2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

No idea! I suspect though that if two or more people have the exact same subGPA, they need to start looking at other averages to decide... But who knows.

Yeah, that's true. It may also be because it shows your GPA progression over time. So if you're GPA steadily increases over the 4+ years its a good thing. Maybe?

Hi everyone,

I would not worry so much about the cGPA. I have spoken to both U of T and Western about whether they look at the cGPA and they both said no. They probably only calculated the cGPA so that the schools could see what your GPA for the last year was, which does matter. My cGPA is at 3.5, which is really low, because I took a lot of pre-med courses in 1st and 2nd year (organic chem, calculus, physics)... i am not worried though so I dont think you guys should!

(I hope I dont have to be worried haha  :unsure: )

I hate how much they weigh my first undergrad degree in the Sub GPA..... good bye U of T chances.

Also... yes... that housing email made me spit out my coffee

Hi VancitySLP,

They counted your 1st undergrad degree in your subGPA?? And how long ago was it? I have a first degree also from many many years ago... Does it always count in the cGPA? Like someone said on another thread, it's like a prison record or something. I hope they take into account how a person has changed over the years.

Yeah, that's true. It may also be because it shows your GPA progression over time. So if you're GPA steadily increases over the 4+ years its a good thing. Maybe?

I can't see it being a determining factor. I'm sure they'd look at your statement of intent and volunteer experience and use that if subGPA was the same. I.e. I can see them calculating the cGPA automatically, but not really paying attention to it

Last year my friend received an acceptance from Alberta and Western around March 17th! Meaning if we're accepted, we may find out before April. The anticipation is killing me!!!

Last year my friend received an acceptance from Alberta and Western around March 17th! Meaning if we're accepted, we may find out before April. The anticipation is killing me!!!

I wonder if they accept really competitive applicants earlier? I also read that the earliest is April 1st this year but I think last year was the same.

Does anyone know if the programs value honours degrees a lot higher than general ones? I already have a general BA, and am enrolled in a second BA, this time an honours. I won't finish it this year, but found out that I can finish a general BA this year. I'd like to do this, because I think I'm done with undergrad regardless of if I get in this year, but I don't know if it will hurt my chance of getting in. 

I probably will just email my top choices and ask them, but I think they'll probably give me super vague answers. 

Does anyone know if the programs value honours degrees a lot higher than general ones? I already have a general BA, and am enrolled in a second BA, this time an honours. I won't finish it this year, but found out that I can finish a general BA this year. I'd like to do this, because I think I'm done with undergrad regardless of if I get in this year, but I don't know if it will hurt my chance of getting in. 

I probably will just email my top choices and ask them, but I think they'll probably give me super vague answers. 

When I spoke to Western about honours degrees she said that it wouldn't make a difference :) not sure about other schools though!

When I spoke to Western about honours degrees she said that it wouldn't make a difference :) not sure about other schools though!

I don't know specifically about Western but I think U of T says the same. I've always wondered about this because they say they don't only look at grades but also at "quality of academic background" in their booklet (at least for U of T). A lot of honours applicants would have taken advanced courses and done research or theses. Maybe that's not what they mean but they do separate quality of academic work and academic performance as two different components in their booklet. So I'm not sure whether a BA or a BA Hons. would make a difference... But I have wondered about that. It's kind of confusing. Edited by speechful11

I wonder if they accept really competitive applicants earlier? I also read that the earliest is April 1st this year but I think last year was the same.

Yeah they seem to do an early round of acceptances around mid March. I know two people that got accepted around that time (from Alberta, Dalhousie, and Western). They were both either extremely competitive or a part of the affirmative action policy. So yeah, I think some people get accepted early! And they weren't expecting a response until April 1st either.

The one thing that gives me hope is that applicants who are extremely competitive normally get acceptances from more than one school. So, once they turn the other schools down, it opens up spots for other people!

A professor from Dalhousie visited my university to give a talk for people interested in applying for SLP and audiology and he said that any research experience is going to help your application. So as long as your honours degree involved some research is will be a good thing! But I definitely don't think it's crucial. I know people who were accepted with just a regular BA (but they did have really high GPAs).

Edited by sab236

A professor from Dalhousie visited my university to give a talk for people interested in applying for SLP and audiology and he said that any research experience is going to help your application. So as long as your honours degree involved some research is will be a good thing! But I definitely don't think it's crucial. I know people who were accepted with just a regular BA (but they did have really high GPAs).

Ya I agree with you, I dont think the honours is crucial.. I spoke to mabel from U of T and she said that its more just GPA. And yes I've heard research is always a good thing!

My Dalhousie application finally updated! However, it states that they received my GRE scores after the deadline, at the end of January (which is weird since I sent them in December). Now I'm worried that will ruin any chances that I had... :unsure:

Anyone have any advice or insights?

My Dalhousie application finally updated! However, it states that they received my GRE scores after the deadline, at the end of January (which is weird since I sent them in December). Now I'm worried that will ruin any chances that I had... :unsure:

I'm pretty sure they didn't receive my GRE scores last year until early February because I wrote it really late. I ended up getting waitlisted last year but I honestly don't think it effected my chances at all! My sGPA was lower last year and I knew my chances of getting in were pretty slim so I was happy with being waitlisted... I wouldn't worry about it  :rolleyes: you could always send them an email about it though if you are concerned! 

They emailed me after the deadline and said they hadn't received my GRE scores even though I also sent them in December. They let me send them again and said it was no problem. They also told me in a separate email that they accept missing documents after the deadline. I wouldn't worry!

Could just be the date they got around to inputing it in the system, maybe?? I wouldn't worry too much about that... I'm sure you're fine.  

I'm STILL waiting for anything (confirmation email, changes to my online appllication, anything!). Starting to stress...Even though I know the website says it may take up to 5 weeks.   :mellow:

I'm pretty sure they didn't receive my GRE scores last year until early February because I wrote it really late. I ended up getting waitlisted last year but I honestly don't think it effected my chances at all! My sGPA was lower last year and I knew my chances of getting in were pretty slim so I was happy with being waitlisted... I wouldn't worry about it  :rolleyes: you could always send them an email about it though if you are concerned! 

They emailed me after the deadline and said they hadn't received my GRE scores even though I also sent them in December. They let me send them again and said it was no problem. They also told me in a separate email that they accept missing documents after the deadline. I wouldn't worry!

Could just be the date they got around to inputing it in the system, maybe?? I wouldn't worry too much about that... I'm sure you're fine.  

I'm STILL waiting for anything (confirmation email, changes to my online appllication, anything!). Starting to stress...Even though I know the website says it may take up to 5 weeks.   :mellow:

Ah, thanks for the reassurance! It made me feel a lot better. I was just worried that it would make me look like a "tardy" applicant.

@penelope46, I hope you hear back soon/within the next week! :)

Dalhousie re-appliers: Is anyone else glad they changed their essay prompt this year? I would have had a tough time describing my most valuable learning experience for the 3rd time (Fingers crossed that 3rd time's a charm this year!)  I found this year's personal statement a little easier to tackle though...I felt like I was able to include more information then previous years. 

Hey all,

This thread is so quiet this week! Any news, anyone? Nothing seems so be moving at McGill, which is totally normal but I keep checking several times a day just in case. ;-)

Speaking of McGill, I heard the department moved from Beatty Hall, where it used to be. Has anyone seen the new site or heard anything about it?