MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

On February 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM, hypoart said:

Accepted to ASU! I've been logging into the portal daily just to see if I'd see an updated status and there was a big congratulations and admit letter waiting for me. 

If anyone else is awaiting a decision from them, check your portal! (not sure if all departments have posted decisions, though)

congrats! I got in too :) are you going to attend on March 23rd?

Hi everyone! I am happy to say I've been accepted to some schools! (printmaking)

FSU- Accepted
ASU- Accepted
Ohio University - Accepted
University of Hawaii at Manoa- Accepted
U Oregon- Interview (haven't heard back)
UF- Haven't heard anything yet

has anyone heard from UF or U oregon?! 

2 hours ago, keris said:

Has anyone else heard from NYAA? I was accepted, but with little scholarship and NYC costs it's looking grim. I also wonder how many people are accepted each year there for MFA painting? And any comparisons to PAFA? Thanks so much!

When and how did you receive your acceptance from NYAA? I haven't heard anything from them. 

32 minutes ago, daphnehehe said:

congrats! I got in too :) are you going to attend on March 23rd?

Congratulations! Yup, I think I'm gonna attend.  What about you?  Have you received any word on funding yet?

3 minutes ago, hypoart said:

Congratulations! Yup, I think I'm gonna attend.  What about you?  Have you received any word on funding yet?

Yes I am going to attend as well! I have not. I called yesterday and they told me funding packets will be sent out first week of March. That will tell us who receives assistantships ect. Have you heard anything else?? Do you know how big the program is and how many people they accepted? I hope I receive funding and an assistantship! 

16 hours ago, Beckstafford said:

Hi guys,

longtime lurker here.

was wondering if anyone has heard anything about ucla new genres. I thought after nothing last week it was a no, but then painting guy got a call yesterday, so maybe there is still hope?

Also anyone else going to the Calarts interview day marathon? I thought I saw someone earlier but I forgot who! 

For those who applied, Calarts doesn't have genres (i.e. Painting sculpture new genres), it's all art so if you haven't heard something by now it may not be good :/ 

best of luck to those with interviews!

:)

I'm going to the interview in person too. We're not suppose to bring anything right? I didn't see anything in the invitation about it...

5 minutes ago, daphnehehe said:

Yes I am going to attend as well! I have not. I called yesterday and they told me funding packets will be sent out first week of March. That will tell us who receives assistantships ect. Have you heard anything else?? Do you know how big the program is and how many people they accepted? I hope I receive funding and an assistantship! 

Ahh, thanks for the heads up about funding packets!  I haven't heard anything other than that funding was still be allocated.  It's nice to have a temporary advisor though.  I, too, have wondered about the size of the program.  I think the CAA page probably details the number who enroll.  I did a quick course catalog search and the highest capacity graduate class (for photo) that I found was 5 people. So, thinkin' it's not that big.

26 minutes ago, daphnehehe said:

Hi everyone! I am happy to say I've been accepted to some schools! (printmaking)

FSU- Accepted
ASU- Accepted
Ohio University - Accepted
University of Hawaii at Manoa- Accepted
U Oregon- Interview (haven't heard back)
UF- Haven't heard anything yet

has anyone heard from UF or U oregon?! 

still waiting on oregon!

I emailed them twice, and still got no response! It seems as if my emails are being ignored or something???  This is typical UCLA shenanigans, this situation is a exact replica of previous years freak out forums.  I did some research and they even forgotten to notify a few applicants of their admission decision.  Debating on withdrawing my application today...

22 minutes ago, hypoart said:

@AKW94

Still no word yet from UCLA?

1 minute ago, AKW94 said:

I emailed them twice, and still got no response! It seems as if my emails are being ignored or something???  This is typical UCLA shenanigans, this situation is a exact replica of previous years freak out forums.  I did some research and they even forgotten to notify a few applicants of their admission decision.  Debating on withdrawing my application today...

I remember last year when I applied I never even got an email saying I was rejected, all I had to do was assume lol. And I called both the admissions office and the department of art today and noone's answering...<_< Kinda just assuming rejection at this point

3 hours ago, keris said:

Hi 

Just heard from VCU, wait listed in painting. Hopefully you will hear soon!

Hey Keris, how did you hear?  I am still waiting to hear back from VCU painting after my interview.  Waitlisted is a good thing!  I'm scared to hear back from them so soon because I still have interviews to go to and don't know if ill be able to give vcu an answer so quick..

Side note, just got an email from RISD painting for an interview!! ! 

25 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

Hmm, thanks for reporting back.  You should keep your application in, you've put a lot of hard work and energy into it!  Hopefully we receive some news (either way, it'd be nice to have some perspective/direction) soon. 

Also, does anyone know if UCLA's application system reports the admission decision or do we really need to wait for an email/letter?

Edited by hypoart

27 minutes ago, Alment said:

Hey Keris, how did you hear?  I am still waiting to hear back from VCU painting after my interview.  Waitlisted is a good thing!  I'm scared to hear back from them so soon because I still have interviews to go to and don't know if ill be able to give vcu an answer so quick..

oh my goodness, you have so many interviews! Congrats!! 

34 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

my friend who got into UCLA (years ago), said this is the exact reason why he went to a different school: lack of contact from them. Apparently this even bleeds over to those who are accepted, which is ridiculous...

2 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

oh my goodness, you have so many interviews! Congrats!! 

Thanks!!  I applied to too many schools, but it's so hard to judge whats a good fit without visiting!  I'm also kind of a nervous wreck in interviews so, might get rejected everywhere haha. 

Alment, I heard from NYAA via email, on Feb 22nd (goes to question above- still learning how to use the buttons on this forum :) 

Edited by keris

Just now, Alment said:

Thanks!!  I applied to too many schools, but it's so hard to judge whats a good fit without visiting!  I'm also kind of a nervous wreck in interviews so, might get rejected everywhere haha. 

I highly doubt that. How many schools did you apply to?

Updates on SAIC & UC Irvine:

SAIC - Visual and Critical Studies - decisions will be out within the next 2 weeks
UC Irvine - MFA studio art is in their interview process & notifications going out soon. MFA Critical & Curatorial Studies (what I applied to) had a deadline extended to March 1 and the graduate committee still needs to meet.

1 minute ago, radredhead said:

SAIC - Visual and Critical Studies - decisions will be out within the next 2 weeks
UC Irvine - MFA studio art is in their interview process & notifications going out soon. MFA Critical & Curatorial Studies (what I applied to) had a deadline extended to March 1 and the graduate committee still needs to meet.

Did you email/call UCI? Did they say how soon notifications will go out? I can, of course, just ask them next week but I'm still curious. I wonder how many people they interview...

Just now, cpw0021 said:

Did you email/call UCI? Did they say how soon notifications will go out? I can, of course, just ask them next week but I'm still curious. I wonder how many people they interview...

i called and got this answer about 10 minutes ago. I mostly asked about the concentration I'm waiting on, so sorry, I don't have a timeline on the UCI Studio Arts notification :(

1 minute ago, radredhead said:

i called and got this answer about 10 minutes ago. I mostly asked about the concentration I'm waiting on, so sorry, I don't have a timeline on the UCI Studio Arts notification :(

No worries, I'm happy you're still in the running!

33 minutes ago, radredhead said:

Thank you for asking about SAIC MAV&CS! The department seems a bit behind, but it's a relief to know we still might have a chance.

1 hour ago, Alment said:

Alment, sorry there might be multiple responses here… i think i've got the hang of the response button now. i heard from VCU about wait list via email on 2/24. I think if you get in, you'll have till the deadline mid-April. They told me candidates have till April 15th to accept. That is awesome you are interviewing with RISD. It is an amazing school, I went there for undergrad painting and I had a great experience, feel free to ask me anything about RISD painting or Providence. I have been in the RISD grad painting studios and they are a nice size, with large windows. Do you by chance have any opinion of PAFA? (still waiting to hear from Tyler and UPenn). Thanks and Good Luck!

Edited by keris