2015 Waitlist Thread

Ansight

Franz, I think expressing enthusiasm -- gratitude, interest, but also patience -- would help you.

You know I hope I wasn't' creepy today- I had to do the transcript thing for Purdue, and I emailed the secretary telling her that I had mailed my transcript requests so she could make a note they were on their way (the other day I had emailed her back from the waitlist email telling her I was happy to be on the waitlist and asked her one question about it). Those are the only two emails I sent (or plan to send), but I hope that wasn't overly creepy or obsessive to tell her I already sent out my transcript requests- I just wanted to emphasize my interest! I have no intention of emailing Purdue or UW-Madison for updates, I know they will contact me if they want me. 

Hi all, first off thanks to everyone for all the helpful information; I've been mostly lurking but felt a lot less alone in this whole gruelling process because of this board.

I'm waitlisted at CUNY and UPenn. Does anyone have an idea of my chances of getting a funded place? I haven't got a clue. The reason I ask is because in my home country (I have US citizenship though) the deadlines for acceptance of places are different, and I'd like to start planning what I do next year. It would really help me out if I had some idea of whether I should count on getting a place, or rather assume I didn't and take it as a very lucky coincidence if it turns out I do.

Thanks!

I got a waitlist notification from CUNY last year on March 9, and the next day, they told me I was off the waitlist for admission, but on a waitlist for funding. The funding offer didn't come until April 15th, though. I think CUNY dips into its waitlist with some regularity (although I think there are reasons why that happens, too). 

Anyone has any idea on what wait listed students can do to improve their ranking? Is it necessary to express enthusiasm? Thanks!

I doubt there's much you can actually do to increase your odds of getting an offer, but if you're enthusiastic, by all means, express that. 

You know I hope I wasn't' creepy today- I had to do the transcript thing for Purdue, and I emailed the secretary telling her that I had mailed my transcript requests so she could make a note they were on their way (the other day I had emailed her back from the waitlist email telling her I was happy to be on the waitlist and asked her one question about it). Those are the only two emails I sent (or plan to send), but I hope that wasn't overly creepy or obsessive to tell her I already sent out my transcript requests- I just wanted to emphasize my interest! I have no intention of emailing Purdue or UW-Madison for updates, I know they will contact me if they want me. 

I think you'll be fine :)

I got a waitlist notification from CUNY last year on March 9, and the next day, they told me I was off the waitlist for admission, but on a waitlist for funding. The funding offer didn't come until April 15th, though. I think CUNY dips into its waitlist with some regularity (although I think there are reasons why that happens, too). 

I doubt there's much you can actually do to increase your odds of getting an offer, but if you're enthusiastic, by all means, express that. 

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Any chance I could ask you to elaborate on what you see as the reasons they are forced to dip into their waitlist? If it's not too forward then I suppose a similar question would be why you didn't attend yourself. Understand if you don't want to answer though!

Edited by marshmallowy

If you still haven't been offered acceptance, here's two pieces of news you might appreciate: 1) Last year Baylor accepted half of the people on their waitlist and 2) One of the students Baylor really wanted this year was accepted at MIT.

Source: I'm a Baylor alum taking a gap year and I'm sitting in on a class with a professor on the admissions committee. He mentioned (1) and (2) in class Tuesday.

I should clarify. By "really wanted" I did not mean to imply that they don't want everyone they accept or wait list. I'm sure if they extend admission or a spot on the wait list to an applicant, then they would be very happy to have that applicant. I just meant someone who was probably one of the first people they decided to accept.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Any chance I could ask you to elaborate on what you see as the reasons they are forced to dip into their waitlist? If it's not too forward then I suppose a similar question would be why you didn't attend yourself. Understand if you don't want to answer though!

They have a big department to start with, and I think a lot of their initial admits are usually people who get multiple offers. I'm sure CUNY is a great place for some people, but it felt like the professors weren't actually around that much. I was also told that the grad community was really strong, but it didn't actually seem like that was true (I've since heard this impression is fairly accurate, but I'm sure you could find someone who says it's not, too). I also very recently heard some concerning things about climate there. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad department and I'm sure it's the right place for someone, but it was not for me. PM if you want more details. 

Waitlisted at UConn! I can't believe this I'm honestly so excited. He said I'm high on the wait list and he thinks it is likely for me to move up. Can anyone weigh in on UW Madison vs. UConn?? I'm wait listed at both but somehow, I just feel more excited about UConn even though it's lower on PGR... My AOI are Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Cognitive Science, and to a lesser extent Philosophy of Science and Epistemology.

Waitlisted at UConn! I can't believe this I'm honestly so excited. He said I'm high on the wait list and he thinks it is likely for me to move up. Can anyone weigh in on UW Madison vs. UConn?? I'm wait listed at both but somehow, I just feel more excited about UConn even though it's lower on PGR... My AOI are Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Cognitive Science, and to a lesser extent Philosophy of Science and Epistemology.

Hey, do you mind sharing when you sent the e-mail? I sent one to Mitchell Green Wednesday and did not get any answer.  :(

I sent the e-mail in the middle of the night last night and received a response at around 10 this morning. Hope that helps, good luck

Thanks! And congrats on the waitlist! I heard it's a great program.

I don't attend either program, but it seems from what I'm hearing that UCONN has more of a sense of itself, while UWM may be in a bit of an upheaval right now with their chair and probably most recognizable scholar (Shafer-Landau) leaving, plus funding cuts that will prevent them from being competitive in getting top names to replace him. If nothing changes, UWM will probably take a hit in the next PGR (though maybe not), while it seems that UCONN is on the rise. All just speculation though. 

So, does Brandeis offer tuition waivers for their MA? I saw on the results page that a couple of ppl received merit-based scholarships. Would anyone mind giving the details (i.e., is it renewable? does it come with tuition and fee waivers..etc)? For some reason I thought they covered 50% tuition and offered TA ships for 2nd year students.

So, does Brandeis offer tuition waivers for their MA? I saw on the results page that a couple of ppl received merit-based scholarships. Would anyone mind giving the details (i.e., is it renewable? does it come with tuition and fee waivers..etc)? For some reason I thought they covered 50% tuition and offered TA ships for 2nd year students.

To the best of my knowledge, almost everyone receives the same funding package (I've heard that some receive full tuition remission, but only in rare circumstances). Such funding consists of a merit-based scholarship that covers 25% of tuition. On top of that, students can apply for a need-based scholarship also covering 25% of tuition (almost—if not absolutely— everybody gets the need-based scholarship). So 50% of tuition is typically covered. Everyone is also guaranteed at least one TA ship. Though, typically, students receive more than one. I have never heard of anybody getting a full tuition waiver at Brandeis; I've only heard of students receiving full tuition remission on the basis of their dossier alone.

Hey, do you mind sharing when you sent the e-mail? I sent one to Mitchell Green Wednesday and did not get any answer.  :(

Just FYI, this week has been very busy at UConn. Dorit Bar-On's interdisciplinary "ECOM" Research Group is hosting a workshop which runs Fri-Sun, and speakers came in as early as Tuesday. Mitch has been involved in a lot of that.

To the best of my knowledge, almost everyone receives the same funding package (I've heard that some receive full tuition remission, but only in rare circumstances). Such funding consists of a merit-based scholarship that covers 25% of tuition. On top of that, students can apply for a need-based scholarship also covering 25% of tuition (almost—if not absolutely— everybody gets the need-based scholarship). So 50% of tuition is typically covered. Everyone is also guaranteed at least one TA ship. Though, typically, students receive more than one. I have never heard of anybody getting a full tuition waiver at Brandeis; I've only heard of students receiving full tuition remission on the basis of their dossier alone.

Some do get full waivers, and everybody else gets the package described by Dialectica. See last year's funding survey for information.

That doesn't sound creepy, don't worry.

I've got a more general question regarding the length of wait lists at schools of varying prestige. 

I imagine elite schools would have a very small wait list to no wait list at all while wait list sizes grow as the perceived notoriety of the school decreases, but does anyone have any figures as to the numerical size of such wait lists and how far down one can reasonably expect the department to travel down that list?

The two schools I am wait listed at have so far been a bit tight lipped as to my status on the list, so I figure that while I wait it out it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone has any date regarding wait list sizes.

Cheers.

Just FYI, this week has been very busy at UConn. Dorit Bar-On's interdisciplinary "ECOM" Research Group is hosting a workshop which runs Fri-Sun, and speakers came in as early as Tuesday. Mitch has been involved in a lot of that.

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess I'll just wait then.

I decided to contact the DGS directly at Purdue to find out more about their waitlist procedures, and while he told me they don't have a ranked waitlist (which was not what was told to someone else), he told me that I was unfortunately low on the waitlist, but not "very low". I know the other person said they were 26th- a waitlist of over 26, to me, is quite long, and I know that UW-Wisconsin has an extremely long waitlist. I guess I am unclear as to why certain programs have such excessively long waitlists; why don't they just waitlist about 10 and just call the others "honorable mentions" or something?

Edited by Nastasya_Filippovna

I decided to contact the DGS directly at Purdue to find out more about their waitlist procedures, and while he told me they don't have a ranked waitlist (which was not what was told to someone else), he told me that I was unfortunately low on the waitlist, but not "very low". I know the other person said they were 26th- a waitlist of over 26, to me, is quite long, and I know that UW-Wisconsin has an extremely long waitlist. I guess I am unclear as to why certain programs have such excessively long waitlists; why don't they just waitlist about 10 and just call the others "honorable mentions" or something?

"Honorable mentions"

I like that. I'm withholding excitement over being on wait lists for a few schools I would like to attend precisely for the fact that I am aware there are cases of excessively long lists out there.

Does anyone think the loss of Russ Shafer Landau will impact people's decisions on whether to accept admissions offers to UW Madison, or take themselves off the waitlist? Is UW Madison's wait list ranked? How many people are on it? I imagine like 30..,.