Opposite gender roommate

JessePinkman

Hi, I am a male! I am soon going to be looking for roommates and I am going to keep both options open (male or female). So I was just wondering how is the experience of living with a roommate of an opposite gender! Thanks! :D

I have lived with several different sets of roommates, and only once with a roommate of the opposite sex (I am female). I had previously only lived with other women, and I moved in with a male roommate because he was literally the only roommate I was able to find after living in a hostel for two weeks in a new city. The situation did not work out well, and I was very unhappy with him as a roommate. However, I'm not sure if this was because of incompatible personalities or because he was male, since he's the only male I've lived with so far. In general I would say I'm more comfortable living with other female roommates, largely due to similarities in communication style and issues surrounding bathroom use/nudity. 

Hi there fellow male!

My experience with roommates of a different gender are exactly the same as every experience I've had living with a roommate of the same gender, surprisingly. The only difference is that she sometimes locks the door to change in the room. But I'm pretty sure I have done that and many male roommates would do the same whenever we have locks. It turns out that women are people with individuality and agency and varying personalities. Shocker, I know.

You know how they say that girls tend to be cleaner than guys? HA. Yeah, that stereotype could not be further from the truth. From what I've seen it varies. Currently I live with... less than hygenic girls. Then awhile back I had a psuedo-roommate (a roommate's significant other who was also a good friend of mine who stayed over at our place more than she did at her own) who was fairly clean, fun to hang out with, and I had no issues with (she was my friend, after all). Then I've also had female roommates that were in the same apartment number, but different rooms. Also fine. When my roommates were more or less strangers, we generally kept to ourselves and within our social circles, no matter what gender. I found female roommates easier to talk to, but mostly because of my own personal tastes. There were varying levels of PDA/significant other-ship for either gender, but not much of a difference, really between genders. For both girls and guys, it varied between never really seeing the significant other and occasional to frequent sex, where I would sometimes be sexiled.

My parents warned me when I told them I would have female roommates that they might falsely accuse me of sexual assault, but I think that's kinda bullshit (and a harmful assumption, given how unlikely people who are actually sexually assaulted end up being believed). For me, roommates of either the male or female gender turn out to be decent people with their own lives who are only sometimes casually racist or sexist. But that's from my personal experience (did not include non-cisgendered experiences because I do not have any, but I expect it to be more or less the same).

I'm gay, so maybe it's a little different for me, but I've not experienced significant differences between living with either gender. I've lived with neat freak guys and gals, though I do have to admit that girls seem to be messier than guys in the bathroom and in terms of clutter, but guys are messier in the kitchen. :P

I've lived with gay guys, straight guys and straight women. (I'm a female.) It's really going to depend on your personalities. Make some ground rules when you move in so that both parties know what they're responsible for. Be respectful. Try not to leave a messy kitchen messy for long and things should work themselves out. 

I'm a girl (I would hardly call myself a lady!) & I live in a house with 4 guys. When I was in undergrad & living off-campus, I lived in a house with 5 guys & 1 girl. FWIW, I'm cisgender, & I think "queer" is the closest approximation to my orientation. I agree that guys are typically messier in the kitchen, but, besides that, I imagine it's the same as it would be if I were living in an all-girl house where all of the roommates clicked. I don't know how or why I've ended up living with mostly guys, but I'm more concerned about personality & how our lifestyles mesh than gender/sex/whatever else.

It always leads to sex. JUST KIDDING(not really). 

I lived with 3 girls(i'm a dude) in NYC for a few months, they were pretty good roommates. My current roommate is a girl and she turned this house to jerry springer(boyfriend baby mamma ect..). Overall I'd say i've had more problems in same sex living arrangements than opposite sex. 

I would actually prefer to live with guys, as long as they don't smell like gym socks and pee everywhere but the toilet. Both men and women can be slobs, though. I'd pick a clean guy over a messy female any day.

FWIW, I've had amazing experiences with roommates of different genders. The only bad experiences I had were with other women, but they seemed to have serious issues (and I don't just mean "I disagreed with them a lot so I'm calling them crazy"... They had stuff they were working out). Never had a problem with any of the dudes. This includes shared bedrooms, but not for very long for any of the "opposite gender same bedroom" situations (unrelated to how we got along; just no one wanted to have to share a bedroom if they didn't have to).

But I think I'm easy to get along with as a roommate, and I imagine this depends more on you than just on your roommate.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

No surprise - if you're as hot as you are modest!

Dude, get a life. You upvote all your own posts and now you created a new account to comment on your other account. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm definitely not SciencePerson101! Read my posts, if you don't believe me.

All your posts have been about how SciencePerson101 is so hot, modest, admirable and humble. You shouldn't have stopped taking your medication. The dragons have come back. 

I am female. I have lived with guy and girl room mates. Hmmm...my girl room mate kept eating my food and drinking my chocolate soy milk and that made me mad. She was also catty, or perhaps, I was too (most likely). The boys...they didn't ever do that. The only thing about them is the inclination to blob in front of the shared space (living room). But other than that, we got along okay, no cattiness at all. Not even when I scolded them for messing up my DVD collection. 

I guess for me, I'd prefer room mates that aren't friends - guys or girls. 

Edited by i.am.me