Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

I am trying to decide if I should apply to the HBSW at Lakehead Orillia. I think my chances of getting accepted are very high, but it would kill me to live in Orillia for 6 months. I am a city person, and I don't own a car or anything. Does public transit even exist in Orillia? 

If I don't get into any of my other choices, I will kick myself for not applying to Orillia, but I am struggling because it's $200 for the application. 

Hi Bettyg, 

I think you should definitely apply, I LOVE the program in Thunder Bay. I would call Lakehead with your questions, but just so you know, they only take 25 people in Thunder Bay out of 475 applicants, so chances of acceptance are not as high as you may think. I am not entirely sure about the numbers for Orillia, but I applied both to Orillia and TBay, with Orillia as my first choice. They can't accept one student to both programs, so I was only accepted to Thunder Bay (probably because I have experience working in an isolated northern community). I would call the school of social work and ask Sonya about the Orillia program, she can tell you more about the amount of applicants last year for the 60 spots available. I know that the last thing they examine is your grades, so they get to know you as an applicant first. The exam is also incredibly important, as is experience. There is a PhD and former lecturer at Lakehead in my class this year, and this is several people's 2nd or 3rd degree, so it's pretty competitive. I was very surprised to find that out when I called and spoke to Sonya last year. That being said, the wait list moves so if you are waist listed, you have a much higher chance of admittance than UofT, for example. 

And honestly, the program is so busy that 6 months FLIES by, I can't believe I am half-way through a degree. The way I see it, if you are focused on your studies, it doesn't matter where you are in the country. I haven't even had a chance to venture out in Thunder Bay because all I do is study and go to class, and that was especially true in the summer. Living somewhere for 6 months to get an HBSW, boost your GPA, become an RSW, and put yourself in a better position for OGS when its time to apply for an MSW is worth it, in my opinion at least. Not to mention chances of acceptance to advance-standing MSWs is MUCH higher. I have absolutely no regrets, even though I wish I was closer to my family in Toronto and my partner in Montreal. Doing the HBSW was the best decision for me, even though I was accepted at York for the 2-year BSW, where I could have lived at home. 

I am trying to decide if I should apply to the HBSW at Lakehead Orillia. I think my chances of getting accepted are very high, but it would kill me to live in Orillia for 6 months. I am a city person, and I don't own a car or anything. Does public transit even exist in Orillia? 

If I don't get into any of my other choices, I will kick myself for not applying to Orillia, but I am struggling because it's $200 for the application. 

This is a great reminder to big city people who wouldn't mind living in a smaller city or town (or for big city people who are willing to make that temporary sacrifice for their career) to remember to apply to schools that are far away from Toronto. I've noticed that the wait list moves quite a bit for schools like U of Windsor and not nearly as much for Toronto-based schools.

In my experience, a lot of Torontonians want to stay in Toronto, or else live close by or in a fairly big city so they don't feel bored (like Ottawa, Hamilton, or Montreal for instance) or they want to stay close to their social network for various reasons. So if you are flexible about where you live, take advantage of that. Someone else's loss could be your gain.

Edited by jenste

Hi everyone

I have a question about the UofT MSW application.
The first question for the written statement is "What experiences motivate you to (a) become a social worker; or (B) continue your social work education?" The second question is "Describe your attributes and experiences (e.g.: volunteer/ work.) that you believe are relevant to social work."

To me, the second question is clearly asking about professional experiences that relate to social work. How did you interpret the first question? Is this a place to talk about personal experiences that have motivated you to pursue social work?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi everyone

The first question for the written statement is "What experiences motivate you to (a) become a social worker; or ( B) continue your social work education?" The second question is "Describe your attributes and experiences (e.g.: volunteer/ work.) that you believe are relevant to social work."

To me, the second question is clearly asking about professional experiences that relate to social work. How did you interpret the first question? Is this a place to talk about personal experiences that have motivated you to pursue social work?

Hey there, 

That is how I interpreted the question as well. I wrote about personal experiences that motivated me in the first question and for the second question I wrote about volunteer and work experiences specifically. 

Nutella14- I also briefly talked about some of the social work-related courses I completed that motivated me to pursue this career. Don't be afraid to discuss your personal experiences without going into too much detail.

I have a question as well. The first part of the 2nd question is asking you to discuss your "attributes". I started by describing my values, skills and personality traits relevant to social work (e.g. empathy, compassion, etc). Do you think it's necessary to mention these things on a SOP considering that I won't be able to prove them on paper? I don't want to tell them what I can do, I want to be able to show it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks :)

Edited by Heif1

I have a question as well. The first part of the 2nd question is asking you to discuss your "attributes". I started by describing my values, skills and personality traits relevant to social work (e.g. empathy, compassion, etc). Do you think it's necessary to mention these things on a SOP considering that I won't be able to prove them on paper? I don't want to tell them what I can do, I want to be able to show it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks :)

Heif1,

You can prove your attributes by highlighting examples of when these traits shone during your work or volunteer experience or by explaining why certain traits are required in past work you've done and how those same traits are relevant to social work. If you give it more thought, you should be able to come up with other ways to do demonstrate your traits in your SOP. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Heif1,

You can prove your attributes by highlighting examples of when these traits shone during your work or volunteer experience or by explaining why certain traits are required in past work you've done and how those same traits are relevant to social work. If you give it more thought, you should be able to come up with other ways to do demonstrate your traits in your SOP. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Great point jenste, I totally agree.  Personally I had no room to list attributes separately because of the limited word count. I used that part of my statement to really expand on my experience and kind of make those attributes obvious through examples of the things I have done at volunteering or work. 

After writing UofT's statement I felt so limited when writing one for York and including all of those details in only 500 words, my goodness lol 

On another note, all my reference letters have been submitted and I finally feel like I can breathe a little lol :) 

How are everyone else's applications coming along? I keep avoiding submitting my statements cause I want to keep re-editting them haha  :unsure:

Heif1,

Thanks, I'm going to make some changes. I didn't have enough room to explain how I used those traits in my volunteer roles for that questions because I have a lot of personal experiences as well! Did anyone go 40-50 words over the word limit? I had trouble keeping it under 500 words.

^ I meant to say work experiences, not personal. b39, I'm not ready to submit them either. I need my professor and my school's career counselors to critique them first. I hope they'll be able to email me back on time :unsure:

Edited by Heif1

Hi everyone

The first question for the written statement is "What experiences motivate you to (a) become a social worker; or ( B) continue your social work education?" The second question is "Describe your attributes and experiences (e.g.: volunteer/ work.) that you believe are relevant to social work."

For the first question, I wrote two paragraphs about my personal motivations and one paragraph about paid-work related experiences that motivated me. In the second part, I focused solely on volunteering experiences (since those are very substantial in my case). 

Great point jenste, I totally agree.  Personally I had no room to list attributes separately because of the limited word count. I used that part of my statement to really expand on my experience and kind of make those attributes obvious through examples of the things I have done at volunteering or work. 

After writing UofT's statement I felt so limited when writing one for York and including all of those details in only 500 words, my goodness lol 

On another note, all my reference letters have been submitted and I finally feel like I can breathe a little lol :)

How are everyone else's applications coming along? I keep avoiding submitting my statements cause I want to keep re-editting them haha  :unsure:

I felt the same way. I started writing mine at the end of September so I know what it feels like to feel like it's never perfect. I keep re-editing and made so many changes. I used December 1st as my deadline, instead of December 15th, so now both my UofT and Carleton applications have been submitted. Since I'm going into finals week, I personally wouldn't be able to have an open application on my mind. I found the process to be extremely stressful - too many unanswered questions. But certainly take the time you need to keep re-editing it. It's really important because often you miss certain details. Also, try and get as many people as possible to make edits. 

I hope it goes well! 

Thanks, I'm going to make some changes. I didn't have enough room to explain how I used those traits in my volunteer roles for that questions because I have a lot of personal experiences as well! Did anyone go 40-50 words over the word limit? I had trouble keeping it under 500 words.

On some I went over the word limit by 20 ish words, others I was under 20 words, so I felt like it was a good balance. I hope they see if that way as well, and don't assume that I'm not a good writer who can stick to the limits. Some questions are more loaded than others so it's hard not too go over, I found anyway. 

I think if we would go over by 50+ words then it would be an issue... but under 40/50, I don't think so. Then again, what do I know? haha

Hi Bettyg, 

I think you should definitely apply, I LOVE the program in Thunder Bay. I would call Lakehead with your questions, but just so you know, they only take 25 people in Thunder Bay out of 475 applicants, so chances of acceptance are not as high as you may think. I am not entirely sure about the numbers for Orillia, but I applied both to Orillia and TBay, with Orillia as my first choice. They can't accept one student to both programs, so I was only accepted to Thunder Bay (probably because I have experience working in an isolated northern community). I would call the school of social work and ask Sonya about the Orillia program, she can tell you more about the amount of applicants last year for the 60 spots available. I know that the last thing they examine is your grades, so they get to know you as an applicant first. The exam is also incredibly important, as is experience. There is a PhD and former lecturer at Lakehead in my class this year, and this is several people's 2nd or 3rd degree, so it's pretty competitive. I was very surprised to find that out when I called and spoke to Sonya last year. That being said, the wait list moves so if you are waist listed, you have a much higher chance of admittance than UofT, for example. 

And honestly, the program is so busy that 6 months FLIES by, I can't believe I am half-way through a degree. The way I see it, if you are focused on your studies, it doesn't matter where you are in the country. I haven't even had a chance to venture out in Thunder Bay because all I do is study and go to class, and that was especially true in the summer. Living somewhere for 6 months to get an HBSW, boost your GPA, become an RSW, and put yourself in a better position for OGS when its time to apply for an MSW is worth it, in my opinion at least. Not to mention chances of acceptance to advance-standing MSWs is MUCH higher. I have absolutely no regrets, even though I wish I was closer to my family in Toronto and my partner in Montreal. Doing the HBSW was the best decision for me, even though I was accepted at York for the 2-year BSW, where I could have lived at home. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to say it is easy to get in because I know it's not and I know you worked very hard to be accepted! I just meant my chances would be higher than the MSW programs, because those are a long shot for me. I have to ask my references if they would be willing to do one more for me, but I am thinking if they agree I will go for it. Thanks!

Be careful with going over the word limit.  The admission committee wants to see that you can express yourself articulately while also being succinct.  For example, Laurier will not read past the word count that was called for.  I would say don't go over by more than 20 at the very most.  Everyone has the same word count to express what they want to express and going to far over the count may negatively affect your application.

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering what your thoughts were on whether to use academic references in answering question 4 of the UofT application (how a social worker would work with a current social issue)? I applied last year (and was unsuccessful) and did use some references in addition to my own ideas. I am debating what to do about my response this time around.

Also, has anyone else completed an SSW diploma in addition to their university degree? I am currently completing an accelerated SSW diploma and a field placement, and even though I am learning a lot about the field, I am concerned that the diploma may be looked down upon because it is at the college level.  

Laurier friends: How do I check the online status of my application? Loris will only show me my application and reference statuses, and OUAC brings me to a summary page. Nothing really indicates the status. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Laurier friends: How do I check the online status of my application? Loris will only show me my application and reference statuses, and OUAC brings me to a summary page. Nothing really indicates the status. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Hello LP3,

I applied to the 2 Year MSW at Laurier and you can not monitor the progress of your application online. LORIS will show you the progress of your reference letters and nothing else.

The university is supposed to send out an e-mail confirmation of reception of your application within two weeks of the application deadline. After that, you are stuck waiting for the final results via e-mail / letter. I am in this boat right now.

Hope this helps.

Edited by astre006

Hello everyone, 

Also, has anyone else completed an SSW diploma in addition to their university degree? I am currently completing an accelerated SSW diploma and a field placement, and even though I am learning a lot about the field, I am concerned that the diploma may be looked down upon because it is at the college level.  

I have an SSW diploma and an honors degree in psychology, I don't see why my diploma would be looked down upon when I already graduated from University!! Though it's at the college level and it won't necessarily increase your chances of being accepted to the masters , they won't reject you for having a diploma that's relevant to social work!!! Does anyone else think it would be considered useless?

Edited by Heif1

I have an SSW diploma and an honors degree in psychology, I don't see why my diploma would be looked down upon when I already graduated from University!! Though it's at the college level and it won't necessarily increase your chances of being accepted to the masters , they won't reject you for having a diploma that's relevant to social work!!! Does anyone else think it would be considered useless?

To Heif1 and Natalie Toronto... I absolutely don't think a SSW diploma would be looked down upon. That makes absolutely no sense. You're getting more education in the field that you're intending to study. You'll be better equipped as a social work student. Don't worry about it. There are so many different qualifications for health professionals - social workers may work in settings alongside child & youth workers, personal support workers, educational assistants... etc., all college educated. Yes, the MSW is required for advanced practice, but there is no way that having an SSW would hurt, or that attending college would look bad in some way. College teaches you much more practical skills than a liberal arts university degree, anyway. This is a plus on your application, for sure!

Hey! I did a college program after my BA as well. It was in Community and Justice services, so also related to social work. I don't think it would decrease your chances at all to getting in. Though the transcripts might not sway the committee becasue it is a college program - I think they would look it as your interest in and committment to getting into this field. You also gained a lot of skills and experience that are very relevant and will be useful in the Master's program. I agree with Nutella14 - this is definitely a good thing  :)

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering what your thoughts were on whether to use academic references in answering question 4 of the UofT application (how a social worker would work with a current social issue)? I applied last year (and was unsuccessful) and did use some references in addition to my own ideas. I am debating what to do about my response this time around.

I can't imagine it would ever be looked down on. If anything it just proves your commitment, and you will be better prepared for the program than you were without that diploma. Maybe try to tie it in to your personal statement to explain why you have chosen to do that program.

Hey everyone,

I posted earlier on this topic, but I've actually decided not to apply for my MSW this year - as I was going through the applications I felt like I needed more time to get experience, to really understand the field, and to know what I wanted to get out of the degree.

That said ... it's very interesting that the topic of college diplomas has come up! I've honestly been going back and forth on if it would be a good idea to do an accelerated SSW diploma. Those who have done a diploma after their degree, would you recommend it? Why did you choose it? Is it worth it? I've heard that it's difficult to find full-time work in the social services field in the GTA with just your undergrad, is that really true and does the diploma help?

Since I'm not applying this year I definitely want to up my hours so I can apply to more programs, but since so many programs ask for 2 years of experience that would be difficult to accomplish on just volunteer hours (I only have a few hundred hours). Also, I know plenty of university grads who didn't find a job for months after graduating, so I thought this might be a better use of my time. I definitely want to do my masters but I want to be ready for it!