FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

For any other UCLA admit-ees, while the official financial information hasn't gone out yet I've been told that the current stipend is about 25k for everyone. And they also seem to have various opportunities for additional funding over the summer and travel funding and such, so it seems like a pretty decent deal altogether. If I go (and I personally will unless I get into MIT or something) I'll probably try to find a roommate, though, since the rent in LA is pretty high.

Hey! This is my third year applying to ling programs. I applied to CUNY ling, along with another friend  who had an interview and said the Prof informed her only a handful of applicants were interviewed and they only accepted 2 students.

Two months ago the Assistant Program Officer told me they accept 6 doctoral applicants and all of them will be awarded a 5 year scholarship that includes tuition, health insurance at low cost, and an annual stipend. Hope this helps!!!

For any other UCLA admit-ees, while the official financial information hasn't gone out yet I've been told that the current stipend is about 25k for everyone. And they also seem to have various opportunities for additional funding over the summer and travel funding and such, so it seems like a pretty decent deal altogether. If I go (and I personally will unless I get into MIT or something) I'll probably try to find a roommate, though, since the rent in LA is pretty high.

Great, thanks for the info!

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard anything from University of Connecticut or University of Michigan?

I am an international applicant from Iran.

Hi sinalin, Connecticut sent out Open House invites about a week ago. I can't say anything for sure, of course, but based on the email I got and my correspondences with some of the faculty members, it sounds like all shortlisted candidates have been invited :( I'm really sorry about that, and I hope Michigan works out.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard anything from University of Connecticut or University of Michigan?

I am an international applicant from Iran.

Hi sinalin, Connecticut sent out Open House invites about a week ago. I can't say anything for sure, of course, but based on the email I got and my correspondences with some of the faculty members, it sounds like all shortlisted candidates have been invited :( I'm really sorry about that, and I hope Michigan works out.

Michigan also sent invites a while back for shortlisted candidates, and their campus visit is actually next week. However, since they reimburse us up to $500 for the flight, I don't know if they're only inviting prospective students that are coming from somewhere close enough. 

Thank you very much for your notes!

I sent an email to Michigan and the admission chair said they are in the process of reviewing the applications! Do you think they invite international students too the campus visit too?

And i sent an email to Connecticut a week ago but have not received anything yet! Does it mean rejection? :(

Thank you very much for your notes!

I sent an email to Michigan and the admission chair said they are in the process of reviewing the applications! Do you think they invite international students too the campus visit too?

And i sent an email to Connecticut a week ago but have not received anything yet! Does it mean rejection? :(

Don't mean to discourage you but I think they have already contacted all shortlisted students (I applied to Michigan too but I wasn't one of them:( ) I'm just waiting for the rejection email that should come later this month (according to what happened last year). 

For those of you who heard from Stanford so far, what dates did you hear? Just trying to see if everyone was invited on the same day and I should rule them out or not :/

I have been invited to the Open House. I heard from them on February 3rd but I do not know whether they invited all the preselected candidates on the same day...hope this helps!

Hey future linguists! Happy to join the conversation here!

I see Hispanic/Spanish linguists here. I like it. Has anyone heard anything at all from Penn State? OR do any previous applicants/admitted students have any info on that? It's my #1 choice so I'm impatiently waiting it out. 

It seems like they let people know pretty late: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=penn+state+linguistics

Looks like UCSC sent out open house invites, I got one and see on the results thing that like 4 others (who use this site) just did too.

I got one too! Do you plan on going? I definitely will, since it's over my spring break and santa cruz is very high on my list.

Looking at past results, it seems like the typically sent out acceptances around this time...Maybe they're changing things up and want to meet us all first? Either way, I'm very excited about this!

I do plan to go, Santa Cruz isn't at the top of my list (particularly having an offer from UCLA) but they're still a very good department and I can imagine being swayed based on my impression of their department. And the $400 reimbursement potential is nice, most invites I've had so far are limited to $300.

It seems like they let people know pretty late: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=penn+state+linguistics

Yeah that's true. I guess if people post here about it, it's bound to be on the results page as well. Was just wondering if anyone had some additional info. My professor that graduated from Penn State let me know they haven't even met yet to discuss applications. :/ Thanks!

I just noticed that in the last couple of year MIT notifications all went out between the 14th and 16th of Feb ... I'm back to checking my email 30 times per day!

The notifications are coming out slightly later than usual this year. I believe the adcom is meeting sometime mid-next week!

I just noticed that in the last couple of year MIT notifications all went out between the 14th and 16th of Feb ... I'm back to checking my email 30 times per day!

Boston is attacked by the horrible winter storm. I guess there might be delay, and I've just heard from a MIT friend yesterday that their department shutdown only because the city MBTA is closed and no staff can make it to the campus without public transportation on Monday and Tuesday...

Don't feel stressed off.

Aaand my first rejection is in! :rolleyes:

I just got an email from CUNY. The rejection was very pretty decent, if it wasn't for the fact that the object of the email was "Graduate application" and it was from a general secretary, so I had to get to the end of the email to find out it was from CUNY.

Well, apart from my hurt hypertrophic ego, I'm not really sad. It was expected, and I wouldn't have chosen CUNY over Stony Brook anyway.

Congrats to those who got in!