options... but I would be VERY disappo\ointed to work with those other options.. Another school has 2 professors who are very well known in my field (not quite the "famous" level but just below). I am thinking that if I get into either of those schools then I should go there even though they arent quite as prestigous as some other options. The 2 most prestigous schools with famous professors each only have 1 person I want to work with. I will of course apply but making sure I get into those labs would be very nerve racking.

You're very welcome. I definitely think research fit is the most important factor in determining where to apply/attend, even if that means applying to programs where there is only one PI you want to work for. I think you just have to be realistic about the difficulties associated with doing this, and maybe line up some backups if things don't work out exactly the way you'd like.

Thanks so much for your detailed response!

It is tough because I keep hearing people say that I cant choose a school based on a single professor but the problem is that there are only about 15-20 people in this country that I really want to work with. One of "famous" professors works at a department that is strong in general in this area so if I didnt get in with him there would at least be fall back options... but I would be VERY disappo\ointed to work with those other options.. Another school has 2 professors who are very well known in my field (not quite the "famous" level but just below). I am thinking that if I get into either of those schools then I should go there even though they arent quite as prestigous as some other options. The 2 most prestigous schools with famous professors each only have 1 person I want to work with. I will of course apply but making sure I get into those labs would be very nerve racking.

I applied to seven universities for the sake of the possibility to get into one of them. 
The schools that I applied share similar research topics that I am interested in, and thus,
it is the honor to do researches with the professors.

I am sure that my number will be higher and higher, if I still have not received any letters from the universities.  

Edited by Gap Sntin

Well, I applied to 4 universities and 5 programs because the GRE let me send out my scores to 4 schools for free. I have absolutely zero regrets about this (probably because I got into one of them). It probably really depends on how strong of a candidate you are, the competiveness of the schools which interest you, and your comfort handling risk.

I am currently coming out of my undergraduate degree and I know exactly what I want to specialize in. That specificity meant I was looking for particular faculty and specializations within particular departments - and even then I was looking at very specific aspects of the research interests of those faculty.

Because of this, I applied to only 3 schools. This might cripple me because many people view it as limited my chances of a future MA place this coming Fall, but because of how clearly I know what I wanted I could barely find three programs that seemed right - even after long conversations with existing faculty. The fact is, I know that I would rather not get into these three programs and spend a year off than go somewhere else. I had "safety schools" I could have applied to, but I knew that even if I got in I wouldn't want to go to them because their research wasn't aligned with what I wanted to do - it seemed like a waste of money. I also know that I'm on the fence about completing a PhD so practical programs with key networking opportunities were also important.

This being said, I know my circumstances don't align with the average undergraduate student finishing their BA.