Things worse than getting rejected from your top choice program.

Nautiloid

Rejecting your top choice's offer because 1) at recruitment all current grad students cautioned you about your POI (e.g. "Think hard about your decision," "POI's last two grad students left the program," "POI's current student is miserable," "POI is difficult/mean/distant/creepy.") 2) POI weirded me out when I met them in-person (e.g. remarked about my (attractive) phydical appearance, told me about former romantic partners...all without my prompting)...my advisors even advised with me not to accept the offer, even if I didn't get in anywhere else, when I told them what happened. I didn't need the convincing - I knew I wouldn't go there after I spoke with students and met POI.

AND

(Most likely) Being rejected by your safety (yes, I know there's no such thing - it's my shorthand terminology) post-interview because you blotch your interview because it was the same weekend as weirdo-creepy POI meeting and you're realizing, if safety doesn't take you, it's an across the board rejection...combine this with an extremely socially awkward (not weird or creepy) POI that you just don't know what do with...

Been rejected from every where else (or anticipating rejections because my programs require interviews - they all went out in Jan/Dec)

Edited by aphdapplicant

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Catching your 26-year old boyfriend trying to pick up a teenage girl online. 

That was very specific... 

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

Ex-boyfriend?

If not, you're far more forgiving than I, which is admirable.

I went to pick him up from work and confronted him while driving. He became "ex" the minute I left him on the side of the road.

Guess I'm not so forgiving after all...

Edited by PsycD

Being left on the side of the road by your girlfriend for what you insist was only "playful flirting".

ETA: now ex-girlfriend.

HA!

getting let go from your job while waiting on your last chance offer? (which might very well be an across-the-board rejection)

Ouch! 

Cheated on by your boyfriend right before finals with a very unattractive cougar, who is also his colleague,...and finding out from HIS brother who thought you knew. 

Edited by kittythrones

Cheated on by your boyfriend right before finals with a very unattractive cougar, who is also his colleague,...and finding out from HIS brother who thought you knew. 

On the bright side, at least you don't have to worry about maintaining the relationship while in grad school. 

Yup ;).

Would you like to take me up on that offer? I promise not to bite :P

On the bright side, at least you don't have to worry about maintaining the relationship while in grad school. 

getting asked a zillion times what's gonna happen with your relationship with your boyfriend when you move to another continent for grad school.

reminds me:

getting asked by your mother how much time she has to save up for your wedding... ... ... when you're not even engaged.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Having your boyfriend's mom tell you that you'd better hurry up and have children because "THE CLOCK'S TICKING!!!"  :huh:

The same boyfriend who likes little girls? 

The same boyfriend who likes little girls? 

Nope...a different one.  

I sure can pick 'em.