Favorite current TV show?

beccamayworth

I can't believe Castle just got renewed for another season. I stuck with it for four/five seasons, and man, it had started to get pretty iffy, even if the first couple seasons were quite satisfying. I guess I'll just always be grumpy when one of Nathan Fillion's projects that is less good than Firefly gets renewed, though, when Firefly went off to TV Heaven so abruptly.

The problem with Firefly was that it had such a narrow audience. I mean, wild west meets intergalactic space travel? It was a good show though.

I agree with your comments about Castle though. I don't see it being renewed again. Stana Katic (Kate Beckett) took a good chunck of time renewing her contract for this next season, so that's a sign too that the show won't be on much longer. She's been working on other projects anyway, so it's only a matter of time before she splits completely to take on new work.

I'm a hulu/netflix person. I'm making my way back through Gilmore Girls. But am currently watching all the superhero/comic stuff: Flash, Arrow, Agent Carter, Agents of Shield, IZombie. The last list is completely the fault of the guy though and they tend to be on once I get home from campus!

I watched the first two seasons of Orphan Black last weekend. I LOVE this show. The acting is pretty incredible.

Tatiana Maslany is awesome.

I'm a hulu/netflix person. I'm making my way back through Gilmore Girls. But am currently watching all the superhero/comic stuff: Flash, Arrow, Agent Carter, Agents of Shield, IZombie. The last list is completely the fault of the guy though and they tend to be on once I get home from campus!

Ah, iZombie--I forgot that one on my list.  I mostly started watching it because I'm a Veronica Mars fan, and when I found out that Rob Thomas is behind iZombie too, I had to check it out. It's fun, but I feel like it could be better.

I mean, I didn't find it that weird; "science fiction" and "western" have historically been quite permeable genres. As per Gene Roddenberry's original pitch to the network, Star Trek was "Wagon Train, to the stars." Firefly just made that connection explicit in the set design, props, and costumes...if you subbed out the "old timey western themed [train, brothel, heist, whatever]" in any given plot for "intergalactic themed [train, brothel, heist, whatever]", it would have been a 100% science fiction show.

You're probably still right, but I'm indignant about the whole situation in part because I think Firefly would have made it if it had aired just six or so years later. TV has splintered and become a lot more niche in the past ten years, allowing lots of cool genre material that never would have made it on the big networks to flourish and find a home: you know this, you watch Orphan Black. (I love that show, but it would never have made it back in 2002). If Firefly had happened in the age of Kickstarter, I would have thrown money at it to make more seasons; even better, if it had existed even now, in the age of Netflix exclusives, I totally think Netflix or Hulu would've picked it up. But now, alas, Joss Whedon is on to bigger projects, making billions of dollars, and Firefly is dead forever. So sad.

I've moved back home between jobs, and I've been watching the Flash with my mother. It's cute! I always hate the "cub reporter" schtick in superhero media, so Iris annoys me, but everything else is great. Plus, I was a Marvel nerd growing up, not a DC one, so I don't actually know who the Yellow Flash is. It's a mystery! What fun.

Have you tried daredevil?

Taking daredevil slowly. Love the story arc, but have to be careful with gorier shows. They mess with my psyche if I don't watch in a certain mood.

Daredevil is fantastic, but in that case it is best taken slowly. I'm all right with most gore, but there were still a couple things that shocked me.

Now, when you say current... I assume you don't mean Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I've started watching again.  For the third time.

As for shows that are actually on the air, there's not much.  Sherlock, but those episodes are few and far between.  Trying to get into Doctor Who, but I'm stuck on season two and my heart yearns for Christopher Eccleston.

Oh, I know!  Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  It's amazing.  I just finished season one and I'm waiting impatiently for season two to appear on Netflix.

You can never watch Buffy too many times.

Sadly I never watched Buffy when it was on the air. My friend/roommate got me hooked on it in college. Watched it all the way through! I started watching it again but had issues with my netflix account and had to stop. Buffy is a great show, cheesy 90s dialogue in the first season notwithstanding.

We don't have cable/satellite or Netflix/Hulu.  So we watch TV on apps or websites - i.e. CTV hosts its current shows on its website and app, starting the day after they air the show on TV, and free for a week.  Using this method, my husband and I watch:

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Gotham

The Flash

Arrow

and we're still watching The Big Bang Theory

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is definitely my favourite right now.  Looking forward to Legends of Tomorrow, which is supposed to debut in 2016.  Supergirl also looks promising.

With no cable, I do miss watching my History and Discovery channel shows, like Mythbusters.  But I'll be able to catch up one day when I'm done with school and working.

We also have lots of shows on DVD: Smallville, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, M*A*S*H, Sanctuary, The Muppet Show, WKRP in Cinncinati, which we enjoy watching.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the last season of Happy Endings, which seems like a quirky almost-replacement of Friends, but not quite.

I started watching South of Nowhere, which is pretty old but pretty good. I also caught up to Game of Thrones, which makes me want to read the books and I'm mid-way through Flash.

I liked happy endings much better than friends. Also, the shows of the actors from happy endings post-cancelling were nice too (benched, weird loners and something else i'm forgetting) but cancelled too.

I know! I was so sad when the season ended! I'm going to rent them on iTunes and re-watch them because I don't think I picked up everything the first time.

Read the 2 books if you have time. It's the best writing I've read in 10 years. No joke.

Oh man, you guys, the Lifetime Network's show UnReal is kinda really good. The episodes are all streaming online. The basic premise is that it's behind the scenes of a show like The Bachelor except this show is scripted and the main characters are awesome and flawed. It's really entertaining.

Oh man, you guys, the Lifetime Network's show UnReal is kinda really good. The episodes are all streaming online. The basic premise is that it's behind the scenes of a show like The Bachelor except this show is scripted and the main characters are awesome and flawed. It's really entertaining.

That sounds sort of awesome. I might have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

I'm really liking Humans on Channel 4 (Britain) and AMC (US). It explores an alternative modern take on how society would interact with highly developed androids and AI. 

I'm currently re-watching Criminal Minds. Ever since they added a Linguist to the team, I can't help but cringe at her lines. Most recently "the worst thing you can do to a linguist is not communicate" |shudder|. 

I keep up with Orange is the New Black, House of Cards (the original British series is awesome too!), Scandal,  Grey's Anatomy. Older favorites: Arrested Development, The Killing, NCIS, CSI: NY. This is making me realize I spend too much time on Netflix :P

Steven Universe all the way. I know it's aimed at teenagers/college kids, but it's so rare to see any show (animated or otherwise) with such genuine emotion and well-developed female/POC characters.

Plus the music is ridiculously boss.

Edited by ss2player